Setting up more furniture:
Furniture2.jpg

The professional painters ended up re-painting the closet doors more times than I did before they finally reached an "acceptable" state. After more than a month, I finally got the doors back:
CursedDoors.JPG

The discoloration is just light reflection. I've got dark red nylon filament to 3D-print a new floor guide, and a model already created for sending to the printer once it's set up:
FloorGuide.jpg

Even though it took 2 months to get these doors painted, I'm glad they were replaced because they fit better with the theming than the previous Colonial doors.

Last edited:
Thanks - there's still going to be a black plastic "sign" with engraved white letters above the doors (like the turbolift signs in the TOS corridors) but I haven't decided yet what the text will be.

This side up....
Funny. :)

Since behind the doors will be hundreds of model kits, it will be something "Trekkie" that conveys stash/supplies/storage/etc. I haven't given it much thought yet because there have been more important things to work on, like getting this ready for paint:
RedAlert6.JPG

The glass will be glued behind the frame and inset into the wall such that the frame is flush against the wall, and although not likely to simply "fall out" it will be encouraged to remain in place by a magnet at each corner. It won't be hinged on one side like "The Conscience of the King" prop door because that panel is a singular deviation to accommodate the script and protrudes out of the wall further than the "normal" alert panels.

Metal brackets are being installed inside the wall, one will be on the bottom for the box to rest atop, and two on the sides as depth stops - because wouldn't it be just great if the box got accidentally pushed in too far and dropped behind the wall!
RedAlert7.JPG

Last edited:
I know right? The garage is beneath this room, so I thought it would be fun doing some sort of access hatch/tube (batpole?) through the floor, but then I woke up from that daydream. But then again, since this is a room and not a hallway, it makes sense that there wouldn't be any of those sort of "crawlspace" areas.

I appreciate the signage suggestions, but I'm holding to the context of this being a room rather than a hallway (so titles like "Shuttle Bay" or "Cargo Hold" don't quite fit). I'm thinking something more basic like simply "Storage Bay". Does anybody here know if this style of sign/plaque/nameplate has a particular name so I can "speak the right language" when shopping around for a local place to make the room's signage? They're white plastic with a black laminate and then engraved with the lettering:
Signage5.jpg

Each little bit added to the room has helped contribute to the overall look. First it was the color scheme, then the silver stripes (which are slightly too "bumpy" for my liking even with the thicker tape, but probably are better than mylar would have looked), and now the doors are helping with that corner of the room. This color of red looks much better than what I had originally selected for the doors. The front of the room will look better after the wall intercom and alert panel are installed, and the back of the room will look better after the desk intercom and desktop viewer are added. It's been a slow "trek" but this is not a race and it's a fun way of redressing the room.

I appreciate the signage suggestions, but I'm holding to the context of this being a room rather than a hallway (so titles like "Shuttle Bay" or "Cargo Hold" don't quite fit). I'm thinking something more basic like simply "Storage Bay"

Personally, I would have gone with "Hanger Deck", as famously misspelled on the show. Especially appropriate since it's a closet, where you keep hangers.

Does anybody here know if this style of sign/plaque/nameplate has a particular name so I can "speak the right language" when shopping around for a local place to make the room's signage? They're white plastic with a black laminate and then engraved with the lettering:

I don't think there's a special name. "Plastic Engraved door sign" should cover it. Your issue is matching the font. You need to find the oldest sign shop you can, that is still using the analog engraving equipment. Otherwise you will need to find a font match for a computer driven system.

Last edited:
Another detour. Mass Portal 3D printers have the unfortunate design flaw of loading/unloading filament from the machine's backside, which would be fine in a "laboratory" setting with an open workbench where you can easily access all sides of the printer - but for a workbench against a wall it totally sucks.
PharaohXD30.JPG

A 90 lb. printer on rubber feet is not easily moved, so I'm going to install a Lazy Susan bearing under the printer so it can be conveniently rotated for easy access to the backside (with a stop so it "locks" in the forward orientation). Consequently this area's progress is paused while I wait for one of these to arrive:
Rev-A-Shelf_4BS-10-1.jpg

(and I'll need to fashion a board too for the printer to sit on)

Meanwhile I got the red alert box and frame painted, and I'm ready to start on the electronics:
RedAlert8.JPG

And I started putting pictures back up:
Pics.JPG

Last edited:
Carpet tiles are glued down and it's finally looking like a living space again.
View attachment 1381983

My desk hasn't shipped yet, so next up is moving my wife's crafting desk back into her corner. It's not Star Trek themed, but it's a nice desk with a lot of drawers so she wants to keep it. A large peg board needs to go back up before the lower shelf and desk can be put in.
View attachment 1381984

The front of the room is now ready for the carpet transition threshold and hanging doors back up, which will start triggering the theming. (Yes, that's a Millennium Falcon towel over the door protecting the paint.)
View attachment 1381986

We are both feeling better each day and slowly recovering from the Covid.
Hope you both are feeling better and wanted to say good theme to create and hopefully will see the finished project

Yes, thanks - we've both fully recovered. It will take a few more months before this whole project is finished because I need warmer weather to do some of the painting. There are also more props to be built. And speaking of props, since I've got multiple glass panels due to "minimum order" quantities when buying my glass, and being able to get multiple frames cut from the wood, I'll be putting some up on eBay soon for anybody else wanting to add an alert panel to their room:
AlertFrames.JPG

That picture is merely the initial primer coat so they look really rough. Yesterday I completed the last of 3 sanding and painting coats on them.

Last edited:
Have really enjoyed being on this journey with you over the last 3 months and now it feels like you're on the home stretch, whilst you've still got more to do when it gets warmer. Thanks for sharing all your details and hard work so far.

Well, as fate would have it, I got a plant-on wall outlet cover modeled....only to discover afterwards it's wrong. Apparently my reference pics are from one of the recreations made for "In A Mirror, Darkly" (from a dismal series that I won't even bother naming). So this ends up being just a test experiment....and now I get to start over with making one that was actually seen in the original series. But, I thought you might want to see this anyway, since I haven't updated in awhile (been busy working on less-showy things):
Planton1.jpg

I think too, rather than slicing it exactly through the center as on the show, I will shift the "cut plane" backwards slightly so full-pipes extend out the top and side-ends instead of half-rounds. Doing so won't be exactly canon, but will join better with the gray pipes I bought for cable conduit. The piping will look better as full-round tubes instead of cutting them in half as half-rounds, and then more cables will fit inside them too.

Last edited:
After looking through a number of photos I've decided to stay with this design. I do want to keep with the yellow color, and the similar-shaped piece on the original sets is slightly more plain-looking and gray instead of yellow. The desk is gray and the pipes are gray, so a red or yellow plant-on adds the needed little bit of color. Besides, since this style did appear in "Trials And Tribulations" and "In A Mirror, Darkly" technically it's somewhat canon, and I'm deviating a bit anyway with having actual pipes coming out of it for cable conduits. Here's how the finished model looks, to be printed in 3 sections and glued together, with pipes added to show how the whole unit will look:

Planton2.jpg

Planton3.jpg

I've ordered a board from Maverick for the 3D printer's turntable assembly, so while waiting for that to arrive I'll continue modeling the other "junction boxes" for under the desk. This area will become the "GNDN" area, which is appropriate since this is where all the desk computers, cabling, and stuff will be. Besides, it definitely feels as such when crawling under the desk for maintenance.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back