Interest Star Trek TOS Dr M'Benga Medical or Daystrom Science Scanner

View attachment 1317532

This is also known as the "alternate" medical or "Spock" scanner that can be seen in these episodes:

A private Little War (Medical Scanner) (Used briefly at the beginning of the episode on Spock)
The Ultimate Computer (Sciences Scanner) (Used briefly near the middle of the episode to analyze the M9 equipment)

I thought this might be something fun to put together, since these are not currently available anywhere. :)

If you're interested in getting one, just post a reply.

I think a color wheel with a motor is over doing it, so I will be using a RGB LED instead.

This will be a limited run and I do not have any intention of doing any more runs in the future.

I've created a research thread here:

Latest update (5/8/22): I am happy to say that the prototype is finally finished and I have updated the price list below. Next week I will finish up the second prototype and will begin working on the run of parts. The run will take about 4 weeks to complete.
As time permits, I will be contacting everyone on the interest list to make sure that they want to remain on the list (which will now become the "waiting list") so I get a better idea of the number of parts that will need to be machined.

Prototype Kit (Not pictured: Template for tape and bolts for the switches):
View attachment 1570775

Finished Prototype:
View attachment 1573494 View attachment 1573495

Video of working RGB LED:
View attachment 1573502

Machined Parts only: $165
Complete kit Price: $180
Electronics kit only: $15
Assembled Scanner: $240

Interest/Waiting list:

1. jgk1701 (Contacted 4/27)
2. CE (Prototype)
3. bill313 (Kit)
4. sanjoelo (Built)
6. AJK001 (Built)
7. Lanboy (Contacted 5/7)
8. Peter1701 (Built)
9. Krieger (Kit)
10. Edgsw (Contacted 5/11)
11. eoconnor2305
12. Toki (Contacted 5/15)
14. Kunothewild
15. Turok96
16. DrMcoy (Kit)
17. Starchwreck
18. xlowes (Built)
19. tcbinaflash
20. Jediwannabe (Built)
21. Opus Penguin (Built)
22. Macnmike
23. strategicgfy (Kit)
24. laser1959
25. Spare
26. Spare
View attachment 1317532

This is also known as the "alternate" medical or "Spock" scanner that can be seen in these episodes:

A private Little War (Medical Scanner) (Used briefly at the beginning of the episode on Spock)
The Ultimate Computer (Sciences Scanner) (Used briefly near the middle of the episode to analyze the M9 equipment)

I thought this might be something fun to put together, since these are not currently available anywhere. :)

If you're interested in getting one, just post a reply.

I think a color wheel with a motor is over doing it, so I will be using a RGB LED instead.

This will be a limited run and I do not have any intention of doing any more runs in the future.

I've created a research thread here:

Latest update (5/8/22): I am happy to say that the prototype is finally finished and I have updated the price list below. Next week I will finish up the second prototype and will begin working on the run of parts. The run will take about 4 weeks to complete.
As time permits, I will be contacting everyone on the interest list to make sure that they want to remain on the list (which will now become the "waiting list") so I get a better idea of the number of parts that will need to be machined.

Prototype Kit (Not pictured: Template for tape and bolts for the switches):
View attachment 1570775

Finished Prototype:
View attachment 1573494 View attachment 1573495

Video of working RGB LED:
View attachment 1573502

Machined Parts only: $165
Complete kit Price: $180
Electronics kit only: $15
Assembled Scanner: $240

Interest/Waiting list:

1. jgk1701 (Contacted 4/27)
2. CE (Prototype)
3. bill313 (Kit)
4. sanjoelo (Built)
6. AJK001 (Built)
7. Lanboy (Contacted 5/7)
8. Peter1701 (Built)
9. Krieger (Kit)
10. Edgsw (Contacted 5/11)
11. eoconnor2305
12. Toki (Contacted 5/15)
14. Kunothewild
15. Turok96
16. DrMcoy (Kit)
17. Starchwreck
18. xlowes (Built)
19. tcbinaflash
20. Jediwannabe (Built)
21. Opus Penguin (Built)
22. Macnmike
23. strategicgfy (Kit)
24. laser1959
25. Spare
26. Spare
To Whom: I notice that I appear on your list—this is to confirm that I am in line for an Assembled Scanner. FYI, I tried the link to your website on this page and it just hung up as it started to load. Best. Mike.

Still interested in a built version. I gather you are going to do the kits first and then built up ones. Any timeline on those?

Still interested in a built version. I gather you are going to do the kits first and then built up ones. Any timeline on those?
I don't think the build-ups will take much time to do, but to be on the safe side, I'm going to estimate somewhere in the 6 to 8 week range with the kits being completed in about 4 weeks. This will give you guys some time to save your bucks! ;)

By the way, I do have a build thread coming, so stay tuned for that. I will post a link to it here once it's posted. :)

Last edited:
I don't think the build-ups will take much time to do, but to be on the safe side, I'm going to estimate somewhere in the 6 to 8 week range with the kits being completed in about 4 weeks. This will give you guys some time to save your bucks! ;)

By the way, I do have a build thread coming, so stay tuned for that. I will post a link to it here once it's posted. :)
Sounds good to me. Really looking forward to this.

The waiting list has been updated.

So far so good with the machining. I plan on machining the caps over the next several weeks before tackling the tubes.

Here's my build thread for those of you building a kit:

Last edited:
I'm done with machining for today. Here's a progress pic of the bottom caps made so far:

IMG_3493.JPG

I just finished all of the bottom caps and have already started on the top caps. I should have those done in a couple of weeks or less.

Also, I got chance to re-watch "A Private Little War" and "The Ultimate Computer" on Blu-ray. I had to pause both episodes several times, but was able to pinpoint exactly where the hole is located on the top cap. It's actually fairly close to the switches, so I've already re-located the LED on the prototype and will try to post some updated photos with a video sometime next week.
....and if you get METV in your area be sure and check out "Shore Leave" which is on tonight.

Have a great weekend, guys! ;)

Lol, these look great! I was shocked to see the Tribible container, I designed the label for that, I think for the Viacom retail store in Chicago. I don’t think I have ever seen one “out in the wild”. cool to see the M’Benga scanner Being done!

Lol, these look great! I was shocked to see the Tribible container, I designed the label for that, I think for the Viacom retail store in Chicago. I don’t think I have ever seen one “out in the wild”. cool to see the M’Benga scanner Being done!
I picked it up at the old "Star Trek Experience" at the Hilton in Vegas years ago. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back