Interest Star Trek TOS Dr M'Benga Medical or Daystrom Science Scanner

I spent the afternoon working on the prototype. Here's some progress photos:

IMG_3401.JPG

Here's one with the lines milled into the main tube. These had to be very carefully done:

IMG_3402.JPG

I'm currently working on two prototypes, simply because it's easier to machine two sets of parts instead of just one.
I should have both prototypes done by this weekend.

Due to the amount of work involved with cutting off the caps, I will be looking for a special cutting saw this weekend so I can start working on a batch of parts next week.
If you're no longer interested in getting a scanner, please post a reply so I can remove you from the list. Otherwise, I will be contacting you sometime in May for a payment. ;)

Will you still be offering finished pieces and if so, have you come up with a ball park figure on price?

Will you still be offering finished pieces and if so, have you come up with a ball park figure on price?
Yes.

Once I have the prototypes completed, I'll get one wired up and calculate an exact price. My estimate at this point is some where in the $200 to $300 range.

I should have the prototypes completed this weekend.
If you're interested in a "finished" scanner, feel free to post a reply and I'll get the waiting list updated. Thanks and happy Friday!

It was a busy day today. I ran into a problem finding the right size bolts for the switches, but I placed a bulk order which I should have in about a week.
In the meantime, I've worked on some prices (see original post on page 1) and some updated photos.
With the exception of the holes for the bolts (I had to order a special drill bit to go with the miniature bolts), I was able to complete the machining on both prototypes and purchase some of the "no skid" tape.

Here's a partially assembled prototype with almost all of the kit parts (bolts, tape template and LED holder with lens are missing):

Partially Assembled Kit 1.JPG

Partially Assembled Kit 2.JPG

While waiting on the remaining parts to arrive, I will be working on assembling the electronics, creating a template to go with the tape and machining some caps for the second prototype. I'm scratching my head a little in regards to mounting the LED, but I found a clear LED cap that might add a nice touch to the look of the flashing lights. It can always be discarded if the flashing LED looks better a-natural. :)

I received the tiny bolts today and will start working with those tomorrow.

I finished a majority of the electronics today. It looks like wiring up a scanner won't take much time, so I am lowering my estimate for a finished scanner to somewhere in the $200 to $250 range.
Once the bolts are installed and I've tested a couple of ways of installing the LED, I'll be able to come up with a final price. That should be in about a week.

I received the remaining parts (bolts and electronics) just a few days ago, so I was able to finish up the machining and get a scanner mostly assembled. I should have the final assembly done sometime tomorrow, so I'll be able to finalize the "assembled scanner" price then.

Here's the updated prices:

Machined Parts only: $165
Complete kit Price: $180
Electronics kit only: $15
Assembled Scanner: $240

As for the LED diffuser cap, I didn't like the look of it and it really reduced the amount of light coming out of the scanner.
I also tried a plain piece of clear plastic in front of the LED, but that also reduced the amount of light and I really like the look of all those colors.

I think leaving the LED as is or a-natural, really gives the final product an illusion of "scanning" as if it's really doing something and that's really what we want after all. :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back