Interest Star Trek TOS Dr M'Benga Medical or Daystrom Science Scanner

Any updates

I did want to send out a big "thanks" to every one who posted a reply with interest in this prop.
Frankly, I'm surprised at the huge amount of interest. I was only expecting about 2 or 3 people to respond
to my post.

Although I originally thought that this would be a very short, "weekend" project (which it could very well be)
it's turning out to be a complex project that I'm going to have to put on hold until I get a couple of current projects completed.

So at this point, I'm looking at October or earlier before I will be able to get started on a prototype.

View attachment 1317532

This is also known as the "alternate" medical or "Spock" scanner that can be seen in these episodes:

A private Little War (Medical Scanner) (Used briefly at the beginning of the episode on Spock)
The Ultimate Computer (Sciences Scanner) (Used briefly near the middle of the episode to analyze the M9 equipment)

I thought this might be some thing fun to put together, since they are not currently available any where. :)

If you're interested in getting one, just post a reply.

Once I get a prototype made, I should have a rough idea on a price ($100 to $200 range). I'm working on a blueprint, currently.
I think a color wheel with a motor is over doing it, so I will be using a RGB LED instead.

I've created a research thread here:

Interest/Waiting list:

1. jgk1701
2. CE (2x)
3. bill313
4. sanjoelo
5. Maxc
6. AJK001
7. Lanboy
8. Peter1701
9. Krieger
10. Edgsw
11. eoconnor2305
Kunothewild

Original post updated.

I know everyone has been patient, so I'll get started on this project on December 5th.
If anyone wants to be removed or added from/to the waiting list, just post a reply. Thanks. :)

If you use three SMD RGB LEDs in a staggered arrangement (following a curve), it might simulate the spinning effect.
Blinking in a scrolling/marquee sequence behind a diffuser, while also changing color.
The pattern could be three dots of one color, two dots off, three dots of another color, etc.

If you use three SMD RGB LEDs in a staggered arrangement (following a curve), it might simulate the spinning effect.
Blinking in a scrolling/marquee sequence behind a diffuser, while also changing color.
The pattern could be three dots of one color, two dots off, three dots of another color, etc.
I'll try it out. Thanks.

I have updated the main post.
I ran into a problem with the large aluminum I have been working with for the caps. Unfortunately, it's just too large for my lathe, so I've ordered some smaller material to work with.

Machining the threading inside of the tube and on the caps is time consuming, but I will make an attempt to get it to work. However, this won't take place until after the 25th. After that time, I will have some pricing options for the prop, possibly with or without threading.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back