Limited Run Star Trek TOS Dr M'Benga Medical or Daystrom Science Scanner

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I spent the afternoon working on the prototype. Here's some progress photos:

IMG_3401.JPG

Here's one with the lines milled into the main tube. These had to be very carefully done:

IMG_3402.JPG

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm currently working on two prototypes, simply because it's easier to machine two sets of parts instead of just one.
I should have both prototypes done by this weekend.

Due to the amount of work involved with cutting off the caps, I will be looking for a special cutting saw this weekend so I can start working on a batch of parts next week.
If you're no longer interested in getting a scanner, please post a reply so I can remove you from the list. Otherwise, I will be contacting you sometime in May for a payment. ;)

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Will you still be offering finished pieces and if so, have you come up with a ball park figure on price?
Yes.

Once I have the prototypes completed, I'll get one wired up and calculate an exact price. My estimate at this point is some where in the $200 to $300 range.

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I should have the prototypes completed this weekend.
If you're interested in a "finished" scanner, feel free to post a reply and I'll get the waiting list updated. Thanks and happy Friday!

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It was a busy day today. I ran into a problem finding the right size bolts for the switches, but I placed a bulk order which I should have in about a week.
In the meantime, I've worked on some prices (see original post on page 1) and some updated photos.
With the exception of the holes for the bolts (I had to order a special drill bit to go with the miniature bolts), I was able to complete the machining on both prototypes and purchase some of the "no skid" tape.

Here's a partially assembled prototype with almost all of the kit parts (bolts, tape template and LED holder with lens are missing):

Partially Assembled Kit 1.JPG

Partially Assembled Kit 2.JPG

While waiting on the remaining parts to arrive, I will be working on assembling the electronics, creating a template to go with the tape and machining some caps for the second prototype. I'm scratching my head a little in regards to mounting the LED, but I found a clear LED cap that might add a nice touch to the look of the flashing lights. It can always be discarded if the flashing LED looks better a-natural. :)

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I received the tiny bolts today and will start working with those tomorrow.

I finished a majority of the electronics today. It looks like wiring up a scanner won't take much time, so I am lowering my estimate for a finished scanner to somewhere in the $200 to $250 range.
Once the bolts are installed and I've tested a couple of ways of installing the LED, I'll be able to come up with a final price. That should be in about a week.

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I received the remaining parts (bolts and electronics) just a few days ago, so I was able to finish up the machining and get a scanner mostly assembled. I should have the final assembly done sometime tomorrow, so I'll be able to finalize the "assembled scanner" price then.

Here's the updated prices:

Machined Parts only: $165
Complete kit Price: $180
Electronics kit only: $15
Assembled Scanner: $240

As for the LED diffuser cap, I didn't like the look of it and it really reduced the amount of light coming out of the scanner.
I also tried a plain piece of clear plastic in front of the LED, but that also reduced the amount of light and I really like the look of all those colors.

I think leaving the LED as is or a-natural, really gives the final product an illusion of "scanning" as if it's really doing something and that's really what we want after all. :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.