Star Trek TOS divider screen for my Enterprise Desk

PhuketAussie

I'm finalising the design of my Enterprise Desk (posted separately) and the one thing missing from the design is this divider screen (shown on the left of the picture below). It looks to me like it could be made using PVC pipe approximately 1" in diamater, and cut close to 1/2" deep, and many of them glued into a grill/screen. Am I on the right track? Does anyone know the exact dimensions and type of material used?

P251_5_Obsession.JPG

Here's the almost complete concept drawings of my desk:

Enterprise Desk v3 #1.png

Enterprise Desk v3 #3.png

The set tour in Ticonderoga uses PVC rings, glued together and painted, to replicate the original dividers. They are 1" so I would say you are exactly on the right track.

The set tour in Ticonderoga uses PVC rings, glued together and painted, to replicate the original dividers. They are 1" so I would say you are exactly on the right track.
Thank you so much. Do you have any idea how deeply the rings were cut? I'm guessing half and inch but that might be a bit big.

I would say they are at least 1/2" thick if not 3/4". They are definitely substantial. Unless you're going for an exact replica I would go with whatever looks best for your setup.

I would say they are at least 1/2" thick if not 3/4". They are definitely substantial. Unless you're going for an exact replica I would go with whatever looks best for your setup.
okay, thank, I'll probably go for half an inch for ease of painting and depth. I'm not going for exactness, but I do want it to look convincing. thanks again :)

I have no doubt the original was a found item. But as no one has been able to locate thefolks up in Ti had to recreate as bext they could. They did a fantastic job as it looks pretty much spot on to the original.

Just a few minutes ago, I thought of doing my bedroom as Captain Kirk's quarters. Your desk design is a great update. Any chance you can provide links to other postings about your efforts?

I'm currently working on a TOS room divider. So far I've cleaned the 1" pvc with acetone, and snipped 15' of pipe into 1/2" pieces. For the border I purchased 1x2 pine boards. Does anybody have any advice on prepping and painting the pvc? Will I have to individually sand each ring? Man I hope not! :)

Any recommendations on spray paint - like which brand or color?

Thanks
20230318_001627.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back