Star Trek TOS: Dinnerware Props

AndrewRP

Good evening/morning RPFers!

I'm doing some research into the little background props used on ST:TOS. No real project in mind, just curious what most of this stuff was or how it was made. I love the idea that prop makers would grab a normal every-day item and spruce it up a bit for a show or movie.

One item that's caught my eye is the ubiquitous coffee cup. It's present in pretty much every episode. And yet, my internet searching has brought up no info. Seems like nobody has looked at this before. I've provided a couple of screen caps below. What do you guys think? Found item? Or painted foam cups? What size would you estimate that is? 6oz? 8oz?

kirk-wrap-season-two-1.png

ariane179254_StarTrek_1x27_TheAlternativeFactor_1160.jpg

I'm doing some research into the little background props used on ST:TOS. No real project in mind, just curious what most of this stuff was or how it was made. I love the idea that prop makers would grab a normal every-day item and spruce it up a bit for a show or movie.

One item that's caught my eye is the ubiquitous coffee cup. It's present in pretty much every episode. And yet, my internet searching has brought up no info. Seems like nobody has looked at this before. I've provided a couple of screen caps below. What do you guys think? Found item? Or painted foam cups? What size would you estimate that is? 6oz? 8oz?

View attachment 428662

View attachment 428661

This came up a few years ago and they are painted foam cups. I seem to remember someone find a nice screenshot of the underside that even showed some text. (name brand or something like that.

This came up a few years ago and they are painted foam cups. I seem to remember someone find a nice screenshot of the underside that even showed some text. (name brand or something like that.

I figured it might be something like that. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the reply!

Another item, more famous than the coffee cups, is the Saurian Brandy bottle that popped up in several episodes. It's a commemorative Dickel Whiskey bottle.

theenemywithinhd276.jpg
The Enemy Within (From TrekCore)

byanyothernamehd1001.jpg
By Any Other Name (TrekCore)

Last edited:
Yeah I remember that, great shot! :lol

iirc they just lifted some cups from the commissary and painted them

Yeah I remember that, great shot! :lol

iirc they just lifted some cups from the commissary and painted them
Yeah, at least that's the story GR tells in TMOST. The Danish modern S/P shakers were relegated to sickbay and the prop buyer was told to go grab a pair from the commissary.

And speaking of Danish modern S/P shakers, I've seen them turn up on Thunderbirds as coffee pots. Seriously. Both the correct sickbay Steltons and the really similar ones, just with a handle and spout added. Anderson's prop and model shops were always brilliant. :)

Believe it or not I've been interested in finding these cups for years. Yeah, I suppose they could have been painted, however, on more than one occasion people drink out of them (or at least hold the cups to their lips). It just strikes me as unhealthy for them to press a piece of painted syrofoam up to their lips on a regular basis.

View attachment 428662

View attachment 428661

The Star Trek flatware has been identified as more Danish Modern design. Made in Japan, but the exact manufacturer is unknown.
There's more info on this TrekBBS page: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=83851

View attachment 429146
Space Seed (TrekCore)

View attachment 429150
The Naked Time (TrekCore)

View attachment 429151
The Naked Time (TrekCore)
TOS was Danish modern all over the place. The furniture, the dinnerware, you name it. Also the craft service table was always piled high with Danishes. Those nummy cheese ones.

Believe it or not I've been interested in finding these cups for years. Yeah, I suppose they could have been painted, however, on more than one occasion people drink out of them (or at least hold the cups to their lips). It just strikes me as unhealthy for them to press a piece of painted syrofoam up to their lips on a regular basis.

I thought about them being painted... but that's a lot of work to go through for a throw-away prop. Paint and the black stripe. Which could be hazardous to the drinker. Plus, the paint might eat through the foam. Maybe they're plastic?

Or could they actually be vacuum formed plastic rather than styrofoam? Much easier to spray with a rattle can, since the lacquers of the day would eat right through the foam. Just throwin' that out there.

I thought about them being painted... but that's a lot of work to go through for a throw-away prop. Paint and the black stripe. Which could be hazardous to the drinker. Plus, the paint might eat through the foam. Maybe they're plastic?

Or could they actually be vacuum formed plastic rather than styrofoam? Much easier to spray with a rattle can, since the lacquers of the day would eat right through the foam. Just throwin' that out there.

Why use spraypaint? they could have painted them with acrylic paint and a brush.... It could also have been paper-cup with the original gray color and they just added the stripe.

How much you guys wanna bet Markpoon's factory could replicate the flatware even for a fairly reasonable cost!

I would love to have a set of reusable plastic or ceramic coffee cups. I've often thought that they might have something like this on one side.

Cup.jpg

The cup looks to have a rolled edge on the top and the black line looks like it's just liner tape (Chartpak)
Cup could be painted since it has a dull finish where the black line is glossy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back