Star Trek TOS Captain's Chair buttons and switches

NR16020

Considering building a Captain's chair from TOS. The build itself seems pretty simple. The only problem I can find with it is that the various switches on the chair are very hard to find, and when found, are often very expensive. I'm wondering if anyone has ever 3-d printed any, and if so, whether they'd be willing to share the files. I'd attempt to render them myself, but it's way beyond my capacity. In other words, I can't do it, Captain! I don't have the power!

Thanks!

Check with Steve Neill here on the boards. Can't promise anything but he may be able to help you.

Cheers!

Ted.

I've been looking for these too (white push button), the expensive replicas seem to have dried up. Please post an update or PM if you are able to find some.

Last edited:
photo (1).jpgIMG_2156.JPG I built a Captains chair a few years ago .I made the white buttons from wooden dowels the bases are marble holders . I mounted large push button switches under the dowels so that they would be functional. The colored ones with clear resin and some candy paint for tint and molded in ice cube trays .The large bases for the switches are made from clear acrylic painted black. The rocker switches can be had on E-bay from time to time. All the plans are at yuku

Last edited:
I'm looking for functional replica switches of the white push button version. There were some replicas listed on eBay that would house an actual switch about a month ago, they weren't cheap so I held back until they were actually needed but they are all gone now.

The white pushbuttons were a found item called "Hetherington switches". Impossible to find.
A couple of replica runs (functional, can be wired) were done at the trekpropzone forum this year, but they're long over.

^ Here are the ones I saw on eBay, probably from the same run you referenced http://m.ebay.com/itm/191884464574?_mwBanner=1

They're showing up as temporarily sold out so hopefully there will be another run.

In the meantime I'm considering threading a resin replica white push button and the metal tip of a push on/push off switch, this could probably be done with a wooden dowel too. It could work but probably requires fabricating a bracket of some sort to mount it to the rear of the panel. So perhaps I'll leave it static with a dummy replica switch until lucking on some more of the functional replicas.

I thought you were looking for the rocker switches.

I purchased some resin white / round buttons years ago. To make them functional, I got several of these push button switches from LOWES hardware. Glued the resin switches to the switch, wired them to LED's and they work a treat. Even make a really satisfying "click".

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Bender-Single-Pole-Black-Silver-Light-Switch/3379502

Panfar mentioned a few posts above this one how he made the white buttons. It may be a way, combined with these switches, to get your chair working.

Good luck with the build.

Ted.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back