Star Trek: TNG Season 3-7 uniforms - Best source for accurate costume

CJP

What or who is the best current (and reputable) source for accurate TNG S3-S7 tunics and pants? I did manage to track down an Anovos tunic, and although it was my size, the fit (for me) is off due to the oversize arm holes. Looks great if you don't left your arms.

Or, are studio accurate patterns available, with construction and material notes?

Chris! Roddenberry.com used to sell patterns that were GOOD, but not perfect. I believe they were drafted by that one ex RPEffer, ghostbusterjoseph, if memory serves. I think the patterns gave general guidance on fabrics, but didn't give like part numbers or brand names. Dunno if that's super helpful but it might serve as a launching point for some google-fu.

Update: it was Katarra Creations I was thinking of. I don't remember all the drama or associations between katarra and GBJ, but I believe the ven diagram is essentially circular. Ebay listings right now have a bunch of "revised" patterns from katarra, so who knows they might be pretty solid.

Guidance like "originals used wool gaberdine" is about as close as you will get. There's some stuff on ebay that looks like it might be serviceable, but I can't speak to their accuracy or authenticity. If you happen to hit a home run on this topic, please post your findings here.

Hey Matt! Thanks for your insights. So far as I've seen, Anovos knocked it out of the park, albeit with a couple of critiques; I think they matched already-faded original costumes for their command tunics making them a bit too purple and the generic cuts to fit a wider range of bodies means they don't fit most well, the biggest problem being the extra large arm holes.

JW, thank you, I'll check them out.

Even with an accurate pattern, it takes a lot of talent to construct it properly. The seams where black and department color meet have to be sewn very accurately or it looks like junk and the importance of pressing the seams as you go cannot be over emphasized.

BTW... Hey ANOVOS, does anyone want to square up with me for the Galactica (1978) project? PM me.

Agreed 100% on the production decisions Anovos had to make, though I don't fault them for it. Standardizing sizing AND making them comfortable no doubt came at a price. I recall some of the early discussions about colors, and even had a chance to see some of the dye tests in person. Cannot say one way or anther if they used a faded sample, but I do recall some talk about a swatch or some yardage turning up that was their primary reference for the command yellow, but man the details are fuzzy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back