Star Trek TNG Cricket Phaser replica

Has anyone heard any new from Factory Entertainment regarding the cricket phasers? I recall they said something about early 2022. I guess they will be sending email notifications soon. Everything's delayed these days.

Just got an email update from FE citing supply chain issues delaying the cricket phaser (along with many of their other prop replicas).

Cricket phasers now expected June/July.

Sean

Here’s the complete note:

As everyone knows by now, the continuing Covid situation in many countries, particularly those in which consumer products are manufactured, coupled with sustained port congestion, has contributed to ongoing delivery issues. While we continue to develop and produce our prop replicas and other collectibles at a vigorous pace, Factory Entertainment is unfortunately not immune to supply chain delays.

As of today, these are the expected shipping windows for our most anticipated products:

Star Trek TNG Cricket Phaser Prop Replica
June-July 2022

Star Trek TNG Cricket Phaser Prop Replica First Season Version
June-July 2022

Star Trek Borg Queen Skull Prop Replica Signature Edition
June-July 2022

1966 Batcave Desktop Sculpture
June-July 2022

The Batman Batarang Prop Replica
August-October 2022

Wolf Man Cane Prop Replica
August-October 2022

Princess Bride Inigo Montoya Sword Prop Replica
August-October 2022

Princess Bride Dread Pirate Roberts Sword Prop Replica
August-October 2022

Princess Bride Count Rugen Dagger Prop Replica
September-October 2022

Masters of the Universe He-Man Power Sword Prop Replica
September-October 2022

ThunderCats Sword of Omens Prop Replica
September-October 2022

Wonder Woman 1984 Golden Helmet Prop Replica
June 2022 (1st batch)
October 2022 (2nd batch)

It should be noted that not all of these dates involve delays from the originally expected ship dates, but we want to be as comprehensive as possible. We will keep you informed if any of these dates change.

Thank you, as always, for your patronage and support.

THE FACTORY ENTERTAINMENT TEAM

Man, part of me really wants to get one of these, because they look absolutely gorgeous in terms of their execution. I just was never really a fan of the early cricket or dustbuster phasers. Maybe if they release a cobra or dolphin-style model in the future, I'll pull the proverbial trigger.

(I guess in this guess, it would be "press the proverbial button"?) :lol:

Just got this email from FE:

Great News! We are anticipating the arrival soon for the following item.

Star Trek - The Next Generation Type-1 Cricket Phaser Limited Edition Prop Replica

The reason you are receiving this e-mail is that you have ordered this item on an installment plan. We will start installment payments on or about 6/15/22 with the other payments on or about 7/15/22 and 8/15/22. The amounts will be as sent on a previous e-mail which included that information...

So hopefully, these will start being delivered soon!

Sean

Mm... Yeah, not a fan of this one. It's decent, but I've just spent a while prepping my Stapleton replica and am working on upgraded electronics possibilities including metal-film touch-sensitive "buttons" to mimic the early appearance and three-color LEDs for the setting bar (1-5 green, 6-8 all illuminated LEDs turn yellow, 9-10 all illuminated LEDs turn red -- plus an overload setting). With all of that scrutiny, comparing to and analyzing photos of the original early and late props, and planning sequence of construction to eliminate light leaks and seams... This one just looks like what Galoob should have released in 1987 after staring at the originals for so long... :confused:
They never made a hero cricket with anything but green LEDS. I've seen one dustbuster with the last few red, and the rest green.

Mm... Yeah, not a fan of this one. It's decent, but I've just spent a while prepping my Stapleton replica and am working on upgraded electronics possibilities including metal-film touch-sensitive "buttons" to mimic the early appearance and three-color LEDs for the setting bar (1-5 green, 6-8 all illuminated LEDs turn yellow, 9-10 all illuminated LEDs turn red -- plus an overload setting). With all of that scrutiny, comparing to and analyzing photos of the original early and late props, and planning sequence of construction to eliminate light leaks and seams... This one just looks like what Galoob should have released in 1987 after staring at the originals for so long... :confused:
They never made a hero cricket with anything but green LEDS. I've seen one dustbuster with the last few red, and the rest green.
If I read the handwriting on the wall, I believe up next will be a medical VII tricorder. And If that’s successful I imagine the vii won’t be far behind. Sadly I don’t see a way to do it today without surface mounted LEDs, which don’t quite give me the look I want, but it’s still the prop I want!

I also wish they would go back to the old MR style acrylic displays, but I imagine the new look is in part due to the f-Ed up world supply. Electronics items from Chiba makes sense, acrylic stands probably not. I see display stands on their James Bond line, but being that those don’t have electronics and I’d bet they come from India.

They did a nice job on the flute and I’m curious about the hypo with sfx. I’m excited that they are going the TNG direction, I think that’s what the fans want. I’m eager to support them because o want them to be successful just to see what comes next. geordis visor? The borg queens skull

I’m in for the cricket too, but I’m disappointed by the unsightly seam lines on the season 1 version. It was smart to utilize the tooling for two versions, but should have figured out how to do it to get the look more accurate on that one. Should be smooth, one smooth piece. They made it that way to make the painting easier for the S3. Also worried about light leak with the surface mounted LEDs in the power bar. It’s like I’m saying above on the tricorder, just not the same look as individual rectangular LEDs lighting up one at a time stacked up together. Also, I get that it’s a more “limited” version but the price disparity between the S1 and S2 is off putting to me too. It’s hard for an obsessive completist like myself, but I’m gunna hold off on the S1. I am excited foe the S3 though and think it will feel great in Metal.

here are my replica crickets for comparison on aesthetics.

View attachment 1494213

View attachment 1494214
The LEDs in the Factory Entertainment cricket aren't surface mounted. It's just the lens cover sticks up in segments instead of completely flat.

We are moving from spring into summer delivery.
Hey, man, I can wait! I’m just glad we’re getting them!

I’ve also read that Factory Entertainment is planning a TNG “dustbuster” phaser, but I suspect that’ll be dependent on how these cricket and the hypo units sold/sell. I pre-ordered the season 3 cricket, but agree with Kert, FE’s season 1 version (which is my favorite version by far) is ghastly with that emitter seam. Hell, I hate the side seam on both versions, but I want to support FE’s efforts to make these props available so decided to go with the season 3.

Let’s just hope these crickets turn out better than FE’s horribly out-of-scale TNG hypo set. That was a pretty big (well, small) error on their part. Their “Ressikan flute”, on the other hand, is fantastic.

Also: FE, cool it with the “humidor style” display boxes. They’re terrible. If I want a cigar, I’ll just give Q his powers back! ✨

Attachments

• C7380A72-4EEA-4FE2-87FD-BC12ED08219E.jpeg
    C7380A72-4EEA-4FE2-87FD-BC12ED08219E.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Yes, I know. I'm trying to get functionality to match the lore. The LEDs will be colorless except when illuminated. I'm also aiming to get more of the "anodized metal" look of the original prop (goldish for the 'collar' and darkish for the emitter and thumbplate) over any of the replicas I've seen. All part of what I call my "more accurate than the original prop" ethos. I try to make things that will stand up to in-person scrutiny, rather than hew to however the original item was detailed (or not).

This is one that I had decided to wait on until they were delivered and to see what people thought of them. I'm glad they have arrived and I look forward to the reviews. I did the same with the hypo and I'm really glad I did since there appeared to be problems with it.

Well some concerns already. I haven't seen mine yet to know if I have a similar problem. I will know next week when I return from work. I recieved this email yesterday from Factory Entertainment.

Dear Star Trek TNG Cricket Phaser Replica Purchaser:.

It has been brought to our attention by several of the first people to receive their cricket phaser prop replicas that damage may occur to the display box when the vinyl cling, which was applied to the window to protect it from scratching, is removed.

After examining the products in our warehouse, we’ve determined that the problem was likely caused by our factory applying the vinyl cling while the paint on the boxes was not fully dry, causing it to bond with the paint. That’s why some discoloration or damage to the paint finish may occur when the cling is removed. Some customers may not find minor discoloration bothersome, but that does not meet our customary standard of quality.

We have discussed the issue with our factory and they will be manufacturing replacement boxes, which we will send to everyone who purchased the cricket phasers and requests a replacement. To request a replacement box, please send an e-mail to cricketbox@factoryent.com with the following information:

1. Your name
2. Your Order Number
3. Which version or versions of the cricket phaser you purchased; and
4.The address to which your replacement box or boxes should be sent, if your address has changed since the original order was shipped

The estimated time frame for the mailing of replacement boxes is October/November. We suggest that you keep the phasers and the plaques in their original boxes for their protection until the replacement boxes arrive, at which time you can transfer them and discard the damaged boxes.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Product quality is of paramount importance to Factory Entertainment. When something like this occurs, we are committed to remedying the situation to our customers’ satisfaction, and we hope you will continue to have faith in us and our products.

The Factory Entertainment Team

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back