Star Trek TMP phaser prop

I gave another try to the TS66 IJN gray. Same overal feeling: that stuff looks way too dark compared to the prop pictures but it is really reactive to light conditions (as said earlier in the thread). Pretty fascinating how it looks different on pictures.
Here is a scratch made attempt to recreate a "stuntish" version
View attachment 1803351View attachment 1803352
View attachment 1803353View attachment 1803355

That looks great!

Remember, the production props were really a dark gray—very close to the color of the blue gray uniforms worn by the cast (look at the color of the Tricorder compared to Kirk’s gray pants).

IMG_3854.jpeg
IMG_3855.jpeg
IMG_3856.jpeg

That looks great!

Remember, the production props were really a dark gray—very close to the color of the blue gray uniforms worn by the cast (look at the color of the Tricorder compared to Kirk’s gray pants).

View attachment 1803564View attachment 1803565View attachment 1803566
Thank you .
The TS-66 is obviously a good match and I trust the recommendation, it also seems pretty close to the mid/late 70s BMW anthracite grey. I was just confused with how dark it is in person.
Just like the TOS phaser prop, it is rather difficult to catch the right grey shade by just examining screen captures.

A few screen captures from "the stuff dreams are made of" where the guy shows some TWOK/TMP phasers from the Greg Jein's collection:

Screenshot_20240407-050020.png

Screenshot_20240407-050027.png

Screenshot_20240407-050233.png

There's a glue seam under the P1 section. It might have been repaired post production or maybe it was there during production and all the paint went off the glue seam over time.

Screenshot_20240407-050252.png

I used to know only one hero prop from TWOK
A10-276_c.jpg

Star-Trek-@-Skirball-Center-Travels-With-Mai-Tai-Tom-1-7.jpg

the one on the YT video seems a bit different: no hole on its right side above the side ribs/P1 separation is less pronounced. It looks rather close to the one Kirk holds on that sequence. Same pannel emplacement, same slightly off centered "dilithium crystal"
20200524_110603.jpg

As far as I know, there's always only one TWOK hero prop in all phaser scenes.
first you have the beam down to regula one with Mc Coy holding what seems to be Terrel's hero phaser. Kirk has the TMP hero.
sc2.jpg

then you have the sequence with Terrel/Checkov. Only Terrel seems to have a blinking lights hero prop. Hard to say if Checkov is holding a hero or a stunt prop
Terrell_and_Chekov_aim_phasers.jpg

I always had the impression only one hero prop was made for the movie but at least two were actually made.
I also have the impression there was only one setting, with the leds blinking all the way from "stun" to "disrupt".

there's also a TWOK stunt on the YT video, way slimmer than the hero version. As said earlier in the thread, these stuffs were two halves glued together so, depending on how it was trimmed and sanded, there might be some differences between models:
Screenshot_20240407-051048.png

Attachments

• sc2.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 12
Both Kirk and McCoy’s phasers have working lights when they set their phasers to stun after beaming onto the station (…although McCoy’s has the chasing light pattern which Terrell’s later has when set to kill…). De Kelley also appears to have been pressing the trigger in that scene, since the emitter is lit up.

So, there were two heroes, or at least two props with lighting effects.

Both Kirk and McCoy’s phasers have working lights when they set their phasers to stun after beaming onto the station (…although McCoy’s has the chasing light pattern which Terrell’s later has when set to kill…). De Kelley also appears to have been pressing the trigger in that scene, since the emitter is lit up.

So, there were two heroes, or at least two props with lighting effects.

The Shatner Regula One beam down Hero is one of the leftover TMP heroes. Sadly, according to Brick Price, only one of the two TMP Heroes survived TMP as these had early rechargeable batteries and one was left in the charger too long and, essentially, melted (chronicled in the book Return to Tomorrow)

IMG_3978.jpeg

IMG_3979.jpeg
IMG_3980.jpeg

The Terrell / McCoy vacuform hero, with chaser lights on the port side of the control pad, appears to be the same hero owned by the Paul Allen Estate.

IMG_3973.jpeg
IMG_3977.jpeg

The Jein collection Vacuform Hero, with chaser lights on both the port and starboard sides of the control pad, is seen in the hand of Kristie Alley in a “blink and you’ll miss it” portion of the Regula One beam down scene as she enters a door (watch the control pad closely and you’ll see a rapid chaser light pattern on both sides of the control pad of the prop). I refer to the Jein collection Vacuform hero as “The Saavik Hero Phaser”

IMG_3976.jpeg

IMG_2164.jpeg

IMG_3966.jpeg

IMG_3971.jpeg

IMG_3968.jpeg

IMG_3970.jpeg
IMG_3967.jpeg

Chekov does appear to have a vacuform Hero in his hands (he even fiddles with the “on/off” switch on the bottom of the handle when he first raises it) but he is holding it at an angle in which you can’t see the lights. The phaser has a Vacuform hero trigger stud as well. It’s likely he’s holding the “Jein / Saavik Hero”.

IMG_3974.jpeg
IMG_3975.jpeg

I speculate that there were 3 Heroes in the production of WOK:

1. The Kirk Hero: The leftover hero from TMP.

2. The McCoy / Terrell / Paul Allen Hero: a refurbished vacuform stunt from TMP with chaser lights on the port side of the control pad.

3. The Saavik / Chekov / Greg Jein Hero: a refurbished Vacuform stunt from TMP with chaser lights on both the port and starboard sides of the control pad.

Last edited:
One question remains about these props.
Here are the original vacuform bucks from Brick Price.
4 parts for the main body, maybe a fifth part somewhere for the trigger area.
_20240408_032531.JPG

All the hero props I have seen have the P1/P2 divided line, there's a real cutout.
The line is also there on the stunt props but no cutout.

My point is, did all the props were made from the same bucks but finished differently ?
Or did the stunt props were made from different bucks?

I also wonder if the P1 was initialy meant to be removed.

One question remains about these props.
Here are the original vacuform bucks from Brick Price.
4 parts for the main body, maybe a fifth part somewhere for the trigger area.
View attachment 1808068

All the hero props I have seen have the P1/P2 divided line, there's a real cutout.
The line is also there on the stunt props but no cutout.

My point is, did all the props were made from the same bucks but finished differently ?
Or did the stunt props were made from different bucks?

I also wonder if the P1 was initialy meant to be removed.

There were 2 models of vacuform TMP Phasers: One with a separate Phaser One and one without a separate Phaser One (like the hero).

There were 2 models of vacuform TMP Phasers: One with a separate Phaser One and one without a separate Phaser One (like the hero).

It makes sense.

Here is a question though, as I see three distinctive models.

Considering/speculating TWOK phasers were redressed TMP phasers and no new props were build during TWOKpreproduction, I'm talking about TMP/TWOK phasers as the same props.

Indeed the known hero from TMP looks like two halves glued together with an engraved P1/P2 seam instead of a separated P1, wich is pretty odd to me: why not using a more detailed model ?
Ph-01.jpg

There's also that TMP stunt that looks perfectly smooth : no seam between P1/P2. Maybe that one was shaped out of the mold used for the TMP hero.

4327475667_b02b4d5f81_b.jpg

But there are also a bunch of stunts with the P1/P2 seam wich seems shaped directly during the vaccumforming process.

IMG_3595.jpeg

lf.jpg

574-3.jpg

IMG_3582.jpeg

And other models which could be shaped out of that 4 parts mold mentionned above, with the separate P1 body

IMG_2164.jpeg

A10-276_c.jpg

star trek2 phaser pistol prop.jpg

any thoughts?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back