Star Trek themed workstation under construction!

My long overdue blog update: CREATIVE IMAGINEERING | A ‘STAR TREK’ THEMED WORKSTATION | PART 5 – Woodworking Adventures

In this update I've almost finished building the cabinet, but I'm waiting on getting some paint! I've also mentioned another new build, a Star Trek themed shelf unit for my model cars. Extending the theme beyond just the workstation!

20200423_214129.jpg

I'll be writing a blog post soon, but here's where I'm up to with the 'viewscreen' part of the build. I've designed and built a 'case' to cover my 32.5"curved screen monitor. Next step is to tidy it up (pop some air-bubbles!) after this test-fit, put a 'lid' on it, and paint it. I will also build another smaller unit to the left on the cabinet for a smaller HD res monitor (visible in the right side of the photo). I'll have to also cut into that small overhang on the cabinet top so that this 'case' can sit flush against the wall of the cabinet.
20200620_084724.jpg

Nice - I'm doing something similar with a Google Mini, and its LED lights will light the intercom's oval light. Accurate screen fabric is available on eBay. I love what you did with the mesh under your desktop and I hope to do something similar if I can produce enough depth behind a panel.

Last edited:
Nice - I'm doing something similar with a Google Mini, and its LED lights will light the intercom's oval light. Accurate screen fabric is available on eBay. I love what you did with the mesh under your desktop and I hope to do something similar if I can produce enough depth behind a panel.
Cool. I chose the Echo mainly because they have the rights to use Star Trek sounds etc, and the fact that I can speak to it using the word 'Computer'! The Google Mini should work well though. I'm actually now thinking of placing a small light sensor over the led ring on the Echo and wiring to an Arduino so that when the ring lights up it can switch on a brighter white LED behind the oval light panel. The Echo's ring will still be visible, but if my idea works then the oval should light up better. I know that accurate screen fabric is available on Ebay, postage to Thailand at the moment is unreliable, too many parcels are 'disappearing'.

That's great how you can activate with "Computer" instead of a cheesy "Hey Google", but we've already been vested in a Google Home for over a year with a Hub unit and several other Minis so it made more sense to just get another Mini instead of starting over with a whole different system (at least for now). Be certain that your control panel finishes each sentence with, "Dear..."

That's great how you can activate with "Computer" instead of a cheesy "Hey Google", but we've already been vested in a Google Home for over a year with a Hub unit and several other Minis so it made more sense to just get another Mini instead of starting over with a whole different system (at least for now). Be certain that your control panel finishes each sentence with, "Dear..."
Lol, I had considered that "Dear...", certainly would fit the Alexa voice! By the way, I don't know if you're aware of this, but you can mix devices. I have a Google Home Mini downstairs too, and both it and my Alexa Dot 2 easily control my various smart home switches throughout my home, so there's no issues with mixing brands and devices.

I've bought a large piece of vintage style Fender amp cloth, the same kind used for the desktop intercoms on the original Star Trek. I know you can order pieces cut to size from the U.S. but the postage to Thailand worked out more expensive alone than order this big piece directly from China.

#startrek #startrektheme #startrekprop #pcworkstation #alexadot #startrekintercom #fender #fenderamp #fenderampcloth

IMG_20210204_082326_609.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back