Star Trek themed workstation under construction!

PhuketAussie

After a lot of time spent designing, and redesigning, and redesigning lol I'm now builing my workstation, which I'm calling 'Creative Imagineering'!

I'll be posting full build details in my own blog: Creative Imagineering – Woodworking Adventures

I've started with the main computer consol, the side cabinet and side table will come later. Here's a few photos of progress so far:

Computer-Console-1536x736.png
Slide6.jpg
Slide12.jpg

Last edited:
Cool project! I loves me some classic Trek!
I believe that grill pattern is called Windsor, and should be available from specialty perforated metal suppliers like this one.

Oct Grill.png

That's awesome, thanks for the link, but I live in Phuket, Thailand, so ordering this product is simply not an option. Thanks for sharing this anyway, I really appreciate that.

Oh yeah, that's sweet. Well done sir. You kept it simple and sleek. How about some LED strip lighting incorporated somewhere. Perhaps around the grill or mounted under the desk? Also, classy choice to go with the nice varnished wood top. I haven't seen the videos yet. What colour of grey paint did you use?

Oh yeah, that's sweet. Well done sir. You kept it simple and sleek. How about some LED strip lighting incorporated somewhere. Perhaps around the grill or mounted under the desk? Also, classy choice to go with the nice varnished wood top. I haven't seen the videos yet. What colour of grey paint did you use?

Thank you so much for your encouragement. There will be more updates over the next few weeks!

Just last night I ordered some strip light for the cabinet underneath, so that should look good I think.

Annotation-2020-04-15-105923.png

It'll hopefully achieve the look like below under the consoles:
es%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fimages%2F2019-08%2Fimg_1411.jpg

The wood is recycled from a fitness centre that closed down, and as such it came already stained and varnished, and is thankfully fairly close to the original colour from the show, like below:
ZI%2FAAAAAAAAJKA%2F-leBcqMWKaw%2Fs1600%2FP251_1_CK.jpg

The paint is from Jotun and is called Jazz Grey (JAZZ GREY). It also is a close match for the original colour, and even though it's not exact I really like it. In any case, how you view the colour of the original sets depends largly on the quality of your TV of PC screen, and I sometimes think that this is more important because oftentimes the colours chosen for the sets are chosen to create an effect on the screen which will usually be a bit different, so on that basis I think I've chosen the perfect colour!

This week I'll be building a cabinet that will be located on the left of the workstation, about the height of the one shown behind Kirk in the photo above, but while that just contains a small safe, mine will contain doors and shelving to make it practical. You will get an idea of what I mean by one of my concept drawings below:

Enterprise Desk v3 #1.png

I'll be buildng a cabinet around my monitor, and extending over the side cabinet on the left to contain a smaller monitor mounted on it's side vertically. I'm undecided about the shelf shown on the right hand side of the monitor, if I do include it then it will display my small collection of Star Trek TOS models and props. I hope to add either a desk viewer or a desktop 'computer' in TOS style. I really want something that I can place the start and reset buttons for the PC in, as well as switches for other things.

Lots of things to do yet!

Thanks again for your encouragement, and I hope you continue enjoy this project build :)

To paint, or not to paint!

This is how my side cabinet is look right now. This is just a trial fit at the moment. The doors need a second coat of paint (have to wait for the shops to re-open first!) and of course it needs screwing down, as you can see it's a bit warped.
20200424_094804.jpg

My dilemma right now is whether or not to paint the top. It actually looks really nice as it is. But if I want it to look truly authentic then I should be painting the whole top, not just around the edges as on the rest of the desktop. I include a photo below of the TV studio set of Captain Kirk's quarters.

messageImage_1587629703560.jpg

What do you think? Should I go with authenticity and paint it all out, or should I customise it by leaving it unpainted.
I'm inclined to go with authenticity. What do you think?

Go for authenticity, but at the same time, the varnished top looks nice, I'm sure you could find a way to incorporate both finishes somehow. Also, same thing for the colour, go for authentic but maybe a small pattern added in somewhere, in your favourite colour, just for your own personalized style. You've got the green carpet.

Go for authenticity, but at the same time, the varnished top looks nice, I'm sure you could find a way to incorporate both finishes somehow. Also, same thing for the colour, go for authentic but maybe a small pattern added in somewhere, in your favourite colour, just for your own personalized style. You've got the green carpet.
thanks for your feedback. I don't have green carpet, nor do I want any. I live in Phuket, Thailand, carpet is unbearable even with aircon. the floor has large beige tiles. I am considering looking for self adhesive vinyl dark grey tiles to match the carpet colour used on the bridge of the enterprise set. That will have to do, if I find can find any here. the wood is recycled, came pre-stained and varnished. While the colour isn't quite right it's close enough and I do like it anyway. but, I am leaning towards authenticity as you suggest :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back