STAR TREK: The Original Series - Hand Phaser Props - P2s and P1s

TOS Phaser

STAR TREK: TOS Phaser Unit #2 (P2) and Phaser Unit #1 (P1) Props

It all began when Walter M. Jefferies (the future Art Director for Star Trek) was given the assignment to create a new hand held energy weapon that did not look like every other "ray gun" that went before. The first Star Trek "pilot" had "laser" pistols that looked like a western "six shooter".

HISTORY

I
. Matt produced two working drawings for the Desilu Prop Department. One covered the "hand phaser" or "Phaser Unit 1" (P1) and the other covered the "Phaser Unit 2" (P2) and the "Phaser Unit 3" (the power pack grip/handle).

Matt Jefferies's Phaser Unit # 2 (P2) drawing:
Matts P2.png

Source of this drawing: Live Auction Group

The first working Hero P2s the Desilu Prop Department (DPD) made are very close to this drawing. In fact one member of the TPZ overlaid a photo of the Greg Jein (GJ) P2 (as it appears now) on a version of this drawing and the photo and drawing lined up almost exactly.

Matt Jefferies's Phaser Unit # 1 (P1) drawing:
Matts P1.png

The DPD did not make the first working Hero P1s exactly to this drawing. For example the rising sight opens in the opposite direction and the sight screen and the "push buttons" and the "snap lock" recess were not illuminated.

These drawing are the foundation of any Star Trek TOS Phaser study.

- - For those of you who cannot visualize what a 3-D object looks like - here are some photo mosaic drawings of what the P2 and P1 would have looked like if the Desilu Props Department (DPD) had made the props exactly to Matt's drawings (Note - the "forward facing louvers" are not
shown on either P1 side view):

Matt Jefferies's Phaser Unit # 2, side view (in Wah Ming Chang colors):
Matts P2 - left side view 2.png

Drawing Source: I drew this representation of what the left side view of Matt's P2 would have looked like based on the "Phaser Unit #2" drawing. (Qi Press is my company)

Matt Jefferies's Phaser Unit # 2, front view:

Matts P2 - front view.png

Drawing Source: I drew this representation of what the front view of Matt's P2 would have looked like based on the "Phaser Unit #2" drawing by Matt Jefferies.

Matt Jefferies's Phaser Unit # 1, side view and top view, with sight screen fully open:

Matts P1 - top and side views.png

Note: Drawing error: The power push buttons are too far back - the second push button should be closer to the sight
slider control switch in the top view.

Matt incorporated several things in his original design (drawing) that were not produced by the Desilu props department (DPD):
Phaser Unit # 1:

· P1 safety – the trigger button was not operational until the sight was up

· P1 sight screen illuminated when in the [fully] open [up] position

· The power push buttons on the P1 were illuminated

· Clear sight opening on P1 (the rectangle above the nozzle in the front)

· Sight screen was rotated by rack and pinion to slider control (switch)
See Drawings: 2.1 and 2.4.

· Sight screen rotates 195 degrees to full open or full closed*

· A magnet inset into the bottom of the P1 for mounting it on a belt (the
DPD glued a piece of Velcro to the bottom half of the P1 instead.)

* Matt Jefferies's Phaser Unit # 1, right side view, xray-drawing, showing initial sight screen opening process:
Matts P2 sight opening.png

The sight screen was designed to move down and then revolve 195 degrees to full open. The DPD sight screen moved up.

Matt incorporated several things in his original design (drawing) that were not produced by the Desilu props department (DPD):

Phaser Unit # 2:

· Probe (emitter) on P2 would extend or retract by rotating the “range
adjustment” ring on the nozzle

· P2 Trigger unlocked when power pack (Unit #3) is rotated into position
(1/2 turn, 90 degrees) - - see my drawing reproduction on cover

· Recess on rear bottom of P2 body to receive spring lock of Unit #4 (Note: this recess was not found on the Greg Jein (GJ) P2. So the logical assumption is - this original phaser rifle ala Man From Uncle feature was not incorporated. I believe there is a thread on therpf that shows what the P2 would have looked like if the take down rifle had been built. - - I will look for the link.)

II. The second basis for studying TOS Hero Phasers is the Desilu "production memo" that "feek61" researched and compiled. The Desilu production memo entitled: "Inventory", dated 14July1966, provided by "feek61" reflects:

PHASER GUNS
4 Practical Guns - - includes #1 & #2 – Power Packs
4 Practical Power Packs (extra)
4 Power Packs to make Phaser #3
6 Wood Dummy Power Packs

5 Rubber Guns Complete #1 & #2 – Power Pack
4 #1 Guns

"PLASTIC GUNS"
10 Complete Dummy Guns #1 & #2 - Power Packs
9 #1 Dummy Guns
4 #2 Dummy Guns
4 Guns-includes #1 & #2 -- without Power Packs

===========================================
There is no doubt that 4 "practical" (or "working" or Hero) phaser unit 2s were built (P2s and P1s) in 1966.
THANK YOU FEEK61 !

III. The black and white (B&W) "practical" ("working" or "hero") Phaser Unit # 2 (P2).

The four B&W Hero P2s were filmed in episodes: 5, 6, 7 and 8. (Note: I use the production episode numbers - not the air date episode numbers or the "remastered" episode numbers.) I also nick named each B&W P2 to help me track them not only through the first 4 key first season episodes - but also after Wah Ming Chang "reworked" them into the iconic phaser pistols that every "baby boomer" recognizes.

The following B&W "practical" P2 is the Kirk P2:
B&W Kirk P2-C.png

Drawing Source: I drew this representation of what the right side view of the B&W Hero P2 that Captain Kirk fires (at Dr. Crater) in episode 6, "The Man Trap".
Captain Kirk holds this B&W P2 with sight closed in episode 5, "The Enemy Within" (standing by Spock in Engineering - while searching for the "evil Kirk".

The following B&W "practical" P2 is the Spock P2:
B&W Spocks P2.png

Drawing Source: I drew this representation of what the right side view of the B&W Hero P2 that Spock holds in both episode 5, "The Enemy Within" and
episode 6, "The Man Trap".

The following B&W "practical" P2 is the Sulu P2:
Sulu P2 - right side view.png

Drawing Source: I drew this representation of what the right side view of the B&W Hero P2 that Sulu holds and fires in episode 5, "The Enemy Within" (he
uses this P2 to heat the rocks).

The following B&W "practical" P2 is the Scot P2:

Scot P2 and lost P1-4.png

Drawing Source: I drew this representation of what the right side view of the B&W Hero P2 that Kirk wears on his gold pistol belt in episode 6, "The Man Trap"
(I think he initially wore the Sulu P2 until it fell off of his belt.) And Scotty wears this B&W Hero P2 on his gold pistol belt in episode 7, "The Naked Time".

Drawing notes: (1) The rounded push buttons instead of the flat top push buttons Matt's drawings specified.
(2) The control knob on the rear deck is taller than was specified in Matt's P2 drawing.
(3) The power pack grip was longer than the grip specified in Matt's P2 drawing.
(4) The power pack grip cross section was not exactly the same as the cross-section in the drawing.
(5) The power pack grip was not as wide.

The Spock P2 was in episodes: 5, 6 and 7. (The Enemy Within, The Man Trap and The Naked Time.)
The Kirk P2 was in episodes: 5 and 6 (The Enemy Within and The Man Trap)
The Sulu P2 was in episodes: 5 and 8 (The Enemy Within and Charlie X)
- - I think the forehead on this P2 was broken in episode 6 (The Man Trap)
The Scot P2 was in episodes: 6 and 7 (The Man Trap and The Naked Time.) - - This B&W Hero P2 was worn on Kirk's gold pistol belt and then Scotty
wore it on his gold pistol belt while trying to figure out where to cut the Engineering room bulkhead.

The following drawing represents the B&W "practical" Spock P1:

Note: How the power push buttons were rounded and the sight screen slider switch control was implemented as a thumb wheel.
You can clearly see the rounded push buttons on the B&W P1 in the Kirk P2 in the Engineering scene of episode 5, The Enemy Within. And note how the shell cover is only on the bottom of the P1. Compare this drawing to the Matt Jefferies's Phaser Unit # 1, side view and top view drawing.

- - B&W drawing notes - I originally had problems with loss of definition when I made the P2 and P1 bodies black. The complex curves and corners were being lost. So as in the previous case I set the drawing to a lighter shade of gray. Matt Jefferies's Phaser Unit # 1, side view and top view drawing in the previous section is more correct. It was a photo mosaic rather than a "rendering".

The following Kirk P2 drawing is an example of the black body problem:
Kirks B&W Hero P2 - black.png

This drawing reflects one of the main reasons Gene Roddenberry did not like the B&W Hero P2s - the all black body causes a loss of detail.
I found no evidence in TMOST or in Herb Solow's books that Gene ever sent a memo regarding the color of the "phaser gun" to Matt during
the design stage. My guess - Matt or the DED team chose black - because black the color of miltary firearms in the 1960s.

The following photo mosaic represents the B&W Practical P1 - the future Greg Jein P1:
B&W Scot P1.png

This closeup is from my B&W P1 rendering sheet for (what I labeled the Scot P1) the future Greg Jein P1. Note: It has Velcro on the left side and no jewel between the thumb wheel and force indicator "half moon". Also not how the thumb wheel and half moon are in line with sight hood cut-out.

IV. Wah Ming Chang (WMC) "reworked" the 4 black and white (B&W) "practical" ("working" or "hero") Phaser Unit # 2s (P2s). (Reference Desilu Invoice # 43977)

The following changes were made by Mr. Chang to the four B&W Hero P2s:

(1) Hand Phaser (“Phaser Unit # 1” or P1):

· The body of the P1 was painted dark grey

· Aluminum rails were added to both sides of two of the Hero hand phasers. The Hero P1s with Velcro on the left side had an aluminum rail
added to the right side only and WMC painted a silver/white line on the Velcro on the left side to match the width and length of the rail.

· Diamond textured silver foil was added to the top of the sight cover

· A watch crown with a colored jewel was added to the top of two of the Hero hand phasers (P1s) between the sight control thumb wheel and the two force indicator windows. Two P1s apparently only received a jewel. (2 blue and 2 red)

· The two force indicator windows were replaced with a single curved window (now called the “half-moon”):

(2) Pistol phaser body (“Phaser Unit 2” or P2):

· The body of the P2 was painted a light cool (blue) gray

· Aluminum fins went over the molded fins on the rear of the P2 body

· The rear control knob (aluminum bar) was changed to a “ten turn” knob,

(3) Pistol phaser power pack grip (Phaser Unit 3 or P3):

· The white power pack grip (handle) was replaced with the special power pack
grips with the base plate with Valise plug prong cut-outs for P4 assembly.

The following photo mosaic represents the B&W Hero Kirk P2 after WMC "reworked" the prop into the "Unknown" P2:
Unknown P2 - left side view-C.png

This reworked B&W Hero P2 (the "Unknown" P2) was held by a security guard in a deleted scene from episode 15, "Court-Martial". Captain Kirk is holding the Scot P2 (aka the "Riley/Lenore" P2) when Finney jabs the Spock P2 (aka the "Finney" P2) into the Captain's back in Engineering.

The following photo mosaic represents the B&W Hero Scot P1 after WMC "reworked" the prop into the "Greg Jein" P1:

Scot P1.png

Note: The alignment of the thumb wheel and force indicator with the sight screen cutout and the lack of a jewel and watch crown.

V. AutoCad drawings of the "Practical" P2 and P1 ("reworked" by Wah Ming Chang) were made by Nelson Au in 2007.

Nelson presented his work on the TPZ as "sunking69". In my opinion the lines and curves of the drawings he posted in July 2007 were "spot on". Other members at the time disagreed and gave him their preferences. His dimensions were based on the JLong P1 Kit. Fortunately robn1 was able to provide the correct dimensions - see his corrected drawing below.

The following AutoCad drawings were posted by "sunking69" on or around 10July 2007:

P2 layout:
P2 layout7102007Verya-1.png

P1 layout:
P1 Layout 7102007verd6.png

P2 sections:
P2sections7102007Veraf3.png

P2 detail:
P2detail7102007VerhuS.png

And the reason I preferred his original P1 drawing was because Nelson's P1 top view looks like the TMOST P1 top view :
Nelson P1 - TMOST P1.png

The following drawing with corrected dimensions, added by robn1, was posted 08Aug2022 (see robn1's reply):
6 - rGv7Gqp.png

As you can see the length of the P2 saddle is 3.614 inches in robn1's corrected drawing compared to 3.72 inches in Nelson's 10July2007 drawing.
This difference in the length of the P2 saddle means the length of the P1 shown in Nelson's P1 drawing is also incorrect.

VI. The following Season One "black and white" (B&W) "Practical" / "working" / "Hero" - Phaser Unit # 2 (P2) trace table helped me (after going back to the key Season One episodes: 5, 6, 7 and 8) see which B&W Hero became which WMC Hero:
Table 7.1 - 5.png

Summary Season One P2 trace table:

(1) The Sulu P2 was damaged in Episode 6, “The Man Trap”. It was reassembled and used in episode 8, “Charlie X” and was not seen again. (In episode 15, "Court-Martial" (Captain Kirk holds the Scot P2 when Finney jabs him in the back with the Spock P2.)
(2) The Spock P2 = “Finney P2” (scene from “Court-Martial” and the Hero P1 in this close up was the B&W Hero Spock P1 or “TMOST” P1 after WMC.) The Spock P2 was last seen in episode 46, "The Gamesters of Triskelion". I believe the End credit shot in episode 72, "The Mark of Gideon" was taken the same time the close up shot was filmed in "The Gamesters of Triskelion". You can see the watch crown on the TMOST P1 in the left side view shot used for the end credits of "The Mark of Gideon".

(3) The Kirk P2 = “Unknown P2” (from deleted scene from “Court-Martial” and the “reworked” B&W Hero P1 in this deleted scene was the Kirk P1 or the "Nona" P1.) Captain Kirk carries the “reworked” Scot P2 aka the "Riley/Lenore" P2 into engineering when he was searching for Finney. The P2 that Finney holds against Captain Kirk’s back, for the famous close up shot, is the “reworked” Spock P2 aka the “Finney”. A security guard held the reworked Kirk P2 ("Unknown") in a deleted scene from this episode.​

(4) Two B&W Hero P1s (Sulu P1 and Scot P1) had Velcro on the left side and two B&W Hero P1s did not (Spock P1 and Kirk P1). The Sulu and Spock B&W Hero P1s were approximately the same shape and size. The Kirk and Scot B&W Hero P1s were approximately the same shape and size.

The following photo mosaic drawing reflects the nozzle emitter length and nozzle center line location “tell” and forehead slope “tell”:
Nozzle Height and forehead slope tells.png

The top P2 nozzle is the Finney P2 and the bottom P2 nozzle is the GJ.
NOTE Drawing Error: The bottom emitter appears to be cylindrical - however it is conical also the nozzle on the GJ is even lower than shown. See the front view drawing of the 4 "practical phaser guns" (Hero P2s) below for a more accurate representation of the GJ nozzle location.
Nelson's P2 Detail Drawing (upper right) above reflects the forehead slope tells.

The following B&W Hero P2 drawing shows the rear fin tells:
Kirk - Spock tells.png

And if you cannot see the "tells" I put yellow lines on the same drawing:
Tells 2.png

These rear fin differences were seen in the Wah Ming Chang "reworked" P2s: the "Finney" (Spock P2) and the "Unknown" (Kirk P2).

The following drawing contains front views of the 4 "Practical Phaser Guns" (Hero P2s):

The 4 Phaser Guns -WMC- Front View.png

Greg Jein Finney Unknown Riley

Front views of the 4 Practical Phaser Guns made by the Desilu Studios Effects Department and "reworked" by Wah Ming Chang.

In the above drawing you can see how low the GJ P2 nozzle is positioned on the P2 fiberglass body. This drawing also shows how closely the cross-section of the "Nona" P1matches the Scot P1 (Hero P1 with Velcro currently on the GJ) made by the Desilu Effects Department before 14July1966 (the date of the Desilu Studios production memo).

Note: I now believe based on the photographic evidence of the Hero B&W P2s filmed in the first 8 episodes of Season One, that two of the four Hero P1s had Velcro glued to the left side. In episode 6, "The Man Trap" Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock both wear Hero P2s on their gold pistol belts in the same scene. Mr. Spock wears the same P2-P1 combination he wore in episode 5, "The Enemy Within" and Captain Kirk wears the future "Riley/Lenore" P2 with the future GJ P1! (When Mr. Scott wears the future "Riley/Lenore" P2 on his gold pistol belt in episode 7, "The Naked Time" - the GJ Hero P1 was also used. However when Mr. Scot cuts the Engineering room bulk head he held a different Hero P2 than the future "Riley/Lenore" P2 he wore.)

And there is a reason why I have drawn the GJ and TMOST P1s with the same cross-section shape. Just as I drew the Hero P1s on the "Unknown" P2 and the "Riley/Lenore" P2 with the same cross-section shape. There were two sets of Hero P1s. Each set contained one Hero P1 with Velcro on the left side and one Hero P1 without Velcro on the left side. The Hero P1s in each set were made to be interchangeable.

For example if the "Riley/Lenore" had to be worn on a gold pistol belt - no problem its Hero P1 had Velcro. You see this very P2 - P1 combination on Captain Kirk's gold pistol belt in episode 6, "The Man Trap". And then when Mr. Riley holds this same P2 in episode 13, "Conscience Of The King" - the left side of the Hero P1 was filmed - thus either the "TMOST" P1 or the "Nona" P1 could have been used. The Hero P1 in the "Riley/Lenore" P2 looks like the Hero P1 that was in the "Finney" P2 that was fired by Latimer and Guytano in episode 14, "The Galileo Seven" and of course the famous close up shot of the Finney P2-TMOST P1 in "Court-Martial".

Attachments

• Matts sight screen opening.png
    Matts sight screen opening.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Matts P2 front view.png
    Matts P2 front view.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 367
  • Kirk P2 reworked to Unknown P2.png
    Kirk P2 reworked to Unknown P2.png
    265.3 KB · Views: 744
  • Matts P2 - front view.png
    Matts P2 - front view.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 530
  • KirK P2 final.png
    KirK P2 final.png
    261.1 KB · Views: 882
  • Scot P2.png
    Scot P2.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 391
  • B&W Hero P2 - rear body comparisons 1.png
    B&W Hero P2 - rear body comparisons 1.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 524
  • B&W Hero P2 - rear body comparisons 2enh.png
    B&W Hero P2 - rear body comparisons 2enh.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 513
  • The 4 Practical Phaser Guns with the 4 Practical P1s-C-4.png
    The 4 Practical Phaser Guns with the 4 Practical P1s-C-4.png
    312.2 KB · Views: 506
  • Scot P1-1_7z-(C).png
    Scot P1-1_7z-(C).png
    760.1 KB · Views: 381
  • GJ - front view - - FN - front view.png
    GJ - front view - - FN - front view.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Hero P2 front views C.png
    Hero P2 front views C.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 705
  • B&W Scot (GJ) P1.png
    B&W Scot (GJ) P1.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 42
  • B&W Scot (GJ) P1- -C.png
    B&W Scot (GJ) P1- -C.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Greetings and Felicitations!

I have been studying "Star Trek: The Original Series" hand phasers (P1s and P2s) since the television show was first broadcast in 1966 on NBC.

Since there are no longer any prop archives or forums exclusively about Star Trek: TOS phasers available on the Internet - I will take the initiative and start one here.

If you have information and photos that can be shared here on this thread under "fair use" please do.

I will start the conversation with a brief introduction about the Star Trek TOS Phaser pistol.
It all began when Walter M. Jefferies (the future Art Director for Star Trek) was given the assignment to create a new hand held energy weapon that did not look like every other "ray gun" that went before. The first Star Trek "pilot" had "laser" pistols that looked like a western "six shooter".

Matt produced two working drawings for the Desilu Prop Department. One covered the "hand phaser" or "Phaser Unit 1" (P1) and the other covered the "Phaser Unit 2" (P2) and the "Phaser Unit 3" (the power pack grip/handle).

View attachment 1600003

The first working Hero P2s the Desilu Prop Department (DPD) made are very close to this drawing. In fact one member of the TPZ overlaid a photo of the Greg Jein (GJ) P2 (as it appears now) on a version of this drawing and the photo and drawing lined up almost exactly.

View attachment 1600007

The DPD did not make the first working Hero P1s exactly to this drawing. For example the rising sight opens in the opposite direction and the sight screen and the "push buttons" were not illuminated.

In my next post I will continue with the "Black and White" (B&W) P2s.

Comment: I originally started this thread in another forum because this thread is NOT about "replica props". This thread is about "props".

I am new to this forum and not yet fully up to speed on its rules and regulations. So I apologize to all members who came into this thread on or after 21July2022 thinking it is about "replica props".

This thread contains/will contain historical information on the original props, in particular the phaser props, that were made by Desilu Studios and then filmed for the television show Star Trek in the middle 1960s.

I have been studying "Star Trek: The Original Series" hand phasers (P1s and P2s) since the television show was first broadcast in 1966 on NBC.

Since there are no longer any prop archives or forums exclusively about Star Trek: TOS phasers available on the Internet - I will take the initiative and start one here.

If you have information and photos that can be shared here on this thread under "fair use" please do.

I will start the conversation with a brief introduction about the Star Trek TOS Phaser pistol.

Matt produced two working drawings for the Desilu Prop Department. One covered the "hand phaser" or "Phaser Unit 1" (P1) and the other covered the "Phaser Unit 2" (P2) and the "Phaser Unit 3" (the power pack grip/handle).

View attachment 1600003

View attachment 1600007

The DPD did not make the first working Hero P1s exactly to this drawing. For example the rising sight opens in the opposite direction and the sight screen and the "push buttons" were not illuminated.

If you have photos, historical records, data or eye witness testimony please "reply" to the original post and share your information.
If you want to share your theories, ideas or just talk about the original phaser props - please post them to the thread. In this way we can keep this thread like a reference archive. Thank you.

Comment: I originally started this thread in another forum because this thread is NOT about "replica props". This thread is about "props".

I am new to this forum and not yet fully up to speed on its rules and regulations. So I apologize to all members who came into this thread on or after 21July2022 thinking it is about "replica props".

This thread contains/will contain historical information on the original props, in particular the phaser props, that were made by Desilu Studios and then filmed for the television show Star Trek in the middle 1960s.

If you have photos, historical records, data or eye witness testimony please "reply" to the original post and share your information.
If you want to share your theories, ideas or just talk about the original phaser props - please post them to the thread. In this way we can keep this thread like a reference archive. Thank you.
The second basis for studying TOS Hero Phasers is the Desilu "Inventory List" or "production memo" that "Feek61" researched and compiled.

The Desilu production "Inventory List", dated 14July1966, provided by "feek61" reflects:

PHASER GUNS
6 Wood Dummy Power Packs

4 #1 Guns

"PLASTIC GUNS"
9 #1 Dummy Guns
4 #2 Dummy Guns

There is no doubt that 4 working or "practical" (Hero) phaser unit 2s were built (P2 and P1) in 1966.
THANK YOU FEEK61 !

The second basis for studying TOS Hero Phasers is the Desilu "Inventory List" or "production memo" that "Feek61" researched and compiled.

The Desilu production "Inventory List", dated 14July1966, provided by "feek61" reflects:

PHASER GUNS
6 Wood Dummy Power Packs

4 #1 Guns

"PLASTIC GUNS"
9 #1 Dummy Guns
4 #2 Dummy Guns

There is no doubt that 4 working or "practical" (Hero) phaser unit 2s were built (P2 and P1) in 1966.
THANK YOU FEEK61 !
The "Black and White" (B&W) Hero P2s were first shown in episode 6, "The Man Trap". The B&W P2s were very close in appearance to the working drawing that Matt produced for the Desilu Prop Department (DPD).

The following replica drawing is one I produced for a project I have been working on. The replica drawing is based on Matt's "Phaser Unit 2" (P2) working drawing. PLEASE NOTE: This drawing is based on a modified photo mosaic of my Master Replicas P2 and Rod.com P1 - so the drawing is not a one to one match to Matt's original working drawing.

Matts P2 drawing replica.png

One of the interesting things you will notice if you study Matt's original P2 drawing is the P1 emitter cannot be seen when the P1 is installed into the P2. See the side view ("Sec B") on Matt's original drawing - the forehead space.

The following replica B&W P2 drawing is a modified photo mosaic of my Master Replicas P2 and Rod.com P1 - so the drawing is not a one to one match to the original B&W P2s that were made by the DPD. And the gray areas of the P2 body are not black.

Kirk P2 - right side view.png

Attachments

• B&W P2.png
    B&W P2.png
    84 KB · Views: 736
  • Kirk P2 - right side view.png
    Kirk P2 - right side view.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
The "Black and White" (B&W) Hero P2s were first shown in episode 6, "The Man Trap". The B&W P2s were very close in appearance to the working drawing that Matt produced for the Desilu Prop Department (DPD).

The following replica drawing is one I produced for a project I have been working on. The replica drawing is based on Matt's "Phaser Unit 2" (P2) working drawing. PLEASE NOTE: This drawing is based on a modified photo mosaic of my Master Replicas P2 and Rod.com P1 - so the drawing is not a one to one match to Matt's original working drawing.

View attachment 1600297

One of the interesting things you will notice if you study Matt's original P2 drawing is the P1 emitter cannot be seen when the P1 is installed into the P2. See the side view ("Sec B") on Matt's original drawing - the forehead space.

The following replica B&W P2 drawing is a modified photo mosaic of my Master Replicas P2 and Rod.com P1 - so the drawing is not a one to one match to the original B&W P2s that were made by the DPD. And the gray areas of the P2 body are not black.

View attachment 1600298

In order to be able to tell which hero P2 you are looking at - you have to carefully study Episode 5, "The Enemy Within" and Episode 6, "The Man Trap". Specifically the scenes where Kirk and Spock are side-by-side in the shot - pulling off their P2s from their gold pistol belts at the same time and/or holding their respective B&W Hero P2s in the same shot. It would be helpful if I could post screen grabs of these scenes - and the "fair use" clause of US Copyright Law would allow me to do that for education purposes. However - I see no reason to expose this forum to false claims by outsiders when I can communicate what I am trying to say with drawings.

The following side-by-side comparison drawing shows two of the B&W Hero P2s that you can see if you carefully watch episode 5, "The Enemy Within".

Sulu P2 - Spock P2.png

Again these drawings are modified photo composites (of my MR replica P2) intended to represent two different B&W Hero P2s that you can see in episode 5 even if you do not have "Blue Ray"(TM) disks. Granted these are not screen caps - however you should be able to identify which Hero P2s these poor replica drawings represent by the "tells". I will give you a hint - the P2 on the right appears in both episodes 5 and 6. The P2 on the left appears in episode 5 not in episode 6. Another hint - Mr Spock holds the B&W Hero P2 on the right in both episodes.

Attachments

• Sulu-Kirk B&W P2s.png
    Sulu-Kirk B&W P2s.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
In order to be able to tell which hero P2 you are looking at - you have to carefully study Episode 5, "The Enemy Within" and Episode 6, "The Man Trap". Specifically the scenes where Kirk and Spock are side-by-side in the shot - pulling off their P2s from their gold pistol belts at the same time and/or holding their respective B&W Hero P2s in the same shot. It would be helpful if I could post screen grabs of these scenes - and the "fair use" clause of US Copyright Law would allow me to do that for education purposes. However - I see no reason to expose this forum to false claims by outsiders when I can communicate what I am trying to say with drawings.

The following side-by-side comparison drawing shows two of the B&W Hero P2s that you can see if you carefully watch episode 5, "The Enemy Within".

View attachment 1600668

Again these drawings are modified photo composites of two different B&W Hero P2s that you can see in episode 5 even if you do not have "Blue Ray"(TM) disks. Granted these are not screen caps - however you should be able to identify which Hero P2s these poor replica drawings represent by the "tells". I will give you a hint - the P2 on the right appears in both episodes 5 and 6. The P2 on the left only appears in episode 5. Another hint - Captain Kirk carries the B&W Hero P2 on the right in both episodes.
I watched "The Man Trap" again last night and one of the tells for the drawing on the right - the screw in the trigger box may be in the wrong place.

I was looking through the key 4 early episodes for B&W Hero P2s: 5, 6, 7 and 8 (or "The Enemy Within", "The Man Trap", "The Naked Time" and "Charlie X" for those of you who only have access to the "remastered" episodes online and on DVD).

- - See my separate post in this thread for a theory on how all 4 of the B&W Hero P2s are in fact shown in these 4 episodes.

ATTENTION ADMIN: Please do not put my piecemeal "Theory Post" back in this post. I am trying to keep member theories (including mine) separate from this post. Thank you.

Last edited:
Theory I: Were the four B&W Hero P2s made before production filming started, shown in episodes: 5, 6, 7 and 8?

I now believe (and am in the process of verifying my hypothesis) that all four of the original B&W Hero P2s, made by the Desilu Prop Department (DPD) IAW the Desilu Studios production memo, dated 14July1966, entitled "Inventory" were in fact filmed in these 4 key episodes.

I now think:

- There were 3 different B&W Hero P2s filmed in episode 6, "The Man Trap".
And
- There were 3 different B&W Hero P2s filmed in episode 5, "The Enemy Within".

- Two of the 4 B&W Hero P2s were filmed in both episodes. - - Originally I thought 3 of the 4 were filmed in both episodes...

I reviewed high resolution screen caps of the B&W Hero P2s filmed in episodes 5, 6, 7 and 8 as promised to test my original hypothesis.

I now believe that my new Theory (I) is correct. I went back through the key early episodes (5, 6, 7 and 8) and found the following additional statements to be true:

- All four of the B&W Hero P2s were filmed in episodes 5 and 6! - - This is what I had to verify with another deep dive of the screen
caps.

- The fourth Hero P2 was filmed in two different, yet similar shots in episodes 6 and 7! - - I had been looking at these two shots all
along and did not see it!)
===============================================================================================================
Moved during first edit to maintain continuity:

Last night I was watching episode 11, "Daggers Of The Mind" and noticed something about the 'apparent' Hero P2 that Dr. Van Gelder points at Captain Kirk on the bridge (after carrying one of the new "midgrade" P2s in from the Turbo Lift)* - something I had not noticed before. So I went back and took another look at the four key episodes. It was late and I was tired - it had been a long day - so I will take another look at the evidence tomorrow.

I will report my findings tomorrow. Obviously - if any of you have already also observed this possibility - please post your observations here.

* And take a look at the P2 the Redshirt has on his gold pistol belt when he takes his post by the turbo lift door - it looks like a Midgrade not a "plastic". There is no doubt Dr. Van Gelder is holding a "plastic" not a "rubber" just before Captain Kirk kicks the P2 out of Dr. Van Gelder's hand as Spock applies the neck pinch...
================================================================================================================

Theory II: Was the apparent "reworked" Hero P2 that Dr. Van Gelder points (up) in Captain Kirk's direction on the bridge - a "practical" (Hero) P2?

I now think the Van Gelder P2 (= the "Riley" P2) was the first first "accurate dummy" P2 made by the Desilu Props Department (DPD) for the following reasons/observations:

- The P2 that Dr. Van Gelder "points" at Captain Kirk (episode 11, The Dagger Of The Mind) was the first "non-working highly detailed dummy" P2 the DPD made. It looks like the "Riley" P2 in episode 13, Conscience Of The King.
- The "Lenore" P2 (episode 13, Conscience Of The King) was also a "non-working highly detailed dummy" P2. I now believe the "Lenore" P2 was the DPDs second attempt to make a non-working highly detailed dummy P2. The sight window of the Lenore P2 looks like the sight windows of the later "Midgrade" P2s made for "The Devil in the Dark".
- There is no horseshoe behind the sight window of either P2
- Both P2s have Hero parts - rear aluminum fin clips, 10 turn knobs on the rear deck
- The emitters on both P2s were short conical emitters
- The emitter on the Lenore P2 does not light up prior to the appearance of the animated phaser beam.
- The sight window of the Lenore P2 looks like the milky white sight windows of the later "Midgrades" of episode 26, "The Devil In The Dark".

I now believe the Van Gelder / "Riley" P2 was the DPP's first attempt to make an "accurate dummy" P2. (reference: page 273 TMOST)
================================================================================================================

Theory III: Did Wah Ming Chang (WMC) use the "4 Power Packs to make Phaser #4" for his "rework"?

When I saw on the Desilu "production memo" entitled: "Inventory", dated 14July1966, provided by "feek61" - that four power pack grips had been fabricated by the Desilu Props Department (DPD) so that the Phaser # 4 (P4) or the phaser rifle could be assembled - I realized WMC did not add the base plates with the cut-outs to accept the Valise connector plugs to the B&W power pack grips, he simply used the 4 existing power packs that were made to assemble the P4 rifle! All he had to do was paint them.

PHASER GUNS
4 Power Packs to make Phaser #4
6 Wood Dummy Power Packs

Also - I am wondering if the "6 Wood Dummy Power Packs" were the "reserve power packs" that Spock holds up in "Omega Glory"? They did not look like the Hero power pack grips with "tombstones". They looked more like the simplified grips on the "Midgrade" P2s of the second and third season. Thus was one of the six "Wood Dummy Power Packs" used to make the "Midgrade" molds?

Last edited:
I watched "The Man Trap" again last night and one of the tells for the drawing on the right - the screw in the trigger box may be in the wrong place.

I was looking through the key 4 early episodes for B&W Hero P2s: 5, 6, 7 and 8 (or "The Enemy Within", "The Man Trap", "The Naked Time" and "Charlie X" for those of you who only have access to the "remastered" episodes online and on DVD).

- - See my separate post in this thread for a theory on how all 4 of the B&W Hero P2s are in fact shown in these 4 episodes.

ATTENTION ADMIN: Please do not put my piecemeal "Theory Post" back in this post. I am trying to keep member theories (including mine) separate from this post. Thank you.
In the process of testing my hypothesis I discovered the fourth Hero P2 was filmed in two different, yet similar shots in episodes 6 and 7!
Thus my concern about the screw location in my side-by-side comparison drawing posted on Friday in the main thread (I will start numbering all drawings going forward) is no longer valid - because I was confusing the 4th B&W Hero P2 with the B&W Hero P2 that Kirk fires at Dr. Crater on the planet surface in the second combat scene of episode 6, "The Man Trap" - the same Hero P2 Kirk pulls off his gold pistol belt in Engineering when Spock asks him about his phaser in episode 5, "The Enemy Within". These two B&W Hero P2s are not the same phaser! See my the main thread for my latest drawing of what I now believe to be the fourth B&W Hero P2. - - I will edit the main thread ASAP.

Last edited:

the screw in the trigger box may be in the wrong place.
This quote was referring to the B&W P2 in the comparison drawing (which was my first attempt to draw the B&W Hero P2 that Kirk holds in episodes: 5 and 6. And my statement was because I thought the B&W Hero P2 depicted in the following drawing was the same as the B&W Hero P2 that Kirk holds in both episodes.

The following Drawing is what I now believe to be the 4th Hero P2 filmed on gold pistol belts in episodes 6 and 7:

4th B&W Hero P2.png

Drawing 1.X: Fourth B&W Hero P2

In my efforts to keep track of the 4 B&W Hero P2s filmed in the 4 key episodes - I have been naming each B&W Hero the name of the character who first holds the P2. For example the B&W Hero P2 that Sulu uses to heat rocks on the planet surface in episode 5, "The Enemy Within" I call the Sulu P2. And by the same reasoning the B&W Hero P2s that Kirk and Spock first hold in episode 6 (and 5) the Kirk P2 and Spock P2 respectively . (I recognized two of the B&W P2s that Wah Chang reworked - however I did not want any preconceived ideas to cloud my investigation.)

I thought the fourth B&W Hero P2 was the Kirk P2 - and that a shadow was keeping me from seeing the screw near the nozzle. However I can clearly see the screw near the nozzle on the B&W Hero P2 that Kirk fires at Dr. Crater in episode 6. And it also has a cylindrical emitter - though the concentric cylinder emitter on the Kirk B&W Hero P2 is longer.

Another weird thing about the 4th B&W Hero P2 (and I think the Kirk P2 had this also)* the aluminum nozzle looks different - either the range adjustment ring (RAR) was not made the same as the RARs on the Sulu and the Spock B&W Hero P2s or the nozzle on the fourth B&W Hero P2 was made from a different type of aluminum bar stock material.
* You can really see this difference in the weapons locker of the Galileo 7 and when Latimer pulls out the reworked Kirk P2 aka (IMO) the "Unknown" P2 from the "Court Martial" episode deleted scene. (More on this later when I get to the Wah Ming Chang (WMC) "reworked" full color P2s.)

In keeping with my tracking idea - I will henceforth refer to the 4th B&W Hero P2 as the Scot P2 since Mr. Scot is wearing this P2 on his gold pistol belt when he is determining where to cut the Engineering room bulk head in Episode 7, "The Naked Time". Kirk also wears this B&W Hero P2 on his gold pistol belt in episode 6, "The Enemy With". However I had already applied the character name to the P2 that Kirk uses to stun Dr. Crater because I thought these two B&W Hero P2s were the same P2. I found the naming of the Hero P2s and P1s to be a better mnemonic than using numbers...

View attachment 1600003

View attachment 1600007

I have an extensive archive of original photos of screen used P1's and P2's. To view some of these visit my YouTube channel per the link below https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYg_6isRS2s4KrmJYauIX2w Also, I can get you some files that can be downloaded BUT you will need to create (or have) a gmail email account to do this. I can do a thumb-drive with tons of images of screen-used phasers BUT I would need to know where to mail it. Thanks, Jonpaultrek2012 Jon-Paul usa 941.928.8128; leave a long voice mail if I do not pick-up.

I have an extensive archive of original photos of screen used P1's and P2's. To view some of these visit my YouTube channel per the link below https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYg_6isRS2s4KrmJYauIX2w Also, I can get you some files that can be downloaded BUT you will need to create (or have) a gmail email account to do this. I can do a thumb-drive with tons of images of screen-used phasers BUT I would need to know where to mail it. Thanks, Jonpaultrek2012 Jon-Paul usa 941.928.8128; leave a long voice mail if I do not pick-up.
I see you are using some of my pics from my builds in your Wand Laser or Hero Conversion video without my permission.

jonpaul01041, thank you for the offer. (The screen caps you included in one of your YouTube(TM) videos from episode 5 were very helpful in helping me complete my current project.) I will accept your offer - when I order some parts for my DS P2 from you next month.

In the mean time - I am trying to establish an archive in this forum that does not infringe the Rights of CBS Studios. "Fair Use" of Copyrighted material cannot be claimed, as a defense, when money is being made directly or indirectly. Though I am not selling anything on this forum at present - other members are and I too am thinking about selling some of my work when I become a "premium" member.

I do not want to help non-members do to "therpf.com" what they apparently did to the "tpz.com" ...

View attachment 1600668

Again these drawings are modified photo composites of two different B&W Hero P2s that you can see in episode 5 even if you do not have "Blue Ray"(TM) disks. Granted these are not screen caps - however you should be able to identify which Hero P2s these poor replica drawings represent by the "tells". I will give you a hint - the P2 on the right appears in both episodes 5 and 6. The P2 on the left appears in episode 5 not in episode 6. Another hint - Captain Kirk holds the B&W Hero P2 on the right in both episodes.
Hey - does anyone know how to contact "sunking69" aka Nelson Au? Nelson produced outstanding AutoCad drawings of the TOS P2s and P1s back in 2007 and shared his work on the TPZ. I would love to be able to include his drawings in this thread. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to contact Nelson.

jonpaul01041, thank you for the offer. (The screen caps you included in one of your YouTube(TM) videos from episode 5 were very helpful in helping me complete my current project.) I will accept your offer - when I order some parts for my DS P2 from you next month.

In the mean time - I am trying to establish an archive in this forum that does not infringe the Rights of CBS Studios. "Fair Use" of Copyrighted material cannot be claimed, as a defense, when money is being made directly or indirectly. Though I am not selling anything on this forum at present - other members are and I too am thinking about selling some of my work when I become a "premium" member.

I do not want to help non-members do to "therpf.com" what they apparently did to the "tpz.com" ...
Great. My email jonpaul0151@gmail.com. As for copyright issues; all my parts and star trek stuff are sold under a registered trademark "jonpaultrek2012 ® United States Patent and Trademark Office Reg. No.6,431,925". As a legit business, I have a copyright, patent, and trademark attorney. Patents last 14 to 20 years and apply to 3D physical objects exclusively. Copyrights and Trademarks (including registered trademarks) are for 2D things like; a unique-name, logo, photo, movie, or William Shatner's image as Kirk, also exclusively, these last 14 years each. The phrase Star Trek is two common words and is only trademarked (aka copyrighted) when the Logo is used (the Star Trek custom font and colors as registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office). TOS never applied for any toy or prop patents so you are 100% safe BUT do not cut and paste the official Star Trek logo even though it too has an expired copyright/registered trademark (CBS can be touchy about that as the re-runs do well).
Art Asylum does include a Copyright and Registered Trade Mark "raised" on the tail of the TOS toy phaser. This is a reference to the packaging images and logo not to the toy. The toy needs a patent but has none and never had one.
The attached 1991 prop phaser patent (now long expired since 2005) is one example of an item that Paramount patented. Paramount did this with movies and some TV phasers, and other items. The 2009 Star Trek movie prop patents will expire in 2022.
Paramount saw Lucasfilms make boatloads of merchandising money by patenting toys and alike. I understand that was "a new hope" for more $$ for Paramount/CBS. LOL.
In summary: As for TOS licensed products; the only thing CBS/Paramount can license to anyone is specific logos and specific images that CBS/Paramount is keeping current Copyrights and Registered Trade Mark's on. No TOS patents exist so I say why pursue a licensing deal? My business team sees no value in getting a license deal for such things. Did anyone notice the re-packaging graphics on the AA/DS phaser? Maybe 14 years elapsed so it was time for a new photo and a newly copyrighted and trademarked set of graphics?

Attachments

• 0phsr.pdf
    514 KB · Views: 188
Great. My email jonpaul0151@gmail.com. As for copyright issues; all my parts and star trek stuff are sold under a registered trademark "jonpaultrek2012 ® United States Patent and Trademark Office Reg. No.6,431,925". As a legit business, I have a copyright, patent, and trademark attorney. Patents last 14 to 20 years and apply to 3D physical objects exclusively. Copyrights and Trademarks (including registered trademarks) are for 2D things like; a unique-name, logo, photo, movie, or William Shatner's image as Kirk, also exclusively, these last 14 years each. The phrase Star Trek is two common words and is only trademarked (aka copyrighted) when the Logo is used (the Star Trek custom font and colors as registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office). TOS never applied for any toy or prop patents so you are 100% safe BUT do not cut and paste the official Star Trek logo even though it too has an expired copyright/registered trademark (CBS can be touchy about that as the re-runs do well).
Art Asylum does include a Copyright and Registered Trade Mark "raised" on the tail of the TOS toy phaser. This is a reference to the packaging images and logo not to the toy. The toy needs a patent but has none and never had one.
The attached 1991 prop phaser patent (now long expired since 2005) is one example of an item that Paramount patented. Paramount did this with movies and some TV phasers, and other items. The 2009 Star Trek movie prop patents will expire in 2022.
Paramount saw Lucasfilms make boatloads of merchandising money by patenting toys and alike. I understand that was "a new hope" for more $$ for Paramount/CBS. LOL.
In summary: As for TOS licensed products; the only thing CBS/Paramount can license to anyone is specific logos and specific images that CBS/Paramount is keeping current Copyrights and Registered Trade Mark's on. No TOS patents exist so I say why pursue a licensing deal? My business team sees no value in getting a license deal for such things. Did anyone notice the re-packaging graphics on the AA/DS phaser? Maybe 14 years elapsed so it was time for a new photo and a newly copyrighted and trademarked set of graphics?
jonpaul01051, I was talking about the use of phaser photos or "screen caps" taken from the television show on this thread.*

I did not mean to imply that your parts or other "stuff" were in any sort of violation.

I am well aware of the difference between U.S. Copyright Law and U.S. Patent and Trademark Law.

Thanks for the phaser patent pdf - I saw it when I was searching for patents on US survival kits and gear many years ago.

* Of which CBS Studios / Paramount does have an active Copyright in full effect on each episode of the show and the images contained in each.

Has there been confirmation that CBS had anything to do with TPZ shutting down? I have a really, really hard time believing that to be true, nor have I seen any company come in and make a stink about any images shared here. Also, this thread has nothing to do with making any money.

Has there been confirmation that CBS had anything to do with TPZ shutting down? I have a really, really hard time believing that to be true, nor have I seen any company come in and make a stink about any images shared here. Also, this thread has nothing to do with making any money.
mrwax, I was trying to find the TPZ earlier this year to see what might have been posted (int the phaser thread) during my long absence and could not find my saved login page.

So I performed a search on the "Trek Prop Zone" and found a number of complaints and "rip off report" pages. I do not know if CBS or Paramount got involved. However the "rip off report" pages had the following inflammatory phrases in the title of the main report: "...Star Trek Property infringment, CBS infringment, Paramount infringment..." (incorrect spelling left in my quote).

Since this is the only forum left (I was unaware of Hero dot com which is now also gone) - I do not want to take any chances and have not posted any "screen grabs" from copyrighted shows or movies in any of my posts.

Interesting, I only drifted into TPZ a few times before it shut down, same with The Fleet Workshop, so I'm not aware of any of the specifics. Either way, I'm all for more phaser information.

So I performed a search on the "Trek Prop Zone" and found a number of complaints and "rip off report" pages. I do not know if CBS or Paramount got involved. However the "rip off report" pages had the following inflammatory phrases in the title of the main report: "...Star Trek Property infringment, CBS infringment, Paramount infringment..." (incorrect spelling left in my quote).
Those reports are more than a decade old and were just a bunch of bunk. I don't know all the details of why TPZ has gone but it wasn't anything like this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back