Star Trek: The Next Generation Hypospray and Medical Scanner from Factory Entertainment

masterjedi322

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Announced yesterday and estimated to ship next Spring - Star Trek - The Next Generation Medical Set Limited Edition Prop Replica

As primarily a TNG fan, I’m happy FE is finally tackling some TNG-era props, although I would have preferred a nice cobra head phaser or Mark VII tricorder to start…

The medical scanner doesn’t look all that great, but it’s a prototype… Perhaps this means a medical tricorder is in the works…?

I’m no expert on hyposprays. Any thoughts?

Sean

They are prototypes which might account for the Hypospray being quite undersized, not to mention totally the wrong colour not to metion the horribly inaccurate bubble looking brass tip. :oops:
It's great to see TNG replicas being made for the collectors market, but if they dont correct the inaccuracies then I feel fans are being mis-sold over priced poor representations of the actual props.

I have a resin cast of a TNG/VOY hypo that came from production molds and a machined brass tip, and the FE reproductions dont line up.

We'll see how the actual final products turn out. At $400 it's a pricey set.
Reproducing the Season 1 plain medical scanner also ties them into making the Mark VI Medical Tricorder as the Mark VII Medical scanner was made from machined aluminium and had the sequencing, rectangular, green LEDs around the end.

They are prototypes which might account for the Hypospray being quite undersized, not to mention totally the wrong colour not to metion the horribly inaccurate bubble looking brass tip. :oops:
It's great to see TNG replicas being made for the collectors market, but if they dont correct the inaccuracies then I feel fans are being mis-sold over priced poor representations of the actual props.

I have a resin cast of a TNG/VOY hypo that came from production molds and a machined brass tip, and the FE reproductions dont line up.

We'll see how the actual final products turn out. At $400 it's a pricey set.
Reproducing the Season 1 plain medical scanner also ties them into making the Mark VI Medical Tricorder as the Mark VII Medical scanner was made from machined aluminium and had the sequencing, rectangular, green LEDs around the end.
Thanks for the insights on the hypo!

I don’t think the scanner will be plain. The product description states, “Both feature electronic light and/or sound effects…” so hoping that’s just a photo of the prototype.

Sean

It's strange they're starting with these and the flute. Why not something with mass appeal?
I hear you. All these TOS phasers and tricorder, you'd think they’d tackle the same stuff for TNG...

On the other hand, it is interesting they’re doing some niche stuff. Hope it works out for them!

Sean

Thanks for the insights on the hypo!

I don’t think the scanner will be plain. The product description states, “Both feature electronic light and/or sound effects…” so hoping that’s just a photo of the prototype.

Sean
The scanner that FE is producing is in essence accurate to the early Mark VI TNG Tricorder in that it only had the single 5mm red LED in the end as you can see in this Prop Store Auction photo. The original prop scanner was made from resin.
images.jpg

195613.jpg

As I mentioned, this locks FE into producing this particular model of Medical Tricorder.

If FE decide to go for the Mark VII Medical Tricorder they would need to produce the accurate machined aluminium scanner for them to match up.
4085177234_37df4412bd_o.jpg
367449.jpg

The Mark VII Medical Tricorder in TNG was one of the first props I really coveted as a kid watching the series so it's a prop I've studied quite a bit. I have a Rodd.com/HMS kit.

What puzzles me about the FE prototypes is how they can details so wrong that are readily available, there are fans out there who own original props/kits and HMS Props are still in the business and would likely be open to consultation on the replicas.
It will be interesting to see the final products but as an avid TNG/DS9/VOY and ENT fan, I would want the replicas being made to be accurate to justify spending $400 plus the postage import taxes to the UK.

I'll echo other's sentiments, it is great to see TNG finally getting replicas when there have been a lot of TOS reproductions over the years.
LLAP

so is everyone saying that the description is a lie??? It says "TNG Medical Set Replica has been copied directly from surviving resources in the CBS archives to ensure accuracy. Our development team also spent many hours analyzing footage to fine-tune the details."

Very often companies cobble together a prototype WAY in advance of actually producing the final pieces, so that they have something to share with investors, or to use for advertising. I'd even go so far as to say that's the norm. Would not surprise me if they just grabbed some stuff off ebay just to put some concept photos together and to get pre-orders before they started actually putting effort into producing the final pieces.

Or they could be wrong about the assets they had available to them. Who knows. I guess we'll know more once the production pieces come out.

400 seems steep for what are essentially c-grade props, when considering the diversity of props they could have chosen from to produce. I think for about half that cost, you could get really crisp castings of accurate pieces from trusted sources.

Despite all the uncertainty I still preordered because it looks cool and will likely work with my medical tricorder, (I plan on making a medical kit and going to the Chicago con next year as a TNG doctor with the later blue uniform crusher had instead of the teal.)

so is everyone saying that the description is a lie??? It says "TNG Medical Set Replica has been copied directly from surviving resources in the CBS archives to ensure accuracy. Our development team also spent many hours analyzing footage to fine-tune the details."
Available surviving resources.
AKA, pictures taken on set.

FE does not say what surviving resources from the CBS archieves were used. But if they did use a screen used or production made prop, I think they would have mention it. Also, the need for many hours of analyzing footage would not be necessary unless the reference prop used was modified or a prototype.

Despite FE's "meticulous" studies they still manage to get some of the simple things wrong. My experience with them is their quality control needs some serious improving, oh... and if you're buying numbered editions from them, don't expect to receive the actual number you should have E.g if you're the FIRST to order, expect a random number other than #1 of 0000

Received an update from FE that these are in-stock and shipping! I was kinda surprised as I was expecting some additional details to be released and photos of the final products (instead of the prototypes shown in the original listing).

My preorder is on its way, so I’ll post when it arrives.

Sean

Saw someone on Facebook that got theirs and posted pictures. Appears to be rather undersized. I think it clocked in at 4.5" tall, without the vial.

Received an update from FE that these are in-stock and shipping! I was kinda surprised as I was expecting some additional details to be released and photos of the final products (instead of the prototypes shown in the original listing).

My preorder is on its way, so I’ll post when it arrives.

Sean
Mine has shipped as well Sean. I am looking forward to it. Factory Entertainment is becoming a rare prop replica company that actually delivers. GC

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back