Interest Star Trek The Next Generation - 'Hotel Royale' Novel

DB537

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Interest thread for a possible limited run of the novel 'Hotel Royale' by Todd Matthews, from the season 2 episode 'The Royale': "A badly written book, filled with endless cliché and shallow characters." In the episode's script Data reviewed it: "The writing is elementary, the plotting predictable, the characters one-dimensional."

This is the best screencap of the book in the episode. The cover image is a 1988 photo of Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, and I have found the same actual photo that was used for the cover.

theroyale_hd_383.jpg

There was a copy of the Hotel Royale prop book auctioned by Heritage, but it's not the correct version. It was a later copy used for set dressing and isn't accurate.

Currently no info on possible pricing. It would depend upon the cost of obtaining the cover art in addition to the printing/binding costs.

This run will finally be moving forward in 2023, as a single version with random filler, just like the originals.
2024 Update: Due to the death of my mother and the murder of my brother in 2023, this project is temporarily on hold.

These will be made by the same prop house as the original book from the episode.

Last edited:
I would be interested,

Always found this episode fascinating and imagined the slow horror it would be to be trapped in that neverending novel.FE8E3785-8440-4D3A-A78F-3A94D80D5E29.jpeg

D6BB7E21-8596-460B-A562-7F8CA5032754.jpegLooks like a dog or horse publishing mark on spine, perhaps can narrow down the book title they might have used as a template if the publishing company is known.

Last edited:
I would be interested,

Always found this episode fascinating and imagined the slow horror it would be to be trapped in that neverending novel.

Looks like a dog or horse publishing mark on spine, perhaps can narrow down the book title they might have used as a template if the publishing company is known.

I know that TNG used Earl Hays Press for the very few printed paper props they actually used on the show,
so it's most likely a generic logo that Hays created to use on prop books only.

EDIT: It's confirmed to be an Earl Hays Press prop. Look at the spine of item # BK-06 on their site here: http://theearlhayspress.com/book-covers.html

Last edited:
Interested pending price and pictures.

I tried finding some basic structures to recreate the front, and I fear most of it would have to be done by scratch.

Rotated the photo and did some contrast adjustment. The location has been identified.

Hotel Royale.png

Last edited:
Edit: Cover building has been identified as Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, c.1979-1989. No luck finding the exact photo yet

Last edited:
Still trying to find the original photo as used on the prop. There are lots of photos of this building, but many are from the wrong era and all are taken from incorrect angles so far.

caesars.jpg...caesars2.jpg

Proof of concept. Blue lit buildings, Roman columns, and the fountain all appear in the book cover. Wrong angle.
The Red dome also appears on the cover.​

caesars.jpg

caesars2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike J. found the actual photo used on a vintage program brochure for the Circus Maximus Showroom, but it's cropped on the right side.

I knew that it had to be a real photo.

I have contacted Caesar's Palace requesting further information on the original photo or contact info for the original photographer.

There's a good enough reference image available now to ensure that this run will actually happen. :D

3488297631437775564.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back