Star trek Saurian Brandy Bottle. Update w/pic

Jennigirl

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK I found one for sale in near mint condition and I need to know how much I should pay for it?
They are asking $23. still has the original bottle labels and everything, and its the proper yellow glass and the large size.
is $23 a good deal or not?

untitled.png

Last edited:
Re: Star trek Saurian Brandy Bottle question.

Sounds like a fair price to me, especially if that includes shipping. Can't remember what I paid for mine, but then I bought two, one darker (as seen in DS9). I still need to finish them (my first attempt at painting the leather was not so good)

In that case try your luck and haggle. Most antiques places don't mind if you do, and you never know, you may get a bargain!

Get it that is a fair price.

I remember selling them at Trek cons in the 70's for a $ 100.00

Have fun getting the labels off! :lol

Get it. I found one last year at a thrift store {in town of all places} paid $20.00 for it. Labels were damaged {comeing off anyway} and the stopper was glued to the bottle. It's the dark bottle , but I like it. Still needs to be "converted" though.

Sounds like a good deal. I had one I bought for $10 a few years ago. The stopper was broken but the bottle was in good shape.

Well I got it. and am in the middle of cleaning it up for conversion. talk about easy conversion just needs 3 pieces of leather to place around the bottle and a leather chord for the cap and she's ready to paint the orange red color like the original.

Last edited:

Conversion might even be easier than you think. Over at the Phase II (formerly New Voyages) forum someone discovered that, on one of the props at least, one of the vertical red strips seems to have been painters tape, or masking tape painted red.

To get the labels off just spray on your favorite cleanser (Windex, 409, etc) let it sit for a couple of hours then scrape off with a blade (box knife, exacto or widget). I've converted at least a dozen of these and I can safely say that you should be able to finish one in about a day.

You got a good deal. Please note that there's only one stripe of 1" wide leather (tape on the original prop) added to the side of the bottle - this covered up the raised lettering in the glass which is just on the one side. I've made them many times in the past, still have a few laying around that need conversion.
I got to play with some real ones on one of my tours of DS9, so it's a cool piece for me -Have fun with it!

Someone else may suggest differently Jennifer, and although I have not tackled one of these, I think using matt red acrylic paint (the small ones used for plastic models) would be the way to go painting this.

Try it before going for a conversion. (?) . I think it will give you an 'authentic' look.

If you have "The Art of Star Trek" book, page 39 shows a good pic of the bottle. The leather is semi-gloss, if not glossy red, not matte (light reflecting off the shiny surface is very evident in the photo). Also not a deep red, or blood red, but a bright red in color. I used a printers ink for my painting of the leather - worked great, but not readily available to the public. A water based acrylic from Michaels will work great, but will require 2 or more coats for coverage (the leather soaks in the paint). I know you posted that pic above, but it's grainy - real page definately shows glossy leather...

Last edited:
If you have "The Art of Star Trek" book, page 39 shows a good pic of the bottle. The leather is semi-gloss, if not glossy red, not matte (light reflecting off the shiny surface is very evident in the photo). Also not a deep red, or blood red, but a bright red in color. I used a printers ink for my painting of the leather - worked great, but not readily available to the public. A water based acrylic from Michaels will work great, but will require 2 or more coats for coverage (the leather soaks in the paint). I know you posted that pic above, but it's grainy - real page definately shows glossy leather...

Yep. Have the book, saw the page, you are right. It's semi-gloss.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back