Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

Why was Spock the only Vulcan to sense V'ger?
Star Trek The Motion Picture- 1979 BD.mkv_snapshot_00.10.59_[2023.02.01_12.54.54].jpg

Star Trek The Motion Picture- 1979 BD.mkv_snapshot_00.11.05_[2023.02.01_12.55.29].jpg

Hey all… Just watching the movies for the first time…. So questions for ya all that are prob super obvious and easy, but hey… again… newbie here!

Was the world aware Search for Spock was coming out when Kahn was released?

Kahn has such a weird ending… they aren’t even pretending Spock really died…

It felt like there was a cut where they killed him, knowing they would bring him back, but they had test screenings that upset people so they went ham with the “dead… but not really… if we believe…” yammering at the end… then showing the coffin…

It just felt like they didn’t commit to the death… which kinda made the death feel like a cheat before it was even over and took the weight out of it…

Just wondering the history and figured a quicker, more fun way to ask here

Already looked online for “Heeeeey… Checkov wasn’t on the ship in the season when Kahn was….”

Last edited:
I heard Paramount got a lot of flack about Spock's death. I'm not sure exactly when it was leaked. Nimoy even got death threats toward him and his family. Like he has much say in what happens to the character. The comment by Kirk that there are always possibilities, seems to be a nod towards a resurrection. Did they plan the whole arc before Trek 2, pretty sure they did. All the hoopla about the death was so overblown and ridiculous. Like they would permanently kill off Spock before they milked every last drop of money out is just silly. And to think this was all before social media.

STII was written and shot fully intending for it to be the permanent end of Spock.
At the 11th hour, in post, Harve Bennett had the idea to show the torpedo casket. Meyer refused, so Bennett did it himself.

Did they plan the whole arc before Trek 2, pretty sure they did. All the hoopla about the death was so overblown and ridiculous.
Nah Nimoy was DONE with the character, Spock was dead.

Then it was leaked and all hell broke out, Nimoy did not budge untill he got great a deal to think over so Bennet sugested the “Remember” Scene

Further, Nimoy was done after the debacle that was filming TMP. Meyer went out to New York to see him in a play, and they talked afterward about everything but Trek, until Nimoy finally said, "Okay, so how about we get it over with". Meyer opened with the hook that Spock dies, so he's free of it. That got Nimoy's interest enough to read the draft script. He liked the themes and that it was a meaningful death, so he agreed.

Roddenberry was pissed that these newcomers would have the temerity to kill off one of his characters. He was the one who leaked Spock's death, to rile the fanbase. It worked. Meyer put the simulator scene at the top of the film, so it opened with Spock's "death", and then revealed they were all acting for the cadets. So when it finally came, it was a gutpunch, as intended.

But it had been such a good experience being back with everyone, and not having Gene and Harold fighting over the script and going over schedule and everyone exhausted and cranky that Nimoy was starting to have second thoughts. When test screenings showed that audiences were pretty much dead quiet and somber after Spock's death, they realized they needed to soften the blow a little. They wanted to leave it open-ended, so Nimoy wasn't locked in, but yeah -- that's when the "possibilities" line was added, and McCoy's "he's really not dead", the "remember" insert, and, of course, Spock's torpedo on the planet's surface.

That's what I get for believing stuff from the internet, lol. Thanks for the info. Funny Nimoy was still playing Spock for decades after Trek 2. Guess those pay checks were just too good, ; )

That's what I get for believing stuff from the internet, lol. Thanks for the info. Funny Nimoy was still playing Spock for decades after Trek 2. Guess those pay checks were just too good, ; )
Money as well as a chance to direct which REALLY influenced his career later as well as Shatners since what Leonard got Bill got too

As I said before Nimoy was one shrewd business man

Thanks all that checks!

And just watched “Search for Spock”

Weird…. But I liked it! Can’t honestly say I knew what was coming next.

It was clunky, but hey, they stole a ship… I liked the “strategy” in their battle… they blew up a n Enterprise….

Solid 7/10

Now onto the one where they take a bus to see whales… (all I remember)

So many people are all over 2 and 6 as the best Trek films, while -- apart from preferring Kirstie's Saavik -- 3 and 5 are the ones I find more re-watchable, mostly for the character moments. 3 stands out for me as about the best melding of visuals and music and character and story. The score is fantastic, the casting is great (I was familiar with James B. Sikking from Hill Street Blues -- perfect pick to play Styles), the impact of so many of those scenes. Hell, I'll just re-watch the "stealing the Enterprise" portion over and over, it's so tight. The emotion in the scene between Sarek and Kirk is first-rate. The ending is absolutely nailed. "Jim... Your name... is Jim."

I consider 2-3-4 a triptych. No one part alone stands perfectly without the other two, but 2 and 4 have always felt like framing for 3, to me.

The only film I’ve seen all the way through before this watch was V… and I remember saying at work I really dug it and the trek guys just ROASTED ME.
Yeah woulda been nice to maintain Kirstie Alley… the new girl did feel disconnected.

Looking forward to IV more so if it’s still connected to these last two!

The only film I’ve seen all the way through before this watch was V… and I remember saying at work I really dug it and the trek guys just ROASTED ME.
Yeah woulda been nice to maintain Kirstie Alley… the new girl did feel disconnected.

Looking forward to IV more so if it’s still connected to these last two!

Yes, indeed. II, III, and IV became a trilogy by accident, but they're all intimately connected with each other.

And III has any number of plot issues, but it really knocks it out of the park in some key areas. Arguably the most personal and emotional of all the TOS films, capitalizing on 20 years of fan goodwill to tell a story of our heroes dealing with major issues and changes during their golden years.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back