Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

W
Why is it that whenever they get a signal from someone they can just "Put it on screen", yet when Away teams go down it is just audio? They can't put a camera in a communicator?
What is having a visual element adding?
The communicator is small and likely that transmitting visual would be more of a power drain.
The majority of calls today are audio despite the availability of cameras in mobile phones.

It probably been answered already. But when they say put it on viewer, and it's 500 billion, gazillion, ker smililon miles away. How does that work. Jeepers creepers where did Starfleet get those peepers, lol.

It probably been answered already. But when they say put it on viewer, and it's 500 billion, gazillion, ker smililon miles away. How does that work. Jeepers creepers

The only thing that makes sense to me is that what we see on the viewsceen is actually an advanced computer rendering based on subspace scans. No camera needed. Though I'm sure having line of sight still helps somehow.

The Hubbell space telescope is on its 2,580th iteration in the 23rd Century and can capture images covering the entire Alpha Quadrant, effectively allowing anyone to have a “director’s view” of anything they might want to see…such as watching Epsilon 9 being destroyed by V’Ger in ST:TMP, from Earth.

Why is it that whenever they get a signal from someone they can just "Put it on screen", yet when Away teams go down it is just audio? They can't put a camera in a communicator?
They should have personal cams like police, actually, probably more like 360 sensor spheres around them alerting them to anything and everything from a covered hole they might step in, to a saber-toothed Gundark headed their way. All of it on a 3d display for the bridge to see. The atmosphere being "sniffed" for malignant bacteria, etc..

Don't forget the "oh Crap!" Insta-teleport panic button when you look in a mucus covered egg that opened when you got in close proximity.

No request for transport required, when that face-hugger pops out you are already getting teleported home.

Maybe a personal shield that *hardens* when high kinetic energy approaches. It doesnt have to be on for long, just long enough to stop a threat.

In TOS, Christopher Pike in The Menagerie, is in a futuristic wheelchair. In the day where there are medical beds that can automatically monitor the vital signs of a patient, and Spock can modify a universal translator to speak with a non-corporeal being....why can't they find a way for having Pike "say" more than yes or no through a flashing light? You would think that they would at least have a "change me" light.

TazMan2000

They should have personal cams like police, actually, probably more like 360 sensor spheres around them alerting them to anything and everything from a covered hole they might step in, to a saber-toothed Gundark headed their way. All of it on a 3d display for the bridge to see. The atmosphere being "sniffed" for malignant bacteria, etc..
Yea, a whole lot less red shirts, would be dead if they had that, ; )

Don't forget the "oh Crap!" Insta-teleport panic button when you look in a mucus covered egg that opened when you got in close proximity.

No request for transport required, when that face-hugger pops out you are already getting teleported home.

Maybe a personal shield that *hardens* when high kinetic energy approaches. It doesnt have to be on for long, just long enough to stop a threat.
I can see it now. You're watching Info-mercials On late night starfleet TV. New from Ronco, The Oh Crap, Insta-Teleport panic button. Do you frequently encounter xenomorphs, that like to use you as a surrogate parent. Don't live in fear, Ronco is here !

Ronco not responsible for misuse of the OCITPB. Cannot protect you from, Tribbles, Blastoneurons, Borg, or Blue Chicks. Your protection may vary. Red Shirts are statistically likely to be injured or killed, even with OCITPB. This is unavoidable due to intelligence levels and training. Use at your own risk, Ronco not responsible for incidental and collateral damages. Please don't sue us !

I can see it now. You're watching Info-mercials On late night starfleet TV. New from Ronco, The Oh Crap, Insta-Teleport panic button. Do you frequently encounter xenomorphs, that like to use you as a surrogate parent. Don't live in fear, Ronco is here !

Ronco not responsible for misuse of the OCITPB. Cannot protect you from, Tribbles, Blastoneurons, Borg, or Blue Chicks. Your protection may vary. Red Shirts are statistically likely to be injured or killed, even with OCITPB. This is unavoidable due to intelligence levels and training. Use at your own risk, Ronco not responsible for incidental and collateral damages. Please don't sue us !

Tourist pulls out his Popeil pocket fisherman on an alien shore, tosses his line in the drink, as a fish with teeth longer than Bat'leth leaps out of the water to eat you ***transporter sound***

A low level planet is having a raging Political crisis, just as their leader begins to speak, you cut in with your Mr. Microphone. "Hey beautiful! I'll be back to pick you up in fifteen minutes!"
Which unfortunately translates into...well, let's just say, you end up at a firing squad. The snare rolls, the guns fire, and the elctric buzz of your hardened shield saves your life. "We missed?" The shooters ask, bewildered.

The announcer rapidly says, "personal shield and teleporter best applied with a Buttoneer."

All to the tunes of Freedom Rock in the background! TURN IT UP!!!

Tourist pulls out his Popeil pocket fisherman on an alien shore, tosses his line in the drink, as a fish with teeth longer than Bat'leth leaps out of the water to eat you ***transporter sound***

A low level planet is having a raging Political crisis, just as their leader begins to speak, you cut in with your Mr. Microphone. "Hey beautiful! I'll be back to pick you up in fifteen minutes!"
Which unfortunately translates into...well, let's just say, you end up at a firing squad. The snare rolls, the guns fire, and the elctric buzz of your hardened shield saves your life. "We missed?" The shooters ask, bewildered.

The announcer rapidly says, "personal shield and teleporter best applied with a Buttoneer."

All to the tunes of Freedom Rock in the background! TURN IT UP!!!
The buttoneer, why does my mind go to a bad place when I see that, lol.
I think I still have a pocket fisherman. Never used it. I think it's probably best left in the pocket, ; )

The buttoneer, why does my mind go to a bad place when I see that, lol.
I think I still have a pocket fisherman. Never used it. I think it's probably best left in the pocket, ; )
Starfleet quality you can rely on..Dr M’Benga approved

1654555036188.jpeg

In TOS, Christopher Pike in The Menagerie, is in a futuristic wheelchair. In the day where there are medical beds that can automatically monitor the vital signs of a patient, and Spock can modify a universal translator to speak with a non-corporeal being....why can't they find a way for having Pike "say" more than yes or no through a flashing light? You would think that they would at least have a "change me" light.

TazMan2000

That reminds me of when TNG was on, my dad would always say something like "They can make ships like those, transport people to a planet, but they can't give Geordi cybernetic eyes?!?!" When we saw whichever movie where Geordi did get them (?) my dad, in the theater, a little too loudly, went "Finally!" and several people laughed.

That reminds me of when TNG was on, my dad would always say something like "They can make ships like those, transport people to a planet, but they can't give Geordi cybernetic eyes?!?!" When we saw whichever movie where Geordi did get them (?) my dad, in the theater, a little too loudly, went "Finally!" and several people laughed.

I bet he was one of those who saw Phantom Menace back in '99 and yelled "kneel before Zod" at the screen ;) :lol:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back