Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

The Reliant bridge was a redress of the Enterprise bridge and they didn't have enough money to make new graphics for the displays. They just blacked out parts of the Enterprise MSDs. You can see that in some places, e.g. the pie-wedge saucer.
I know that, I suppose that I'm just being nitpicky. But it could use a Lucas like treatment and the Enterprise MSDs replaced with ones that actually look like the Reliant.

Here's something else I just thought of after this most recent re-watch of ST II. Why did the Ceti eel larva crawl out of Chekov's after Captain Terrell killed himself? Khan explained that they would gestate in the brain causing madness before eventually killing the host. While Chekov was clearly in pain, he certainly didn't go mad, so why did the Ceti eel larva crawl out early?

Here's something else I just thought of after this most recent re-watch of ST II. Why did the Ceti eel larva crawl out of Chekov's after Captain Terrell killed himself? Khan explained that they would gestate in the brain causing madness before eventually killing the host. While Chekov was clearly in pain, he certainly didn't go mad, so why did the Ceti eel larva crawl out early?

The eel detected that its sibling had just been incinerated by Captain Terrell and was fleeing Chekov’s head to “make a run for it” before Chekov did the same.

I believe that this was explained in the expanded universe coloring book: Koloring With Khan & His Old Friend Kirk.

Last edited:
I feel like nothing has properly followed the Voyager series, like that had done with DS9, and DS9 to TNG. Where would the next series have gone? At this point, all the options left are expanding the Federation into the Delta Quadrant or trying to jump into the Andromeda galaxy. Also considering the shift in storytelling, would the show still have been a crew on a ship encountering and solving other aliens' cultural problems every episode?

I just re-watched STII last night and there are few questions/continuity errors that came up, some I've wondered noticed for a long time, others are new.

One is the matter of shields. When the Enterprise first encounters the Reliant and right before she attacks, Kirk yells, "Yellow alert" and Savick says something about defense screens activating and we see a display of something happening. In the next scene though, Khan is informed that the Enterprise hasn't raised her shields yet. If defense screens aren't the same thing as shields, then what the heck are they?
Saavik's line is "Energize defense fields", we then see buttons pressed on a panel labeled Phaser Charging and a graphic of the ship with the phaser bank locations being highlighted. Defense fields must refer to the weapons system, but I can't say why the shields were not raised at the same time.

Speaking of secondary hulls, in the scene where Spock briefs Kirk on the damage that Enterprise sustained after Khan's initial attack we see blinking red lights on several spots along the Enterprise's port (left) side. In addition to that, we also see indicators showing damage on the starboard (right) side. How is that possible when we clearly see Reliant on Enterprise's port side and the FX shots do not show Reliant hitting Enterprise anywhere except the port side?
I just figure there are engineering systems on the starboard side affected by the port side hit.
EDIT TO ADD: The flashing red lights were indicating damage, not weapons hits.

As for no Connies seen in TNG we can assume there are a few still around but they purposely never showed them because that ship class is so strongly associated with Kirk's Enterprise, and they wanted to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
Just my speculation but it's how I've always seen it. I think it was defiance, the refusal to obey Khan's order to kill Kirk, that drove the eel out. We hear Tyrell's eel squeal after he rips off his wrist comm then he reacts in pain, which was bad enough that he killed himself (I assume before the eel would have left him, if only he held out a few seconds longer he would have survived). Chekov also disobeyed driving the eel out, which caused him to pass out. While this was one of the famous Chekov scream moments, he still endured it like a boss.

Just my speculation but it's how I've always seen it. I think it was defiance, the refusal to obey Khan's order to kill Kirk, that drove the eel out. We hear Tyrell's eel squeal after he rips off his wrist comm then he reacts in pain, which was bad enough that he killed himself (I assume before the eel would have left him, if only he held out a few seconds longer he would have survived). Chekov also disobeyed driving the eel out, which caused him to pass out. While this was one of the famous Chekov scream moments, he still endured it like a boss.

That's my read of it too.

For what it’s worth, here is the explanation over at Memory Alpha:

In 2285, Khan used Ceti eels to gain the cooperation of Captain Terrell and CommanderPavel Chekov of the USS Reliant. However, both men fought against the eels' control of them; Terrell even committed suicide (vaporizing himself with his own phaser), rather than execute Admiral James T. Kirk as Khan had ordered him to do. After Terrell's death, Chekov collapsed in agony, whereupon the eel that had infected him – possibly sensing the death of its "brother" – crawled out of Chekov's ear and fell to the ground, where it was quickly vaporized by Kirk. (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

And IMBD:

Terrell was commanded to kill Kirk while the eel was in his brain, but he visibly struggled against the command, ultimately killing himself instead. Chekov merely passed out due to the pain the eel was causing, at which point the creature came out of his head via his ear. As to why the eel apparently chose to exit Chekov's body, presumably it somehow sensed the death of its sibling and left the body in an attempt to save itself before Chekov also committed suicide, only to meet its end at the hands of Kirk's phaser. Alternatively, what we witnessed may have been the natural end of the Ceti Eel infestation, which proved fatal to Khan's infected followers due to a lack of medical supplies (and possibly medical training), but which Chekov was able to survive thanks to Dr. McCoy's presence.

I can buy the last theory, the one that states it basically "hatched" and Chekov was able to survive because McCoy was there to deliver prompt medical treatment.

I'm also curious how much their fighting the eels helped. Khan's description was of how it affected his people. I don't know that they would have been trying to disobey orders. So it's also possible Terrell and Chekov "poisoned the soup".

When the Enterprise first encounters the Reliant and right before she attacks, Kirk yells, "Yellow alert" and Savick says something about defense screens activating and we see a display of something happening. In the next scene though, Khan is informed that the Enterprise hasn't raised her shields yet. If defense screens aren't the same thing as shields, then what the heck are they?
Yellow alert automatically involves various ship's functions going active, which weren't at normal cruising operations, as an indicator of heightened readiness -- while not at battle alert. Phasers are energized, torpedo systems go live, but no targeting or loading is taking place yet. Defensively, shields go up automatically at red alert, but not yellow. The Captain would have to order that separately. The "defense fields" you saw being energized are, basically, overcharging the Structural Integrity Fields in critical portions of the ship -- most significantly for us, the bridge superstructure. Makes sense if it remains an exposed portion of the ship, rather than being embedded in the hull.
Another oddity, on the Reliant we a diagram on one of the monitors, presumably one of the ones showing a diagram/layout of the ship. But it doesn't anything like Reliant, instead, it looks suspiciously like the secondary hull of the Enterprise. What gives with that?
Easiest fudge for that is that the Enterprise and Reliant both have about the same internal volume. If you discount the big hangar bays the Reliant has to each side of the impulse engines, the remaining space would look a good bit like a section view of the Enterprise's secondary hull.
Another question that came up when I was watching was, how did the Miranda class survive to the TNG era and the refit Connie didn't? Every time the Reliant was hit on the back of the ship or on the roll bar, or on the nacelles, we see the bridge explode in a shower of sparks and debris. Seems like a serious design flaw to me and would make the Miranda not exactly a ship design that you would want to keep around for overly long. That's unless they fixed that design flaw sometime after TWoK and made the Miranda a great design.
The Miranda made a good Light Cruiser/Heavy Frigate. Compact, large and redundant shuttle facilities, flexibility in loadout. A good low-mass workhorse for low-risk areas. Remember, the Reliant hadn't been expecting to run into Khan. The Saratoga hadn't expected to run into the Whalesong Probe. The Lantree was being used as a supply ship with a small crew. Etc. They're not front-line starships, but good supplementary vessels.

The Constitutions, on the other hand, were ships-of-the-line. Their relevance relied on staying as bleeding edge as possible for as long as possible. A lot of the tech that went into Enterprise's 2270s refit was derived from stuff developed and in use on the Miranda class already -- saucer detailing, bridge module, phaser banks, navigational deflectors, warp-powered impulse engines, torpedo systems, and so forth. It all kept the class cutting edge for over a decade until the Excelsior class started to roll off the blocks. Besides the fact that, by then, the class was second-string, the Khitomer Accords probably required Starfleet to retire one or more of its combat-focused classes. The Excelsior class was brand-new and was reconfigured into Starfleet's first Explorer (the Enterprise-B), but the Constitution class was a relic of a conflict they were trying to put behind them, and almost half a century old by that point.

The initial notion was to make Picard's old ship that class, but they decided against it. The Constellation class it ended up being was in part because it matched Geordi's mouth movement enough to overdub the scripted "Constitution class" line. But we do know they're still around -- at least mothballed indefinitely. One of them, at least, was activated to try to stop the Borg from reaching Earth, and was destroyed at Wolf 359.
Lastly, something that I've wondered about for the longest time. Where are the lights that light up the Starfleet symbol on the side of the secondary hull
Forward ends of the warp nacelles. Two sets of spotlights -- one angled toward the pennants.
and Enterprise on the very back of the Enterprise below the shuttle bay doors
Trailing ends of the nacelles. It's an awkward angle, but do-able with tight-focus lights.
Does the Enterprise have little spot lights that follow her along like remoras on sharks to light her up in the those and other areas where we don't see a light source. I'd noticed for the first time last nigh that the Reliant has some of the same invisible/mystery lights lighting up her nacelles right where her hull number sits. There's also invisible spotlights lighting up the Starfleet emblem on her pylons as well. I think that by TNG Starfleet seems to have gotten rid of these invisible spotlights that fly alongside their ships
Ah, the Reliant, now... *sigh* The registries painted on the aft ends of the nacelles is self-illuminated. But the pylon markings are problematic.

latest?cb=20120821193919&path-prefix=en.jpg

I always wanted to know… what are the chase lights under the viewscreen? and makes ping noise?
Are these sensor sweep indicators? And the pings subspace burst ping?
Pleeease anyone?????
Possibly, and this is a shot in the dark, but perhaps it is like the cursor on a computer, in that it tells the viewer that the image has not frozen. The viewer does not present a picture, from cameras, but a computer created from all the data coming in from the sensors. All the various radiations not in the visable spectrum are interprated and layered into a single view. It's like Geordi laforge's Visor, which provides him with far more then a human one could. Remember in the first few episodes, when Captain Picard asked him to "have a look" through a view port to to verify the image. In fact it is what NASA's JPL, does with the raw image data to give it all the beauty and majesty of the Universe. Hope this helps.

How come they never have to use passwords?
Whatever they're using, I wish we'd hurry up and get it.

closest I remember is specific spoken codes and authorizations to do stuff like set self destruct devices, etc.

I always imagined, at least from TNG and on, that the idea is the whole ship has a known crew that could have all their voices and faces saved in the computer for access.

I think I also remember visitors to the ship sometimes being given a pseudo communicator type gizmo that controlled where they could go; the ship tracked the badge and would open doors and move elevators/lifts to only authorized places.

Last edited:
While I really appreciated that the destruct sequence code from Search for Spock was the same one used in Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, it reflects poorly of Starfleets password protocol. Of course in practice it's the Voiceprint that really acts as the password.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back