Star Trek props that are no longer fiction

Re: Star Trek props that are longer fiction

I want to see what the NEXT 45 years brings!

id love to see the transporter invented, and soon after, speak to a therapist because of the fear of "beaming".

id love to see the transporter invented, and soon after, speak to a therapist because of the fear of "beaming".

You could easily argue that dematerialization kills the person, and what is rematerialized is a perfect copy. That thought alone would keep me from willingly getting my atoms scattered...

I think those might have been around before hand.

They mention the biobed, but don't discuss the monitors. The Airforce actually saw those on Trek, and studied them. They eventually became the monitors we all know from the hospital now.

The military also studied the layout of the Enterprise bridge. Apparently, they've incorporated it's design into at least two military installations... however, they're location is still unknown.

You could easily argue that dematerialization kills the person, and what is rematerialized is a perfect copy. That thought alone would keep me from willingly getting my atoms scattered...

Yea thats a pretty screwed up concept. You don't suddenly teleport your body down there. You essentially commit suicide, and leave it to your clone to continue your work.

Though this concept becomes a little less disturbing when you realize that this has essentially already happened to you many times before. The body replaces all of its cells roughly every 7 years. That means you are technically a replica of a person that slowly died over the course of the last decade.

However, your brain cells do not regenerate nor are replaced, so you are indeed the same person although your body parts are replaces by new ones from time to time. But if you teleport, your brain cells are also destroyed, and only information travels. I really doubt that we can be still alive as information and then be placed in a new body.

Besides, Ryker had a living clone in one episode due to a teleport malfunction. Which one was the "real" Ryker? None of them, both were copies.

It's really creepy, and I would NEVER ever use or let one of my dear ones use a teleport machine. :S

Kirk had an even clone way before Riker.

The one cool thing about suicide beaming is you could remove any diseases from your body between transport.

The one cool thing about suicide beaming is you could remove any diseases from your body between transport.

Or you could potentially make a backup copy yourself in the teleporter computer system that could be activated incase you accidently die.

However, your brain cells do not regenerate nor are replaced, so you are indeed the same person although your body parts are replaces by new ones from time to time. But if you teleport, your brain cells are also destroyed, and only information travels. I really doubt that we can be still alive as information and then be placed in a new body.
Yea, exactly. One tiny computer glitch in the reassembly and recoding process and your brain can get seriously messed up or your body given cancer.

Well... the transporter scans you so that it can put you back together exactly as it took you apart, disassembles you at the quantum level, converting your body to energy, moves that energy to a different place and then using that same material/ energy, reassembles it exactly as it took you apart. So, you're not a replica, you've just been taken apart and put back together.

Now when it comes to the transporter doubles... either one of them would have to be a replica, or both of them would have to be made up of a certain percentage of new material... that part is a little unnerving because you aren't actually you anymore.

As to whether or not you die during transport... well... I'm not entirely sure what life is anyway... but lots of people have been dead and come back. They're still the same people.

As to whether or not you die during transport... well... I'm not entirely sure what life is anyway... but lots of people have been dead and come back. They're still the same people.

But all of them still use the same body and the same brain. The probem in this case is that you would have a completely new material form. Then, where is your conciousness? If you believe in God and all that, you can call it soul. Does the transporter send the soul through radio waves or what? If you don't believe in souls, it's easier then: brain is dematerialized, end of your story.

They would have to find a way to know for sure if they will preserve the self conciousness after the transport before even thinking about trying with human beings

Some of those are still fantasy, especially the tricorder.

The tricorder certainly is. The only other one I would say still remains outside the realm of ST is what we call GPS.

On Star Trek they could locate a "person" on a planet with pin-point precision. That isn't exactly what GPS is.

Now about the transporter...

No, I'm not going to fan that fire. ;)

Kevin

That tech is starting to be available as personal locator beacons, but right now it's so that folks lost in the wilderness or at sea can be found.

GPS serves the purpose, it just requires an infrastructure be in place to make it work (i.e. the satellites). And even on Trek, they couldn't pick a single person out of a crowd unless there was something to differentiate the person, either them being a totally different species (i.e. the only human in a city of millions), or wearing a communicator (which always doubled as a tracking beacon, even on board the ship).

The one I'm really looking forward to is the tricorder. Think you've got rats in the garage? Just scan the walls, yep, there they are, clear as Christmas, no matter where they're hiding. Scan for your car keys or your phone when you misplace it. Even with a limited range, it would just be so damn useful.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back