Star Trek: Picard

Oh look comments have been disabled....

View attachment 1290263

In the Trek universe, didn't we move past this brown stuff that comes out of our behinds?
WOW, that's some incredibly unnecessary exposition and retconning. As if I needed another reason to avoid this crap.
I always viewed the Trek universe to be a place where humans were beyond identifying themselves with whatever sort of mythology they were born into or what color their skin is. Those are "primitive" concepts from before the 21st century by Trek standards. It would be like shoe horning in smoking and swearing just to get today's audiences to relate....oh, I see.
"Make it #$@&in So!"

Trek's fully liberated women wouldn't play well in some of the world yet where women are oppressed, whatever the reasons may be.
However I do think it important to depict women from these parts of the world in the Trek future... fully liberated.
I am certain Roddenberry would agree with that. And doesn't mean you don't hang onto some past cultural aspects, like many of the Trek characters do.

The norm for those in Starfleet was Secular Humanism. There were only a few religious trappings in TOS -- the strongest of which was the marriage in "Balance of Terror" -- and the bulk of the content was that we'd mostly grown past the "need" for religion, as we'd grown past a lot of our sexual hangups and relationship jealousy. A lot, mind, not all. We do see characters taking pride in their cultural heritage, though. A Middle-Eastern character who was proud of their antecedants keeping science and learning alive in the Western world during the Dark Ages would be appropriate, We've seen lots of ships and shuttles recognizing that. Wearing a hijab is a fairly minor thing, in this respect -- similar to Worf's sash or Ro's earring. Scotty wore his kilt as part of his dress uniform. As long as it's that person's choice, well and good. As soon as it's something their culture requires them to do, we've left the established setting of Star Trek.

...and Nimoy fought tooth and nail NOT to wear it! :D

LOL

He lost. Roddenberry was into making "credits" as much as anyone. Though let's face it the entire series
was intrinsically filled with props and endless product placements for so many models and toys. One more thing
wasn't terrible.

I just became a little more disappointing in Picard.

I'm watching Star Trek Enterprise, season 4 ep Boarderland, with the augments. I don't mind the episode, but what bothers me, and that we have Brent Spiner playing Dr. Soong and his desire to take his augments to start a new civilization.

This is when it just hits me, that in Picard, we have his ancestor Dr Soong, taking his augments, I mean synths, to start a new civilization.

I'm sure someone probably already noted the similar story line, but I just did, because I'm on that episode, and it really did just make Picard so much more disappointing.

They HAVE so much time to prepare a storyline for their year long arc, and with so few episodes, I just don't get how they can be so sloppy. A lot of the actors have been saying we need to give them a chance. Story telling is different now. But that's not the case exactly. Enterprise had year long arcs, and if you dump down the number of episodes to match Picards, they pretty much are in line. Older shows had long arcs as well. Notably X Files, if not to the same degree, but pretty damned close.

My point is, that it just dumbfounds me that if we complain about anything, we're just trolls. Praise everything and give everything a chance? No. They're supposed to be smarter than 80's and 90's TV. Learn something and give us something decent.

But no. They rip of the worst of the JJ Verse. They use the series to prop up Discovery's garbage trek. They rip off Star Trek Enterprise's augment premise AND use Soong again as a way to bring back Brent. All to give us a Data Swan Song ending that we NEVER needed. Picard got his closure over Data decades after the fact. That's a pretty pathetic future.

Sorry about the rant. Clearly it pissed me off LOL

They rip off Star Trek Enterprise's augment premise AND use Soong again as a way to bring back Brent. All to give us a Data Swan Song ending that we NEVER needed. Picard got his closure over Data decades after the fact. That's a pretty pathetic future.

Sorry about the rant. Clearly it pissed me off LOL

Not so fast...I NEEDED to see Data dress up as a Hugh Hefner wannabe, complete in a smoking jacket...and turning to ashes while listening to the very tiresome, overused—and apparently the only song stored in his amazing positronic brain—“Blue Skies”. An IPod from 2010 apparently has a more extensive song selection than Data’s brain.

0C49C2BB-E52F-4AAB-B679-51C7CBF79470.jpeg

Take me now. Thanks to the makers of Picard, I can die happy and complete.

“Blue skies...smiling at meeeeeee....”

Last edited:
He says something like "it won't do you any good to aim at my heart, it's made of solid duranium."

SOLID? That isn't a heart, it's a paperweight. You kind of need it to have four hollow chambers...

Trek's fully liberated women wouldn't play well in some of the world yet where women are oppressed, whatever the reasons may be.
However I do think it important to depict women from these parts of the world in the Trek future... fully liberated.
I am certain Roddenberry would agree with that. And doesn't mean you don't hang onto some past cultural aspects, like many of the Trek characters do.
Actually I 100% disagree... Star trek has been and would continue to be a way to cleverly disguise these things and "in another time" so unimportant" fantasy, but very important to those oppressed peoples as an example of what could be...

Just sayin' :)

Jedi Dade

Actually I 100% disagree... Star trek has been and would continue to be a way to cleverly disguise these things and "in another time" so unimportant" fantasy, but very important to those oppressed peoples as an example of what could be...

Just sayin' :)
That's kinda the point of sci-fi in general -- socio-political commentary and examination of the human condition at the safe remove of a relatable but not familiar setting. Doesn't have to be as heavy-handed as "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" or "The Outcast" -- it's there for much of TOS and TNG.

The simplistic heavier handed moments of moralizing are Trek classics....such as Tasha Yar’s “After School Minute” on the dangers of drugs in the 1980’s:

5E060E51-1142-424F-A7E3-02026715271C.jpeg

I just rewatched the Voyager two part episode "Unimatrix Zero". I don't think the Star Trek Picard producers have seen it as they would have possibly thought to include Axom, Seven's lover from her time in Unimatrix Zero into her story since Voyager ended.
Axom was on a Borg Cube in a remote section of the Beta QUadrant at the time of the episode. Assuming his cube remained in that sector and he was liberated from the collective surely with Seven being in the Beta Quadrant too, as of the time of the Picard series, surely they would have at least met up.
Oh yeah, the producers and writers only want to tell stories about really damaged people, nobody is allowed happiness in this series.
My mistake!
Michael Chabon is right, we "toxic fans" just need to stop questioning his amazing series because it is a work of genius and immune to scrutiny.

I just rewatched the Voyager two part episode "Unimatrix Zero". I don't think the Star Trek Picard producers have seen it as they would have possibly thought to include Axom, Seven's lover from her time in Unimatrix Zero into her story since Voyager ended.
Axom was on a Borg Cube in a remote section of the Beta QUadrant at the time of the episode. Assuming his cube remained in that sector and he was liberated from the collective surely with Seven being in the Beta Quadrant too, as of the time of the Picard series, surely they would have at least met up.
It's obvious they haven't watched/don't care about what came before beyond the most superficial of trappings. As I mentioned before, I feel like Icheb's bestie, Q Junior, would come a-runnin' to stop his friend being vivisected. Never mind all the problems with Data.

Speaking of damaged people, though. I don't subscribe to the hyperbole about "ZOMG murderer!", but something about that guy has been niggling... How much have we seen, from TOS up through the end of the DS9/VOY period, of a commanding officer giving an illegal/unethical order, a subordinate refusing that order, and the consequences? His Captain ordered him to kill without just cause, he didn't want to, did, and was so messed up about it he quit Starfleet. We've seen some bad Captains -- and that's something that bugs me in itself. Subtle cases like Ben Maxwell make for good story, and you can see why his crew went along with it. Rudy Ransom is more problematic, but at least there's the melodrama of them having "had to" kill the crew who objected, and most of the survivors were seriously tormented by what they were doing. But outside of those two examples? TOS showed a better screening process. R.M. Merrick washed out and look what he did to his non-Starfleet crew from his non-Starfleet ship in "Bread and Circuses".

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back