Star Trek: Picard

No props of holograms? ;)

The few small things they have had have been so boringly generic. There's nothing I want from it yet. That could change for season 2 hopefully.

Well, I wouldn't mind Riker's wood fired pizza oven! Or home in the woods away from people. Or a bottle of Rios' bourbon. I love booze.

On a different note, does anyone think that someone will try to use Cristobal to see into the future?

:D
Well, they had an "old school" tricorder in this recent episode, I didn't get a good look at it, but maybe you guys will like it.

Just watched the latest episode.

My head hurts and I am now just a little dumber for having subjected myself to this.

The unearned moments and ludicrous storytelling continues...

I have not seen so many scenes of people just sitting and talking, and spouting endless exposition, since the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. That’s 90% of this show.

Oh yeah, and the Newly Discovered Soong...I’m going to assume that’s, somehow, Lore. Obviously, since Jay Leno’s daughter can be made to look more human, and not like an Oscar trophy with yellow eyes, Lore could have done the same and “upgraded” his appearance, to look more human.

It was so typical of this show that this New Soong guy appears and Picard asks him “0” questions and simply wanders off, by himself, to go sit at a picnic table.

Last edited:
I just started reading this thread a bit, but I was a vocal detractor of ST Discovery on that show's thread, so I thought I'd offer up my opinions.
First, I'm enjoying ST Picard. I do have problems with some of it, and some of those problem are the same as I had with STD, but overall, I like it. For me, the characters are more interesting than STDs lineup. And there's definitely less crying - I don't mind tears, but when Michael Burnham was weeping every episode, it dilluted the emotional impact and was too repetitive.

A big problem with STD that separates it from STP is the fact that it was not only a prequel, but a sequel to a prequel. Taking place in between two Trek series hamstrung it (as it rightly should have), so that when it deviated from the established Trek lore, it really seemed out of place. STP is at least moving forward, and filling in some details of Trek history since the last movie. For me, that allows me to accept some differences to the Trek we knew more than with STD.

Now, am I happy with everything in STP? No. I agree with others about the violence being too much. Not only that, but the violence seems to not have as much impact as it should. Like Picard giving a speech to the Romulans while standing a few feet from a recently beheaded man. That also seems out of character for Picard to allow that sort of violence and not give the dead the respect they deserve. He did chastise Elnor later, but still.
And speaking of reactions to violence, the fact that everyone seemed to waive away Agnes's murder of Bruce Maddox happened too quickly. It almost feels like the writers were planning on more episodes before the end of the season, and had to truncate her story arc. I mean, I had assumed STP would have 13 episodes per season like STD had, so I was surprised that episode 10 will be the last of season 1.

That said, I still am interested in the story line, and am genuinely curious how this season will wrap up. Knowing there will be a season 2 makes me think there won't be much resolution to it though.

Just watched the latest episode.

My head hurts and I am now just a little dumber for having subjected myself to this.

The unearned moments and ludicrous storytelling continues...

I have not seen so many scenes of people just sitting and talking, spouting endless exposition, since the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy.

Oh yeah, and the Newly Discovered Soong...that’s Lore.
I don't know about the new Soong being Lore. I think they might be planning to put his consciousness into the "golem" body, making him a new android, though.
My first thought about the new Soong was actually about the fact that every Soong that we've seen has looked the same, and Data, Lore, and B4 did as well. Obviously, Brent Spiner playing all the characters is the reason. But my personal take is that, since Arik Soong, seen in STE, was into genetic engineering, all the subsequent Soongs are actually clones of him. It might also explain why Soong was able to create what no one else was able to, the highly advanced positronic brain in the Soong-type android, because he was able to keep his intelligence and experience progressing through centuries via different cloned bodies.

This week's episode crystalized my core problem with the show: the main characters are all passive, incurious idiots. Time and again they take information at face value, only for later shocking reveals to undermine what they (and the audience) know, which they also take at face value until it happens again. They fail to ask obvious questions and don't follow up on leads or think through anything related to their goals. It's especially infuriating because they know there's a conspiracy actively working against them. They're all dumbasses.

It makes for a frustrating viewing experience because the only characters making decisions and driving the story forward are the secondary ones. (Secondary characters who, annoyingly, tend to get killed off after they've served their purpose.) And all so that the writers can drag out one or two basic sci-fi ideas to a 10 episode length. If even one main character showed the slightest initiative, all these payoffs the writers are saving for the season finale would have had to happen five or more episodes earlier, and then they'd have to do some work developing a real story.

Last edited:
You know it would be hilarious if they eschewed the current story and made the season finale a Barclay fluff episode. You would hear people's heads exploding.

Sort of like the 1st season Voyager episode "Projections" except this time it's just Picard waking up from a nightmare! :lol:

I really hope this is how they end this abomination of a show:

The synth homeworld is saved. The treacherous Sutra and her father Lore (disguised as the younger Soong) have been deactivated. The Zhat Vash has been thwarted.

Picard... who has been totally cured (don't ask how)... celebrates with Soji and her Synth kin as Raffi, Rios, Jurati, Seven and Elnor join in, their mood jubilant.

At a distance, two familiar figures witness the celebration.

RIKER: I think I'm ready to talk to Captain Picard. I should have done it a long time ago.
TROI: So, I guess we're through here.
RIKER: I guess we are. Computer, end programme.

THE END.

I predict they will all go to the future cause "time travel is the plot fixer for lazy screenwriters" and Picard will take over the Discovery where he will take many naps in the command chair as everyone hugs and cries.

I really hope this is how they end this abomination of a show:

The synth homeworld is saved. The treacherous Sutra and her father Lore (disguised as the younger Soong) have been deactivated. The Zhat Vash has been thwarted.

Picard... who has been totally cured (don't ask how)... celebrates with Soji and her Synth kin as Raffi, Rios, Jurati, Seven and Elnor join in, their mood jubilant.

At a distance, two familiar figures witness the celebration.

RIKER: I think I'm ready to talk to Captain Picard. I should have done it a long time ago.
TROI: So, I guess we're through here.
RIKER: I guess we are. Computer, end programme.

THE END.

If only! :lol:

I predict they will all go to the future cause "time travel is the plot fixer for lazy screenwriters" and Picard will take over the Discovery where he will take many naps in the command chair as everyone hugs and cries.

That is so dumb, it HAS to be true...let me tell you about a man called ‘Alex Kurtzman’.

- Rich Evans regarding Star Trek: Picard

Last edited:
I've heard the term "destroyer of worlds" used for one of the characters in ST Picard.

That was already used in Season 5 of Agents of SHIELD to describe Daisy Johnson/Skye so that's another thing Kurtzman has "paid homage" to.

The dialogue and sloppiness of how the characters act. It's just like watching a generic show. There's so little that makes it stand out from everything else.

And that CONSTANT drone of "tension" music in the background. I just can't stop hearing it when I'm watching it. Again, this generic every show tension music when it's JUST not needed.

I did like a few scenes. The brief battle above the planet. Even the giant flowers taking them down, though it's a dumb concept, it looked neat.

The ships crashed on the surface, and the colourful alien world landscape was nice. I love seeing people around crashed ships for some reason. I'm not being facetious.

Picard seemed to sound a little less aged than normal, but again, it's like he's there, but while he has respect and "love", he has little authority or even the ability to talk his way out of anything anymore. It's like the ONE thing he should be able to do because of his physical restrictions, but he doesn't get to. He has no presence when it's needed to drive things forward.

One thing that really bugged me and it should have I guess. It was the incredibly useless scene in sickbay when dr annoying needs to scan picard and makes a reference to having to use an "old school" tricorder. First off, I hated so many contemporary phrases like that, but they MAKE a point of drawing our attention to a prop that we SHOULD as fans recognise. That wasn't put there for non fans. SO as a fan, I'm expecting something recognizable.

But nope- another prop fail. Along with all the "gun" looking weapons handed out.

Are they even trying?

The dialogue and sloppiness of how the characters act. It's just like watching a generic show. There's so little that makes it stand out from everything else.

And that CONSTANT drone of "tension" music in the background. I just can't stop hearing it when I'm watching it. Again, this generic every show tension music when it's JUST not needed.

I did like a few scenes. The brief battle above the planet. Even the giant flowers taking them down, though it's a dumb concept, it looked neat.

The ships crashed on the surface, and the colourful alien world landscape was nice. I love seeing people around crashed ships for some reason. I'm not being facetious.

Picard seemed to sound a little less aged than normal, but again, it's like he's there, but while he has respect and "love", he has little authority or even the ability to talk his way out of anything anymore. It's like the ONE thing he should be able to do because of his physical restrictions, but he doesn't get to. He has no presence when it's needed to drive things forward.

One thing that really bugged me and it should have I guess. It was the incredibly useless scene in sickbay when dr annoying needs to scan picard and makes a reference to having to use an "old school" tricorder. First off, I hated so many contemporary phrases like that, but they MAKE a point of drawing our attention to a prop that we SHOULD as fans recognise. That wasn't put there for non fans. SO as a fan, I'm expecting something recognizable.

But nope- another prop fail. Along with all the "gun" looking weapons handed out.

Are they even trying?

I'm not watching the show so I'm going to ask.
What did the "old school tricorder" look like? Was it the Mark X or the larger screen Nemesis style Tricorder?

OR
Like everything else in this series, it sort of looked like a Tricorder and made a different sound?
Because whoever is the post production supervisor along with the sound editor they need to be told, you can't just download a stock sound effects clip from Trekcore and stick it over anything.
I mentioned this before after watching the 1st episode, they had the DS9 hailing frequency chimes on Soji's replicator when "dispensable plot contrivance boyfriend" is scrolling through the replicator menu.
Or when Picard taps his comm to call Rafi and the comm sound is just a bit off, in that it sounds like a blend between the standard TNG sound and the TOS comm.

Whatever.
The show is terrible in many ways.

Last edited:
I'm not watching the show so I'm going to ask.
What did the "old school tricorder" look like? Was it the Mark X or the larger screen Nemesis style Tricorder?

OR
Like everything else in this series, it sort of looked like a Tricorder and made a different sound?
Because whoever is the post production supervisor along with the sound editor they need to be told, you can't just download a stock sound effects clip from Trekcore and stick it over anything.
I mentioned this before after watching the 1st episode, they had the DS9 hailing frequency chimes on Soji's replicator when "dispensable plot contrivance boyfriend" is scrolling through the replicator menu.
Or when Picard taps his comm to call Rafi and the comm sound is just a bit off, in that it sounds like a blend between the standard TNG sound and the TOS comm.

Whatever.
The show is terrible in many ways.

Sorry- I wasn't too clear. Too early when I posted.

That tricorder didn't look like anything recognizable. At least not that I could tell and I admit to not pausing to look.

And that's my main point about it. Why put in the scene to draw attention to something only fans would care about, and then NOT follow through? It just pisses me off.

I agree about the weird mashing of sounds from all over. The medical bay scanner uses TNG tricorder sounds for some reason. They put weird fan pandering into places they don't belong. It's literally like they have NO production people who care or like Star Trek. They just cherry pick things to mover their story along.

The only thing that keeps me in, is that there are distinct glimpses of things that can be good. Like the sun struggling to show through a dreary long overcast winter. Shame that discover has absolutely none of those glimpses.

I agree about the weird mashing of sounds from all over. The medical bay scanner uses TNG tricorder sounds for some reason. They put weird fan pandering into places they don't belong. It's literally like they have NO production people who care or like Star Trek. They just cherry pick things to mover their story along.

The sound design mess was very distracting, when I was watching this show. It takes you out of the story (not that the story was coherent either) to then start questioning the production itself.
It would be like a fire engine driving passed you and it kept repeating the Netflix logo sound rather than the actual siren.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back