Star Trek: Picard

Wow another entertainment thread not to read on the site.

Anyway I'm enjoying the show, enjoy Disco and pay for CBS Access entirely so they will continue to make entertaining Star trek programming. :)
This is an open thread, don't think you can't post your love of the show if that's how you feel, it's all just opinion.
We are all coming at the series from different angles.
If you love the Picard show that's just as valid as those who don't and wish the show was so much better and more in keeping with the core values of Star Trek.
Extol the virtues of your favourite series, we're all fans of Star Trek in one form another.

This is an open thread, don't think you can't post your love of the show if that's how you feel, it's all just opinion.
We are all coming at the series from different angles.
If you love the Picard show that's just as valid as those who don't and wish the show was so much better and more in keeping with the core values of Star Trek.
Extol the virtues of your favourite series, we're all fans of Star Trek in one form another.

Hey, theoretically, that's great, but when you post something positive and it's immediately followed by a bunch of posts about how only an idiot could like this thing, that doesn't really make people eager to share.

Hey, theoretically, that's great, but when you post something positive and it's immediately followed by a bunch of posts about how only an idiot could like this thing, that doesn't really make people eager to share.

Fair point.
It's all just opinion, good or bad it can all lead to discussion.
It would be interesting to hear why people are enjoying it and I don't mean that in a critical way.
If the fans who are enjoying the show chime in more then maybe the thread wouldn't be perceived so much as a negative one, even though I can see why that would be a valid observation.
As long as the discussion is limited to the show and not personal then we are all just sharing opinions.
Whilst I would agree I don't like the Picard show I haven't and wouldn't call someone else out for their enjoyment of it, we like what we like.
I love Voyager and Enterprise (as well as TNG, DS9 and TOS), but those are two shows some would consider weaker entries in the franchise. That's fine with me, their dislike has zero impact on my enjoyment of those series.

Fair point.
It's all just opinion, good or bad it can all lead to discussion.
It would be interesting to hear why people are enjoying it and I don't mean that in a critical way.
If the fans who are enjoying the show chime in more then maybe the thread wouldn't be perceived so much as a negative one, even though I can see why that would be a valid observation.
As long as the discussion is limited to the show and not personal then we are all just sharing opinions.
Whilst I would agree I don't like the Picard show I haven't and wouldn't call someone else out for their enjoyment of it, we like what we like.
I love Voyager and Enterprise (as well as TNG, DS9 and TOS), but those are two shows some would consider weaker entries in the franchise. That's fine with me, their dislike has zero impact on my enjoyment of those series.

All of the shows have had elements that I like and dislike. With Enterprise, for example, I got really irritated with the Xindi storyline, but I absolutely loved any episode where Shran and his Andorians showed up.

I like Picard for many of the same reasons I like DS9. Its showing the fault lines where the Federation bumps up against other cultures. I get that Roddenberry wanted to show this perfect future, but how can the future be perfect when humanity itself is inherently flawed? Individual people are frequently great, but when you get great groups of them together into groups, the flaws tend to magnify. How can you have an organization that spans not only quadrillions of individuals, but hundreds of different cultures and species and have everything work perfectly? You can't. And as much as I enjoy TOS's vision of the future, shows like DS9 appeal to me more because it shows that in spite of our differences, we CAN get along, and even if it's a struggle at times, it's worth the effort.

That's what I see Picard doing, but extending it to artificial life as well as organic.

I really hate the Discovery-ness of it. I think I've already posted my low opinion about the degradation of the optimistic ideals of the Federation and Star Trek as a whole.
But Picard isn't nearly the flaming bag of poodoo that Discovery has been.
It certainly has its issues, and I agree with many of the ones mentioned here.
And is the body count really narratively or thematically necessary? With all its problems, there was something to be said for meeting Standards and Practices.

But... it hasn't sent me running away screaming yet. Cringing on occasion, but I'm still here.

Picard's speech in the latest episode about how the Federation/Starfleet failed itself was spot on, even if subtextually it's a condemnation of the premise of the show itself. I appreciate that they at least acknowledge the ideals that they don't seem to be able to write a story about. I'm enjoying Stewart's performance and his character has remained intact.

And I'm liking the Ready Room show. It's interesting to see the kinds of questions a Trek actor has for other Trek actors. You don't usually get such...actor-y?... discussion on shows like this. It isn't all fluff (and is much more substantive than, say, Talking Dead).

Are there any props from this show worth talking about? If so, I think they were a very tiny part of the overall budget. Elenor's sword and some Romulan blasters? Maybe they borrowed some props from STD.

I'm really enjoying it still. It weaves elements of previous shows into the narrative and plays with putting old characters into situations we'd never have gotten to see. Also, this show really gives me the nerd feels. Like a lot of people my age, these characters feel like people I know and it's really nice to see them back and having lives again.

Are there any props from this show worth talking about? If so, I think they were a very tiny part of the overall budget. Elenor's sword and some Romulan blasters? Maybe they borrowed some props from STD.

Nope. Gone are the days when some would use a Tricorder or scanner to investigate now it's just blasters and blades.

Nope. Gone are the days when some would use a Tricorder or scanner to investigate now it's just blasters and blades.

No props of holograms? ;)

The few small things they have had have been so boringly generic. There's nothing I want from it yet. That could change for season 2 hopefully.

Well, I wouldn't mind Riker's wood fired pizza oven! Or home in the woods away from people. Or a bottle of Rios' bourbon. I love booze.

On a different note, does anyone think that someone will try to use Cristobal to see into the future?

:D

How about the brilliantly designed replicator which, oh wait, nevermind. It's just a 3D printer they've re-purposed:
4zvi58ibf1e41.png

*insert Picard facepalm here*

Yes, I really do wonder why *some* people, have a problem with shows like this.

There's a difference between having organic systemry included in his build, that external factors can take advantage of, and having a mind telepaths can work with. Precedent was that he didn't. Tam Elbrun couldn't sense him at all, and wanted him along to explore Gomtuu, because it was actually quiet with Data around. When he got the emotion chip (which looked like three different things each of the three times it appeared onscreen), Troi sensed an emotional presence beginning to emerge from him, but I personally don't feel that was the dividing line between being being unable and able to be telepathically "read" -- just sensed.

Up and coming superheroes gotta have powers. Just like every superhero tv show, we got to see the main character get her super-duper powers revealed in doses. She's going to get a LOT more powerful. Because that's what Star Trek is. An exploration of the super human condition.

And what does every super hero story need? A super bad guy to try to bring them down.

And don't forget, some super cataclysmic device for everyone in the universe to fight over.

Because we can't have a season that isn't one big massive mystery.

I think that's why stand alone episodes work better for Star Trek, with min arcs for larger stories. Drag **** out and it just turns into long boring monologues and nothing filler episodes (which become filler because if there's only 10 episodes to tell a story, why drag it the **** out? Oh, because it doesn't work!). I don't have the patience for wait and see and wait and see, or here's someone's back story over and over and over.

Just tell a ******* fun story and more along. These are the voyages. These are their adventures. These are the fun things that happened.

I don't need scenes of silence showing someone in a dark room, the camera zooming in to show a glass of whiskey being poured, the camera bobbing a little, zoom out, zoom back in as character drinks. More dark brooding in a dark room with weird contrasting light coming in from a window we can't see out of (because it's always filled with light). Zoom into to the record player now. We now show how much the character likes older things. The character is eclectic. More brooding. Just a little more. Zoom into to the character drinking. Closer. Closer! That's it! What's the character looking at? A picture... Don't show the viewer what they're looking at. We'll leave THAT mystery for later.

Phew, 5 minutes killed in this episode, but we showed the character's ongoing pain. I'm a director!

Last edited:
I still don't see how this season is going to be resolved in one 45 minute episode and I'm going to be really ticked off if they carry it over into another season as I really hate season long, or longer, story arcs. Whatever happened to stand alone stories or at the most a 2 or 3 part arc?

Whatever happened to stand alone stories or at the most a 2 or 3 part arc?
I think those days are long gone now.
IMO the producers like the season (or longer) story arcs because a viewer needs to watch a whole season from beginning to end just to get the story which results in steady ratings. You can't just pop in and watch a mid season episode cold- nothing would make sense.

Last edited:
I think those days are long gone now.
IMO the producers like the season (or longer) story arcs because a viewer needs to watch a whole season from beginning to end just to get the story which results in stead ratings. You can't just pop in and watch a mid season episode cold- nothing would make sense.

The problem with that is even if you follow a show for the whole season they sometimes don't make any sense.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back