Star Trek: Picard

I think that is the thing that bugs me the most. This half way reboot junk. Either make it fit with the Prime Timeline, or make it different. I'd totally be on board to watch a slightly different kind of Star Trek, that is it's own thing. I mean Discovery isn't good, but I didn't hate it. And I actually would like to see more of Anson Mount's Captain Pike. But stop telling me that this this is TOS era Prime Timeline.
latest?cb=20180119203156&path-prefix=en.jpg

Because it isn't. It looks nothing like it. But that's the really bad part, it's not a bad design, it just doesn't fit. And to add insult to injury, STO does a better job at making new ships that fit.

5c1efe3a55f443d63f846a043f8814ae1466631848_656x369.jpg

I don’t see anyone mention that in episode 2, before being cussed out , Picard looks up and sees a hologram of the DISCO Enterprise! Then it changed to the D

So my question is. If they didn’t change the D. Why did they change the 1701?

I don’t see anyone mention that in episode 2, before being cussed out , Picard looks up and sees a hologram of the DISCO Enterprise! Then it changed to the D

So my question is. If they didn’t change the D. Why did they change the 1701?

My guess is, they bit the bullet on the D (from a licensing standpoint) since they already showed it in the premier episode.

The ship design work in New Trek doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the horrible writing and characters. As a matter of fact, I can’t get past these fundamental issues to even begin to dive into the design work. That’s all just window dressing to me.

Last edited:
Wow is all I have to say folks. This is turning into the great Star Wars debate that everything was trash after the original trilogy with fans upset over every change. May I remind everyone that even Gene had creativity problems back in the day and was the most knowledgeable about the series as the creator between him and the studios. Stand outs like Rogue one were not trash IMHO.

The reason we have the differences in cannon and for example the kelvin time line is due to licensing issues between CBS and Paramount. So it had to go another direction and be different based on licensing. That what brought us the JJ. model. It wasn’t throwing anything in fans face it was a business decision. There is a great YouTube video on this.

I am simply happy Trek is back on the screen. I dont get offended by smoking in this time line as some people never follow the norm and thats really human nature. As for cursing I guess we all forgot at the colorful metaphors in Star Trek IV or evening Data’s curse when the Enterprise D saucer section was about to crash Lol. I will keep watching. However I fully realize everybody has their own opinions and I am ok with that. I am just surprised by the response on the RPF. Go Boldly. GC

Last edited:
I take it you have not been to many Trek Cons.

As someone who worked them from 1975 to 2001 I can tell you that the Star Wars fans arguments are NOTHING compared to the Trek fans.

I have heard arguments and discussions that’s range from whether Kirk was better than Picard, to whether or not Mr. Spocks penis was pointy

Go boldly indeed.......

Wow is all I have to say folks. This is turning into the great Star Wars debate that everything was trash after the original trilogy with fans upset over every change. May I remind everyone that even Gene had creativity problems back in the day and was the most knowledgeable about the series as the creator between him and the studios. Stand outs like Rogue one were not trash IMHO.

The reason we have the differences in cannon and for example the kelvin time line is due to licensing issues between CBS and Paramount. So it had to go another direction and be different based on licensing. That what brought us the JJ. model. It wasn’t throwing anything in fans face it was a business decision. There is a great YouTube video on this.

I am simply happy Trek is back on the screen. I dont get offended by smoking in this time line as some people never follow the norm and thats really human nature. As for cursing I guess we all forgot at the colorful metaphors in Star Trek IV or evening Data’s curse when the Enterprise D saucer section was about to crash Lol. I will keep watching. However I fully realize everybody has their own opinions and I am ok with that. I am just surprised by the response on the RPF. Go Boldly. GC

Last edited:
I know some have said that this isn't Trek because it's not the Utopia that was established in the previous iterations of the franchise. I found it interesting that while rewatching the pilot episode of ENTERPRISE over the weekend, when Archer, Trip, & T'Pol are having dinner, they're bragging to her that in less than 2 generations, humans have eliminated poverty, hunger, war, etc. Her response is that it's only temporary. Humans are destined to return to their basest of instincts.

If anything, I think this could present some great storytelling opportunities, because it shows mankind's constant struggle with human nature. ST has kinda presented mankind as enlightened past their humanity, but history has shown that societal norms don't change man's heart... Murder isn't accepted, but man still kills. Alcohol was illegal during prohibition, but the bootleggers became almost heroes. Racism didn't stop with the abolishment of slavery.

I'm not a huge fan of the barely veiled politics that prevail in a lot of today's entertainment, but if the show is going to show how humanity resets itself to the ST Utopia that it started with, I'd be interested in seeing that.

I have some issues with DSC, but overall I can enjoy it. Picard ist solid for me so far. Had way more issues with everything Trek from TNG to VOY. I said before that I dislike huge parts of ST canon, because lots of it came from bad writing, Aliens of the week and low budget.

I've been on the critical side of Trek since 2009, but I'm liking Picard so far. It's a little weird to be on the other side of the fence after all this time.

Picard ist solid for me so far. Had way more issues with everything Trek from TNG to VOY. I said before that I dislike huge parts of ST canon, because lots of it came from bad writing, Aliens of the week and low budget.
Spoken like a true Star Trek fan. Lol. It's so good I can't wait for season 2. Bad writing prior to any 2009 Star Trek huh? This is funny.

I remember the 1st Season of Next gen when everyone was yelling and it was just generally off and it took things to gel for a while as the crew was all new. Folks panned Star Trek the motion picture however from my view I was just happy ANY Star Trek was on at least the big screen past 1969. Without TMP there would have been no Wrath of Kahn, generally accepted the best of the Star Trek Original crew Series.

Its too early to make the call IMHO

That's not a guarantee, despite what they say.

CBS would look foolish if they withdrew the 2nd season announcement now.
It's similar to how nobody or at the very least a tiny minority is desperate to see a Section 31 TV show but apparently it is still going ahead.
CBS/Secret Hideout seem to be ploughing ahead with a lot of their new Trek despite still not being able to satisfy the quality demands of both Discovery and now Picard.
Discovery heading into season 3 is on its 3rd concept reboot, although given it was apparently quite aimless to start you could argue it is only on its 2nd concept reboot.

Remember when Kurtzman said they weren't going to have the Enterprise in Disco and now that is the one aspect of the show that its viewers could agree worked.

I've given up caring about the JJ/Kurtzman era of Trek.
The new Disney+ MCU shows look exciting and I am more eager to watch those than any Star Trek since JJ took over.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back