Star Trek: Picard

I just rewatched the Voyager two part episode "Unimatrix Zero". I don't think the Star Trek Picard producers have seen it as they would have possibly thought to include Axom, Seven's lover from her time in Unimatrix Zero into her story since Voyager ended.
Axom was on a Borg Cube in a remote section of the Beta QUadrant at the time of the episode. Assuming his cube remained in that sector and he was liberated from the collective surely with Seven being in the Beta Quadrant too, as of the time of the Picard series, surely they would have at least met up.
Oh yeah, the producers and writers only want to tell stories about really damaged people, nobody is allowed happiness in this series.
My mistake!
Michael Chabon is right, we "toxic fans" just need to stop questioning his amazing series because it is a work of genius and immune to scrutiny.

They changed Seven's sexual orientation!
And for the JJ films, they changed Sulu's sexual orientation as well, against the wishes of George Takei!

They don't give a flying rats behind about anything that came before.
"Is something established?
Meh, we can change it."

It's obvious they haven't watched/don't care about what came before beyond the most superficial of trappings. As I mentioned before, I feel like Icheb's bestie, Q Junior, would come a-runnin' to stop his friend being vivisected. Never mind all the problems with Data.

Speaking of damaged people, though. I don't subscribe to the hyperbole about "ZOMG murderer!", but something about that guy has been niggling... How much have we seen, from TOS up through the end of the DS9/VOY period, of a commanding officer giving an illegal/unethical order, a subordinate refusing that order, and the consequences? His Captain ordered him to kill without just cause, he didn't want to, did, and was so messed up about it he quit Starfleet. We've seen some bad Captains -- and that's something that bugs me in itself. Subtle cases like Ben Maxwell make for good story, and you can see why his crew went along with it. Rudy Ransom is more problematic, but at least there's the melodrama of them having "had to" kill the crew who objected, and most of the survivors were seriously tormented by what they were doing. But outside of those two examples? TOS showed a better screening process. R.M. Merrick washed out and look what he did to his non-Starfleet crew from his non-Starfleet ship in "Bread and Circuses".

Archer did some very questionable stuff in S3.

They changed Seven's sexual orientation!
And for the JJ films, they changed Sulu's sexual orientation as well, against the wishes of George Takei!

They don't give a flying rats behind about anything that came before.
"Is something established?
Meh, we can change it."

Archer did some very questionable stuff in S3.

I just spent the past 2 weeks re-watching ST:E, and while he did some desperate things, he crossed some ethical boundaries. But that was part of the point of the show. To show the growth from reacting emotionally and engaging in revenge, to be able to put aside hate and prejudice in the end. That struggle from the ****** kind of people we are to something better.

Not a threat from Starfleet Security that if you don't murder 2 diplomats in cold blood, we'll destroy your ship and crew type of nonsense. That was just the most horrible writing to help show synth motive, and show us how incredibly broken yet another person on Picard is.

Enterprise was also pre-Federation. We just got the first warp 5 starship. Star Trek is about leveled up humanity and
given Enterprise was a prequel, can we cut Archer some slack? After all, he got us there.........

2161-federation-thesearethevoyages.jpg

I made it about 1/2 through Mr. Plinkett's review, but I just don't give a hoot enough about Pikard, to listen to the whole thing.
Agreed, after the Critical Drinker and The Dave Cullen Show and to some extent RMB's reviews of Pickhard, I'm sick of hearing about this terrible series. I want Star Trek to move on from the Kurtzman era as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Wow, CBS have absolutely no clue how much they've screwed themselves with their article about their own series, on their own site.
Star Trek under JJ, Kurtzman and Chabon is a dumpster fire that somebody peed on then set fire to again.
So sad that a once great franchise that used to be about a cohesive, unified look at a better future for humanity has become what it is, thanks to horrific mis-management and atrocious writing.
It is so sad.
RIP Star Trek.

I seem to recall hearing and reading that Gene Roddenberry contributed to the writing and production the the original series in a large way. I'm not sure how much of the writing Kurtzman contributed to the new series.

Last edited:
Star Trek and Star Wars are both in bad shape. The funny thing is, I was never a big fan of Star Trek 3 just because of what happens to the Enterprise. And I think the different actress for a main character was a bit bothersome back when I saw it originally. The new actress is fine though. But I watched it in HD for the first time, last time I watched it was on VHS. And the movie is pretty good. Rough in some areas with the sets and makeup. But it's Star Trek. Has fun moments. It has Star Trek style silly fights. The ships look big and so does the universe. And it has a good villain. Which people always say a great movie needs a great villain.

Star Trek and Star Wars are both in bad shape. The funny thing is, I was never a big fan of Star Trek 3 just because of what happens to the Enterprise. And I think the different actress for a main character was a bit bothersome back when I saw it originally. The new actress is fine though. But I watched it in HD for the first time, last time I watched it was on VHS. And the movie is pretty good. Rough in some areas with the sets and makeup. But it's Star Trek. Has fun moments. It has Star Trek style silly fights. The ships look big and so does the universe. And it has a good villain. Which people always say a great movie needs a great villain.

I've been watching Trek since I was a wee lad in the late 70's and even remember the first episode that got me hooked. Watching The Domesday Machine in my grandparent's room on their tiny black and white TV. And loved the Enterprise and refit ever since. And to this day, I still get mad when I see Kirk blow up that ship because of a few Klingons.

I could never forgive Kirk for the death of the Enterprise.

I've been watching Trek since I was a wee lad in the late 70's and even remember the first episode that got me hooked. Watching The Domesday Machine in my grandparent's room on their tiny black and white TV. And loved the Enterprise and refit ever since. And to this day, I still get mad when I see Kirk blow up that ship because of a few Klingons.

I could never forgive Kirk for the death of the Enterprise.

If your going to blame anyone for the death of the Enterprise it should be Star Fleet Command since they had already deemed it too far damaged after what happened in The Wrath of Khan and were going to de-commission it. I think it going out in a blaze of glory was a much better tribute to a great ship then being broken up like they have done, or are going to do, with the nuclear powered USS Enterprise.

If your going to blame anyone for the death of the Enterprise it should be Star Fleet Command since they had already deemed it too far damaged after what happened in The Wrath of Khan and were going to de-commission it. I think it going out in a blaze of glory was a much better tribute to a great ship then being broken up like they have done, or are going to do, with the nuclear powered USS Enterprise.

Going out in a blaze of glory? I think you miss the point of Star Trek. The Enterprise would have been put on display at the Starfleet museum pending her decommissioning. And besides: "My God Bones, what have I done?" sums up how Kirk felt about it despite being assured it was what he had to do.

And my joke about not forgiving Kirk, through my paraphrasing his statement about Klingons for the death of his son in TUC.

..."My God Bones, what have I done?" sums up how Kirk felt about it despite being assured it was what he had to do.

To think, that one line, almost 40 years after it was uttered, sums up more depth, emotion, meaning and impact... more understanding from the scriptwriters about what Trek is and why, than the entirety of JJTrek, STP and STD combined.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back