Star Trek: Picard

Spoken like a true Star Trek fan. Lol. It's so good I can't wait for season 2. Bad writing prior to any 2009 Star Trek huh? This is funny.

I'm not a big ST fan. Never was. Liked TOS and a couple of movies. All 24th century stuff had it's great episodes but overall I remember more episodes that I wouldn't really rate as "good".

It's all a matter of taste. I like ST VI more than any other ST movie. Even heard people complaining about this one. And I never liked anything with Q involved.

Just saw Episode 4. Groan. Picard's mannerism is so unlike the Picard we knew from TNG through Nemesis. This is especially jarring when the events in the pre title sequence took place just 6 years after Nemesis. It's as if Patrick Stewart is playing him more like Professor X than Picard.

And the preview for next week's episode is reminding me of Canto Bight, and that's not a good thing.

Just saw Episode 4. Groan. Picard's mannerism is so unlike the Picard we knew from TNG through Nemesis. This is especially jarring when the events in the pre title sequence took place just 6 years after Nemesis. It's as if Patrick Stewart is playing him more like Professor X than Picard.

And the preview for next week's episode is reminding me of Canto Bight, and that's not a good thing.

I've stopped watching it, episodes 1 to 3 were a struggle, they are just a reminder of how great Star Trek was.
Even Seven, Troi and Riker can't persuade me to keep going.
I'm done with Bad Robot/Secret Hideout Fantasy Trek-Wars.

Last edited:
I know some have said that this isn't Trek because it's not the Utopia that was established in the previous iterations of the franchise. I found it interesting that while rewatching the pilot episode of ENTERPRISE over the weekend, when Archer, Trip, & T'Pol are having dinner, they're bragging to her that in less than 2 generations, humans have eliminated poverty, hunger, war, etc. Her response is that it's only temporary. Humans are destined to return to their basest of instincts.

If anything, I think this could present some great storytelling opportunities, because it shows mankind's constant struggle with human nature. ST has kinda presented mankind as enlightened past their humanity, but history has shown that societal norms don't change man's heart... Murder isn't accepted, but man still kills. Alcohol was illegal during prohibition, but the bootleggers became almost heroes. Racism didn't stop with the abolishment of slavery.

I'm not a huge fan of the barely veiled politics that prevail in a lot of today's entertainment, but if the show is going to show how humanity resets itself to the ST Utopia that it started with, I'd be interested in seeing that.
I an get behind that. One of the things that made me ache in the Lord of the Rings movies was seeing the ruins of the high Númenórean civilization that was in Middle-Earth before, but is now gone. I wanted to see things as they were before it all fell apart. There's a certain appeal of coming in "after" and piecing together what happened -- even if it can never be recovered.

I did a Star Trek RPG campaign way back in the day, where Something Happened™ to subspace and FTL travel and communication were impossible for a couple hundred years. The characters' grandparents or great-grandparents were a starship crew in an old Miranda who were surveying some out-of-the-way system when it happened. The computers didn't work right, ship-to-shore comms were borked. They ultimately put the ship to sleep and took their shuttles down to the planet and homesteaded. The instigating incident in the game was when they were going about their routine when a piece of equipment no one had paid any attention to in forever suddenly came live as the subspace interference was beginning to sufficiently clear.

They reactivated the ship and started cautiously making their way back toward their ancestral home-stars to try to find out what happened. They stumbled on abandoned starbasees, derilict ships trapped in intersteller space, and gradually started piecing together clues and finding more and more in the way of surviving civilization. It was fun and everyone was digging the story.

But there's no real instigating incident for Picard. As of the last time we saw anyone in the original timeline, the Federation, Starfleet, and Humanity were reeling from the Dominion War, but had all largely held onto their values. The premise that the Federation in general and Humanity in particular would take a "let 'em die" attitude about the Romulans is far more unbelievable in that setting than Kirk's similar attitude about Klingons after more than six decades of hot and cold war and them killing his son -- and even then Starfleet's caution wasn't reflected in the general attitude of the Federation. I want to have even a hint of justification for such an ugly and uncharacteristic fall from grace before I can get into a potential "resurrection" arc.

O boy, even frakes cannot paint a masterpiece from behind the camera with this, i wasnt expecting masterpiece, maybe some vain hope for slightly good,
i can only imagine frakes being told what to do and cringing after every other take, this should of been something epic, but it still is not.
Im sorry "JL", but this is not how i want to remember you,
and as well as a lack of decent acting and writing, im quite sad of not seeing waves of nice props coming about, i was so hoping to build something cool, A nice lcars padd at least, or a model of some epic\amazing starfleet vessel, or something like an isolinear chip, or something,
but noo, we have stupid holodisplays, and whatever theyare on now,
even tho i hate this, i kinda still have that guilty pleasure of maybe seeing the enterprise, or maybe a sad curiosity to see what theyve done to it,

OK, forget every criticism I have lobbed at Star Trek: Picard...I could not be more pleased with what I saw in Episode 4.

A Romulan sect, called the (I can’t remember the precise name...Tash Malash, maybe?), who believe only in “absolute candor” and only fighting for lost causes reminds me of the “Contrary Warrior Indians” from Little Big Man who wash themselves in dirt and dry off in the water.

And the Legolas Romulan (“Legulan”) bringing his bladed weapon into what will most likely be a Phaser fight? Revolutionary. What others call a LOTR rip-off character I call a loving fantasy homage that is perfectly at home in the magical realm of the Star Trek universe where fantastical magical devices can replay images and sounds from the past for your viewing pleasure.

And—finally—a scene with two of my favorite characters “Slip Slidin’ Away” through the corridors of a Borg cube. My dreams have been fulfilled and my expectations met.

I’m ready for the next episode. ”Free-Cloud” looks a lot like Canto Bite! I know, that’s probably just wishful thinking on my part. Hopefully, we’ll hear more of the mandated “25% more F-Bombs per season” in the dialogue? I hope so.

Did someone order a 21st Century Spirit Halloween Store “Pimp Outfit”? I’m already laughing and I haven’t even seen the episode yet. This is just the right contemporary touch that Star Trek so badly needed. The costume designers continue to knock the cover off the ball with each episode, raising the bar higher and higher.

721495C7-0437-4A47-90BF-77BB9A7C4707.jpeg

78030541-FCBB-40DD-B4FD-4EE45583EDE5.jpeg

I could not be more excited. I believe in JL Picard! I believe! I believe!

Make it so Alex Kurtzman!

Last edited:
OK, forget every criticism I have lobbed at Star Trek: Picard...I could not be more pleased with what I saw in Episode 4.

A Romulan sect, called the (I can’t remember the precise name), who believe only in “absolute candor” and supporting lost causes reminds me of the “Contrary Indians” from Little Big Man that wash themselves in dirt and dry off in the water....pure genius.

And the Legolas Romulan bringing his bladed weapon into a Phaser fight? Revolutionary. What others call a LOTR rip-off character I call a loving fantasy homage that is perfectly at home in the magical realm of the Star Trek universe.

And—finally—a scene with two of my favorite characters “Slip Slidin’ Away” through the corridors of a Borg cube. My dreams have been fulfilled and my expectations met.

I’m ready for the next episode. ”Free Cloud” looks a lot like Canto Bite—or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Did someone order a 20th Century Spirit Halloween Store “Pimp Outfit”?

View attachment 1257217

I could not be more excited.

Make it so Alex Kurtzman! I believe in JL Picard! I believe; I believe!
Alley, your sarcasm kills me. Every time I see one of your posts like this, it takes me about half of the post before I realize you’re full of it, haha.

A bit off topic, but I don't think too many will mind. I just finished my redesign of the USS Shenzhou. Mind you I'm not a great artist, but I love to dabble.

2f807bcb-777e-4c8b-a6a4-b415b50e50ae.png

The only WAY to watch this trash is with tongue in cheek and a few friends who DO get Trek ready to hurl the jokes at it!
... or drink enough vodka until it makes some sense. I think most of us who frequent RPF can recognize good story writing when we see it. ST Next Gen got off to a rough start, so hopefully Picard will also become shipshape. A lot of us are counting on it.

Saw ep 4 last night. Damnit, but I want to like it because of Picard, but they make it SO, hard!

The tech is so lacking and so incredibly bland. The ships are so uninspirational. The only reason I want our hero ship to be more federation Starfleet like, is because we're getting NOTHING for ships here. And it's interior set just looks like a warehouse. Yes, I know it's a freighter of some sort, but show me a bridge and living area on any vessel that's a cavernous void of cheapness, and I'll buy into this ship. Incidentally, it's a ship I DON'T mind so much, if it were smaller, and it's shapes had some explanation. But we don't get stuff like that in new Star Trek.

******, they only have 10 episodes. 10! The comparisons to TNG in the first season or two is NOT realistic at all. They're not pumping out 26 episodes at 50 minutes each where you're bound to have some bad episodes. You only have 10 here, and we're stuck with long drawn only scenes with 2 incredibly uninteresting people working in a Let's never say their names, cube, ******* sliding up and down a hall. Funzies! 10 episodes to tell what is allegedly a comprehensive story and THIS is the best they can come up with? TNG had growing pains but as similar as they did things to TOS, the writing style, cinematography, special effects, everything, was new for the show. AND they weren't telling a single themed story. AND it was the mother ******* 1980's! Not exactly the golden age of TV.

And yes, it was neat seeing a variation of the old Romulan BOPs, but the entire scene was just so predictable and sloppy. Guess we better have a stupid fight scene so we can have someone save us. And here she is everyone!

And we're getting elves from LOTR fighting for Picard now? THAT'S what this has come down to for ideas and newness? Sheesh.

They clearly want us to have a mystery Star Trek show, like discovery. One big long drawn out a disjointed mystery. And half the season is apparently a character introduction episode.

I don't know. I'm struggling with it because I want to like it. It is better than Discovery, but barely. I mean, it practically is Discovery. There appears to be no technological or ethical difference between the two series allegedly set almost 150 years apart.

****, I hope the next episode is better. At least it's watchable for the most part, but if there's one more drawn out USELESS love scene between useless quasi Romulan one, and the Destroyer Thanos, I'm out.

I think that is the thing that bugs me the most. This half way reboot junk. Either make it fit with the Prime Timeline, or make it different. I'd totally be on board to watch a slightly different kind of Star Trek, that is it's own thing. I mean Discovery isn't good, but I didn't hate it. And I actually would like to see more of Anson Mount's Captain Pike. But stop telling me that this this is TOS era Prime Timeline.
View attachment 1255449

Because it isn't. It looks nothing like it. But that's the really bad part, it's not a bad design, it just doesn't fit. And to add insult to injury, STO does a better job at making new ships that fit.

View attachment 1255450
Prime has nothing to do with TOS

The poorly written scripts I have seen, so far, are almost Discovery-level laughable in their stupidity and open hostility towards Star Trek as a concept. These are the tales told by idiots, full of sound and fury, and signifying nothing.

I can visualize the dialogue in the writer’s room...

We’ll have Picard beam down to the Romulan resettlement, back when he was still an Admiral and on-duty, but please, let’s not have him wear a Starfleet uniform...

Agreed, I hate uniforms since they are so ‘Star Trek’...

Well, and remember, Patrick says he he doesn’t want ‘space suits’, right?

I know!! Let’s have him wear a ‘Panama Jack’ outfit instead! That will bring in the audience and tell them ‘this ain’t your father’s Star Trek’!

Hurry, someone write that down!

‘Panama JL’!!!!! That is so awesome! High fives all around!”

27DB7632-F236-45DD-AE59-37E04E951CE0.jpeg

C06EBE8C-8455-4686-9567-56122843E210.jpeg

“But what will we call the new Romulan sect? Carl, get out the list of names we made up that rhym with ‘ash’...

Dash Milash?
Vash Kavash?
Taj Sosash?
Taj Milash?
Cat Vodash?

I don’t know, we can work that out later. Bring out the other list of names that rhyme with ‘at’ too.

Romulans are the ones with the bumpy foreheads, right?

No—those are the Klink-ons Ritchie...remember last week’s workshop when we worked that out?

What’s about the new Romulan warrior we decided on, last week?

Oh yeah, the intern is working on that. He hates ‘Star Trek’ but is a HUUUUUGE ‘Lord of the Rings’ fan.

More importantly, where are we going to put this week’s ‘F-Bomb’ in the script??? Anyone?”

Last edited:
Funny, as soon as I heard Koat Milat I started laughing. Sounds to close to the 'Larak Tarath' chant from Galaxy Quest. Maybe it's also a coincidence but isn't 'Kuat' a planet in the Star Wars extended universe?

Maybe it's also a coincidence but isn't 'Kuat' a planet in the Star Wars extended universe?

Yep....the Kuat shipyards, etc.

There is really no end to the number of other franchises the writers are pillaging ideas, characters, situations, and concepts from...

Battlestar Galactica
The Matrix
LOTR
WB teen dramas
Star Wars
Etc...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back