Star Trek: PICARD Tricorder - Modified Outer Shell - NO "Z Flip" phone needed

Doing a quick test of the graphic sizing, back lighting and hinge.
(printed on plain paper).
1666201854699.png

It looks amazing. Whish I'd gone with the flip phone at my last upgrade but ironically I like a chunky charging case and there weren’t any for it.

I am doing a test fit of the dual backlit screen (upper and lower) and Custom Handscanner for just this purpose.
The upper portion was modified to hold the scanner and was changed from the original lighted translucent "scanner array".
I also dabbled with keeping the lighted array and having 12 LEDs cycling back and forth.
Does anyone have a video showing the Scanner "scanning" on the show or know which episode it was shown in scanning?
Thanks

Attachments

• picard tricorder mock up 2.jpg
    picard tricorder mock up 2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 120
When I first started this project, I was going to use the front LED scanning array, but instead opted to change it by going with a small custom removable hand scanner.
The video shows what the scanner array and led/ARDUINO circuit would have looked like.
This is simply a mock up however..
I am using amber LED's instead of white since I didn't have any 3mm white.

I cleaned up the wiring of the mockup circuit I did earlier and changed the scanning program.
Here is the result.
Since I modified the PICARD Tricorder to use a HAND SCANNER instead of the front LED scanning array,
I probably won't be using this.
I just wanted to make it available in case I do decide to print another Tricorder - top outer shell which accepts it.
This 12 Amber LED & scanning circuit 3D Printed PLA filament module turned out really "clean" and well laid out.

You're so clever. The pulsing scanner light looks really good. Seems a shame not to use it - couldn't you just build an extra case for the top half of the phone and make it interchangeable with the hand scanner variant?

I'd be interested in your opinion on a build of mine actually. It wasn't supposed to be a tricorder as such... it just sort of became one.

Last edited:
Well, I made the decision to print another upper "scanning portion" of the PICARD Tricorder to accept the electronics scanning module I made earlier.
This has a back lit panel in both halves to light the screen when opened.

1669501705132.png

Added white LEDs to my newest rendition (representation) of my (non phone) PICARD Tricorder.
The LED electronics "indicator" module is removable, reprogrammable and rechargeable.
It will slide in over the top of the separate electronics for the scanning unit detector head which faces forward.

I am more into this thread than I was into Enterprise but some would argue that isn't saying a lot.

Still looking fantastic but I think at this point you'd have to jump up and down on it for it to start going badly lol.

This post and video is more about my perspective and experiences in prop making then of other prop makers, so there may be
differences of opinions.......
I am no expert, just doing "the best I can with what I have." :)

Last edited:
This is another recent video showing the PICARD Tricorder in a mocked up state to show the functionality of the electronics and auto start LED scanner. No side activated momentary N/O push button needed....
It does not use a phone and the OEL screen to produce the back lit graphic you see here.
Function would be added in post production using CGI as it always is and the actors motions.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back