Star Trek Phaser Rifle Project

Viper Aviator

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for awhile and have learned a lot of techniques from the people on here, who are truly masters of scratchbuilding, fabrication, and modification.

I now feel confident enough to start my first 1:1 prop replica build. I'm starting with a never screen seen Star Trek Phaser Rifle that was designed for ST:TMP and ST:TWOK but was never used. I am going to be using the DST ST:TMP Phaser Pistol as the starting point and move on from there.

I will post updates as they become available, but for now, here are the blueprints for the rifle that I found at Welcome to Cygnus-X1.Net

weapons-3-1.jpg

Cool concept.
Wil you scratchbuild it from styrene or vacuum form over a wooden plug?
Good luck with the build whichever route you take.
Jamie

Hey, that's cool! I'm glad someone is tackling this concept. I have this in my copy of Starlog photo guidebook -Science Fiction Weapons, which is hiding in my house somewhere.

I'm not so sure it was actually designed for ST:TMP or WOK though, but it is a very interesting concept.

I remember back in the '80's when I first saw this I thought it was kinda cool. But when you look at for awhile you see the discontinuity in styles between the pistol and buttstock. Best example is the styling of the keys on the pistol vs the very square keys on the back end.

@ St. louiskid:

Yeah, I see what you mean, the whole back end should have been designed thinner, rounder, and smoother. Perhaps he will modify the design before he builds it. Worth a
try.

Cool concept.
Wil you scratchbuild it from styrene or vacuum form over a wooden plug?
Good luck with the build whichever route you take.
Jamie

I'm actually thinking about making the stock from styrene and the top portion containing the the beam emitters, targeting sensors and sights from hollow vacuum formed plastic to allow for laser diodes to be placed as the beam emitters and ultra bright LEDs to be used in place of the targeting sensors. With clear plastic or Lexan for the "pop-up" sight. I also intend to replace the lights in the DST Phaser pistol emitter with laser diodes as well.

As for the power packs and the and the stock padding, I'm still on the fence about how I'm going to proceed with them. I was thinking that for the side power packs, I would was them as battery covers for the electronics, laser diodes and LEDs. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

@ St. Louiskid and exetor999:

I do plan on modifying the rear controls and the "pop-up" sight to make it flow more with the controls on the DST Phaser pistol. I was actually thinking of using a second DST Phaser pistol for the buttons for the rifle controls and just relabeling them as they appear on the blueprints.

Thank you all for your encouragement on this project, It is really much appreciated.

Exciting project..I'll enjoy following your progress.

As my favorite phaser was the Trek III pistol, I think it'd be cool to see someone come up with a rifle design using that particular phaser as the foundation.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back