"Star Trek Phase II/New Voyages" gets C&D over Spinrad script

"don't awake the sleeping dragon that is Trek fandom"... LOL!!! Funniest quote of the day!!

Because obviously Trekkies have such pull to explain the myriad of Star Trek shows currently on TV> Oh wait, no. Reality check. Hello.

Sorry but the Cawley group has lost their way. Unlikely I would watch anymore of their stuff anyway. Blood And Fire sucked.

And there may still be a "sleeping dragon", but the dragon is old and fat and they've built a mote around Paramount.

I agree with Mic. The Trek fandom doesn't have the strength it used to anymore that and Paramount just doesn't care about the fans anymore. Tends to happen over the years as the people running things retire and new people take over.

I agree with Mic. The Trek fandom doesn't have the strength it used to anymore that and Paramount just doesn't care about the fans anymore. Tends to happen over the years as the people running things retire and new people take over.

I agree. I mean, I grew up watching the original series, the movies, TNG and I tried Voyager for a while (until UPN decided to switch from the big satellite to the smaller ones). The fact that they allowed Abrams to make his abomination (and the upcoming sequel to his abomination), as well as the poor quality of the shows have become with each version done after TNG, only shows that Star Trek has become weakened by Paramount watering down their prize franchise. It'd be like McDonalds taking their Big Mac, and then after every two years, making changes to it, such as removing items like the "secret sauce", lettuce and pickles, replacing the sesame seed bun with two pieces of white bread and then making the meat of the pad too big that you can't even bite into it.

And if Paramount isn't going to do another show and at least attempt to make it a good one, then why intervene on a fan-made production, especially when the fans making it have the sense to do the show justice a lot more than Paramount and CBS ever would?

Well, I don't really have a problem with how Trek has been handled at all. Sure there have been some forehead slappers along the way.

It's an impossible task from the get go. To get the reasonable amount of consistant quality we have gotten, over the amount of time that has passed, is practically a miracle.

My thanks to anyone who has ever worked on any of the shows or movies.

"don't awake the sleeping dragon that is Trek fandom"... LOL!!! Funniest quote of the day!!

Because obviously Trekkies have such pull to explain the myriad of Star Trek shows currently on TV> Oh wait, no. Reality check. Hello.
I have to agree, ST for the most part is a dead franchise. If it was still viable Abrams STNO would have done much better and his next ST STINO would have been out already. Nor would Enterprise have been cancelled.

CBS is trying to kill off the final shoots of true Star Trek. New Voyages was the only Trek I could bear to watch after JJTrek.

Never cared for the Cawley stuff, it just tries too hard to be something it isn't.

Still though, if a script is sitting around that will never be used why not let them?

Still though, if a script is sitting around that will never be used why not let them?
Letting them use it gets into some legal issues.

But then trying to recreate the original Trek(without having permission) is going to get you into some serious legal issues. The only thing that saved these fanboy films is the property owners could care less.

Why they are cracking down now is anybodies guess, but the other guys doing this stuff should be very concerned.

It kind of reminds me of what happened to ST props back in the nineties.

Okay, first, there seems to be some confusion here.

Star Trek television is now controlled by CBS.
Star Trek movies are under the control of Paramount.

CBS has only asked that they do not produce the script. They have not stopped Cawley's fan Trek.

As to how much CBS and Paramount care about the fans... they never really have. There are individuals within the organizations that have cared about the fans and regarded Trek very highly, but as a whole, Star Trek's purpose has always been to make money for them.

Don't forget the days when Paramount began raiding conventions and removing any unlicensed merchandise. Or when Viacom had stepped in and closed every fan site, stating that they could not use any Star Trek image or symbols.

I don't personally see Star Trek as dead. In recent years we've actually seen a bit of a surge in popularity. More and more licensed merchandise is released each year. We've had TOS remastered for Bluray and soon TNG.

Now as far as actually producing new TV shows... who knows what the future will bring. I'm sure it'll be back. Now whether or not it'll be good, remains to be seen.

what darthgordon said.

How can anyone say trek is dead when the last movie made SOOOO much money, and they're making another one?

While many fans may not like the way the franchise is being handled, it's certainly not dead. if anything, it's more popular then ever. Just not popular among the people who have liked it since the sixties. Sorry!

Most of the old fans like me, that I know, are just fine with JJTrek. Don't know who is taking a poll though. Just more unsubstantiated RPFacts, I guess.

It's like everything else in entertainment, the franchise has changed to meet the needs of the new fans. It's that way in the game industry and just look at what passes for rock music these days. The new take on trek could very well get better as time goes on, the first movie in a franchise isn't always the best.

Last edited:
Very easily.

The franchise has been played out but what do you expect from a concept that has been exploited for over 45 years.

Will it ever truely die?, only time will tell but you have to admit that the franchise is almost going back to one of it's "hibernation" stages.

I remember the 90's with Movies, 2 series on, and doing a Trek con every weekend.

That is clearly not the case now.

How can anyone say trek is dead when the last movie made SOOOO much money, and they're making another one?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back