Star Trek Phase 2 hero phaser replica

-E-

Hey guys. I finished up a hero Phase 2 replica today. I actually finished the static phaser a while ago and added the electronics today. For those who may not know Phase 2 was going to be the re-birth of Star Trek in the 70's but was nixed and became The Motion Picture. This phaser was originally designed by Brad Nelson.

Pics and a YOUTUBE VIDEO:

Last edited:
I'm really surprised they changed so little of it. Sure, to us we see all the subtle differences but for the most part it's the same phaser.
How many times did the design change during the movies and during TNG?

I'm not sure why the design is so similar. You'd think with the re-launch of the franchise that they would have gone with something more streamlined. I guess if it ain't broke ...

Since 1978 there have been 10 or 11 hand phaser designs if I'm counting right (not counting rifles).

Nice work -E-, love it.

Brad Nelson made his phasers and sold them at conventions in the 70s/80s. Not accurate to the series prop but very well made. Gene Roddenberry really liked it, and bought one himself. When Phase 2 started, Gene asked Brad to make the phasers based on his model. When the P2 series became a feature film, the design was changed. Plus the studio gave Gene a lot of flak for going to a fan and not the studio prop department.

Nice work -E-, love it.

Brad Nelson made his phasers and sold them at conventions in the 70s/80s. Not accurate to the series prop but very well made. Gene Roddenberry really liked it, and bought one himself. When Phase 2 started, Gene asked Brad to make the phasers based on his model. When the P2 series became a feature film, the design was changed. Plus the studio gave Gene a lot of flak for going to a fan and not the studio prop department.

Wow, never knew that. That's a pretty neat story.

I made one last minute change. I wanted to be able to change between stun and kill so I rigged the nozzle to flip the switch if you give it a slight turn. YouTube video in post 1 has been updated to show the change.

I'm really surprised they changed so little of it. Sure, to us we see all the subtle differences but for the most part it's the same phaser.
How many times did the design change during the movies and during TNG?

I was thinking the same thing. It's interesting how much Phase 2 was going to look like TOS, while TMP barely resembled it.

Actually Brad Gave Gene one, he was'nt stupid.

DeForest Kelly also got a freebie.

Nice job on the Phaser!!

Brad Nelson made his phasers and sold them at conventions in the 70s/80s. Not accurate to the series prop but very well made. Gene Roddenberry really liked it, and bought one himself.

Oh yeah! I remember those w/ the pointy trigger! IIRC, they were made entirely out of metal, as I recall them to have quite a heft. Never knew they were tapped for use in Phase II. Very cool bit of trivia there.

Sweet BN build up!!!! Didn't the Phase II prototypes have the ribbed tape and shorter selector knob though :confused. That looks a bit more like a copy of one of Brads earlier Phaser replicas.

"they were made entirely out of metal"
Those metal ones were early recasts of the Brad Nelson Phasers (Nelsons were made of fiberglass)

The Phase 2's do have the stubbier knobs. I just haven't been able to find one yet.

It's one of Bruce's kits with metal parts by NicksDad.

Nice! :cool

Fell in love with the BN back in the day, saw one at a convention as a kid... couldn't afford the $75 or whatever it was. :lol

Got one in recent years but had to pay just a little more for it. :unsure

Here's De showing off his Brad Nelson on Tom Snyder's Tomorrow Show, in what, 1975? :)

dekelley_bnphaser02.jpg

dekelley_bnphaser01.jpg

Lots of threads about the history of phaser props, both here

http://www.therpf.com/f9/official-star-trek-phaser-thread-1918/

... and on Trekpropzone.com (a fine board that specializes in Trek). But basically you've got:

1) "Cage" laser used in the first pilot episode filmed in 1965

DSC00043.jpg

2) Cage laser with extra doodads on it, used in the second pilot and a couple of regular TOS episodes

wnmlaser.jpg

3) Original pistol-type Phasers that separate into hand phaser unit, body, and grip. These were introduced for the TV series starting in 1966 and were originally all black with a white grip. The several episodes into the series they were suddenly repainted in shades of gray and had aluminum accents. Presumably to show up better on people's crappy B&W TV screens of the time.

TOSphasers.jpg

And there are various versions of those pistol phasers (Heros that light up, crapazoids made of vacuform plastic, midgrades that are made of solid fiberglass, and rubber stunt versions for fight scenes). All with slightly different details.

4) AND then you get to the Brad Nelson, which was originally a fanmade replica sold at conventions. The BN is compelling though because of its superb build quality, light effects, and the slightly stylized appearance that it has. It's the "phaser of the mind's eye," the one you THOUGHT you saw on screen, and not a slavish copy of the actual props.

5) And then for TMP came the chunky pistol version that barely got any screen time... but it got a repaint and was featured prominently in

6) TrekII the Wrath of Khan

7) then there was the redesigned prop used in Trek III the Search for Spock

P1110066.jpg

8) the phaser got another big upgrade for Trek V The Final Frontier (aka "the one Shatner directed" :unsure)... this time it was based around a real gun, giving it some size and heft that makes it really striking

AssaultST61.jpg

This "Assault Phaser" (sometimes called "combat phaser") was reused in Trek VI The Undiscovered Country, where it gets some hero screentime.

9) and of course the pistol type phaser gets two iterations in the 2009 JJ Abrams "Star Trek"... first there's the steampunky pistol barely seen aboard the USS Kelvin in the opening scene

props101.jpg

10) and then that chromed swivel-nozzle monstrosity featured later in the film :unsure

trek09phaser.jpg

That's about it for "TOS-style" phasers.... of course starting in 1987 when Star Trek the Next Generation premiered, prop design went in a different direction,and we got weapons that looked non-threatening, more like tools... the infamous Dustbuster and Cricket phasers (the latter of which sort of resembles the p1 Hand Phaser unit of the original TOS prop)... later iterations of the Dustbuster are commonly known as the Cobrahead, Boomerang and Dolphin phasers. Those appeared in later seasons of TNG, and in Voyager and Deep Space Nine as well as the TNG movies.

And in "Star Trek Enterprise" we got the chunky Phase Pistol :) as well as a weapon called the EM-33, another pistol-type prop that looked very gun-like.

And don't get me started on the phaser rifles. :behave

K

Last edited:
Thanks again, guys!

Hey Phase Pistol, did the Kelvin phaser actually get screen time? I've never been able to find it myself. I think it's one of the funkiest looking phasers but for whatever reason I really like it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back