Star Trek PADDs

Cmdr.Kerner

Master Member
Hi guys,

I've been quite busy last weekend. Each 9" x 6" in size.

Dietrich

Attachments

• Scan-190326-0001.jpg
    Scan-190326-0001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
  • Scan-190326-0003.jpg
    Scan-190326-0003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
  • Scan-190326-0005.jpg
    Scan-190326-0005.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
Scan-190326-0001.jpg

I've always liked PADDs. Which series is this specific one from ? It's the one that I would want to duplicate.

How (physically) thin are PADDS supposed to be? (sorry.. not a huge ST fan.. but I have done a few PADD graphics before for members here)

I have always wonder and wanted to make a 'working' one (so to speak)..

I could do the whole thing in FLASH (or other HTML5/CSS/jQuery..etc) to make it functional....

Just not sure about the 'screen' portion of it all..

You can get some really small/thin HDMI screens/displays out there... but still need something like a RaspberryPi to make it all come together.. (which takes up space)

Perhaps a RPi Zero might work? (smaller, flater)

How (physically) thin are PADDS supposed to be? (sorry.. not a huge ST fan.. but I have done a few PADD graphics before for members here)

I could do the whole thing in FLASH (or other HTML5/CSS/jQuery..etc) to make it functional....

You can get some really small/thin HDMI screens/displays out there... but still need something like a RaspberryPi to make it all come together.. (which takes up space)

Rick Sternbach drew a PADD concept in 1987 for a 4"x6" unit with a thickness of 5/8". I don't know if that carried over to the series but eyeballing several props it looks about right.

Last edited:
BEST PADD USE THIS ONE !!!!.jpg

I found this variation. It's similar to one of yours but slightly different. I'm going to make this one into a working version of a PADD.

Rick

Rick Sternbach drew a PADD concept in 1987 for a 4"x6" unit with a thickness of 5/8". I don't know if that carried over to the series but eyeballing several props it looks about right.
if the ethernet port, USB ports and GPIO headers were remeaved.. you are looking at roughly 0.3x+ inches in thickness.

Not sure how thick (or thin) a screen can be found that uses the remaining room up... (hmm.. plus you got the acrylic thickness as well to account for..)

There are several other RPi variants out there as well.. (maybe they are bit smaller in thickness?)

I know the current Raspbian OS and Chromium support Adobe Flash player..

so you could run an 'app' on the screen in fullscreen/kiosk mode.. and it would respond to however you coded it to work..

I'd be willing to work with others if anyone is interested in going that route.

*I'm currently doing something similar for my IronMan HUD project.. (except its much more involved, as it have real-time feedback of video feed and external circuit updates to be displayed on the screen...etc)

These PADDs are 9 mm thick.

ouch... thats like the mod'd RPi thickness by itself.. (no screen or anything else!) LOL

Too bad you couldnt just frame a tablet of some kind.... the flash app could run on that (if not iOS I believe)

ouch... thats like the mod'd RPi thickness by itself.. (no screen or anything else!) LOL

Too bad you couldnt just frame a tablet of some kind.... the flash app could run on that (if not iOS I believe)

:lol: Aw. You gave away my secret. I ordered and received a tablet already. I'm going to make an "approximate" case to go around the tablet to make it look like this. And then I'll make the LCAR program. The dimensions won't be exact, but it'll look the part and be functional as an actual PADD.

:lol: Aw. You gave away my secret. I ordered and received a tablet already. I'm going to make an "approximate" case to go around the tablet to make it look like this. And then I'll make the LCAR program. The dimensions won't be exact, but it'll look the part and be functional as an actual PADD.

I look forward to seeing how that comes out.

Not too familiar with the LCAR app..

(nor your skill set in those areas) :)

but if you want to a Flash version.. and or HTML/CSS/jQuery version... to do custom things..... let me know!

We can work something out that will be cool!

* also have a laser cutter if you want to try and cut some acrylic out..

Last edited:
Not too familiar with the LCAR app..

(nor your skill set in those areas) :)

but if you want to a Flash version.. and or HTML/CSS/jQuery version... to do custom things..... let me know!

We can work something out that will be cool!

* also have a laser cutter if you want to try and cut some acrylic out..

Yes, I have some skills with HTML. I'll be using that. LCAR is the specific name for the appearance of the computer screen used in Star Trek. It's All those numbers and shapes that make up everything on the screen other than animation.

I do sometimes have questions on CSS, so, yes, I might wish to obtain answers.

DOH!..

I read that as some 'app' that had all that theme/style elements in it.. LOL

CSS?... no problem! Lay it on me whenever you want. :)

You can do a lot with a modern browser and HTML5/CSS/jQuery (javascript)....etc..

Not quite everything you can do in Flash though.... so if you are using a tablet/OS/browser that supports it.. and want to go that route.. I could whip something up on that side of things as well..
Makes things much more interactive my mind.. and since not truly being used on a website (as its not very secure, and should only be used as GUI/front end/off-line stuff)..

And this is a perfect fit for that.. haha..

edit: this was in response to Jintosh (and was supposed to be posted last night!) LOL

oh.. these are .exe files?

* a bit suspect... (but if you didnt get any viruses... I'll trust it I suppose!) LOL
* makes making any updates a bit harder..lol (probably need to decompile it and get the .fla) <-- are the source files available?

Other images and stuff found here too:

Starship Class - ダウンロード

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back