Star Trek Next Generation Enterprise 1701-D Model Help

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Wakeem, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I need some help finding information about an old Enterprise 1701-D model from The Next Generation. I don't know if it was a studio scale model so I started the thread here.

The model was released a long time ago, I think the late 90s. I recall seeing an advertisement for the model in a Star Trek magazine. The model was priced around $2000 and some areas had gold details. The ship could also light up. I've searched here and online but I haven't seen any pictures or reviews. A friend told me he saw the ship once at a Star Trek (Viacom) Store in Chicago. However, the store somehow didn't have the base or part that powered the lights.

Anyone know about this model? Have it or any pictures? As far as I know, this is still the best version of the Next Generation Enterprise. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

I remember that as well. I know it has been discussed here but I can't find using the search button. It was all brass, internal lights, and your right, about $2,000. I think there were severe quaility control issues with the few that did get out. I even remember someone restoring one as well. I'll keep searching, maybe it was another site.

3. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Adding "brass" to my search resulted with the producing company's name: Masterpiece Replicas. However, I did not find a dedicated thread on the model. Also, I only found one small, old eBay auction pic. I guess not having the money to purchase this back in the day was a good thing...

4. Alucard842013

Alucard842013 New Member

i remember that model they restored it with better lights and it was sold here recently but i don't remember much after that

5. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I happened to come across a copy of the ad.
    [​IMG]

6. Destructor1701

Destructor1701 New Member

Wow! Great find, but holy HECK! That thing is fugly! About 20 different flavours of disproportionate!

7. bmused55

bmused55 Member

Agreed! Ouch.
    I'd genuinely be very upset if I was given one of those for Christmas/Birthday.

8. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

I actually have one of those! It looks much worse in that pic (probably a prototype). The later ads (with the chubby girl holding it) were of a production model. It looks a lot better there.

In person, the contours are more-accurate and the color is a warmer gray. It is patterned after the TV-version. The retro-fit movie-version model was fairly different.

I will probably upgrade it with better lights and restore it at some point.

Or sell it. I dunno. It sits for now...

9. Robiwon

Would you care to share some pictures of it? They would go great with this thread.

10. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ad. It is different than the one I vaguely remember.

Yes, please post pics. I can't find good pictures anywhere...I asked my friend about it again and he thought it looked pretty accurate at the Star Trek store. But a bit lifeless since the lights weren't on. He also recalls that the ship was hanging from the ceiling and they were offering it at a discount since it didn't have the power base.

11. hemrie

hemrie New Member

I'd love to see pics also.

If you could get some really tight detail shots that would be great.

12. mnilesdc

mnilesdc New Member

I own one of these models. It is #57 of 5,000. I had some issues with Masterpiece Replicas as they kept promising to send my model but were very slow to do so. I have all of the documentation for the model as well as the correspondence with Masterpiece Replicas. I have had it out of the box twice since I received it back in the 1990's. Once to make sure I got what I expected and paid for and once to take pictures of it - some pictures with just room fluorescent lighting and then some with the room lights off and the models' lights on. Actually looks pretty cool. You are right, it is very difficult to find any info on this model so imagine my surprise when I saw your post from 2011. It is now 2014 but I thought I would become a member of this site in case you had any questions about this model.

13. compucrap

compucrap Active Member

I've always been interested in these as well. Please post some pictures of this with the lights on. It's a very elusive model and I've always wanted to see one all lite-up!

14. Robiwon

Yes, post pictures please. We love pictures!!

15. mnilesdc

mnilesdc New Member

For those wanting to see pictures of the ST:TNG Enterprise 1701-D model, send me your email and I will forward the pictures I have of my model.

16. mnilesdc

mnilesdc New Member

I just figured out how to attach the pictures so no need to email me. I hope these come through properly.

Attached Files:

17. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Despite it's inaccuracies it's still pretty sexy. :)

kirkman likes this.
  18. kirkman

kirkman New Member

I really wish someone could do an accurate version of the big D,in this scale. A 6 foot version is too big for me and the round is too small!

19. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ya, I need a 3' one to go with the Polar Lights Enterprise kits!

kirkman likes this.
  20. kirkman

kirkman New Member

I'm really considering using the blue prints. I don't know if I have the skills but it sounds like a doable project. The ship is nearly 271/2"! The primary hull is approximately 20". A perfect size for me. I've always liked Mr. Proberts D. Most find it fugly ,but for me different is appealing. Any takers....

Attached Files:

21. kirkman

kirkman New Member

I'm just wondering what the dementions of that ship were mnilesdc? Larger or smaller than the blue prints?

22. AKA

AKA New Member

What do you plan on building that with?

If anyone is interested in flying their own Enterprise 1701-D I have some free plans (or at least instructions) available. I'm currently building a 40" model and will post a thread when I'm finished; the model in the pictures below is 34" when measuring the width of the saucer section. PM me if you are interested in help with one of these before I post the thread -- I promise, help is free.

Wil Wheaton's Twitter Pic

Youtube Video (Prototype, doesn't fly well)

149495_10100172763218491_1248780981_n.jpg 1658533_10100420024839221_1034326900_o.jpg 1658533_10100420024844211_1983929213_o.jpg 10003740_10100420019440041_873287168_o.jpg 10003740_10100420019445031_190396519_o.jpg 10003740_10100420019450021_983592506_o.jpg

23. kirkman

kirkman New Member

I would like to try foam,sheet plastic,and fiberglass resin. I'm currently doing some research on the subject since I've never done anything like this before. Foam-to sculpt the shape. Plastic-for the main internal structure and rigidity. Fiberglass for strength and the odd shapes of the ship

24. Robiwon

Thanks for posting those pics. Back in the day this was the beast to have. All brass construction, lights, etc.

25. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Sorry about the late response. I'm just checking all the old topics I created as I received a haven't visited in a while email from the site. But thanks for these pictures. It looks amazing with the lights.

26. kirkman

kirkman New Member

Well, surprise,surprise! I am glad I'm not the only 1701-D fan left. Still looking into this subject image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.png

27. kirkman

kirkman New Member

Well, since Donshoko is working on a 2footer,I've decided that I don't want to be left in the dust. I'm going ahead with my 3 footer!(yes I ll still buy D's if he beats me to the punch).

Attached Files: