Deprecated Star Trek Movie Communicator Grills (FLM Concepts banned)

FLM Concepts

TakeIV-26.jpg
Render of my upcoming concept comm.

I'll leave the original text of this post below, but now that I have everything dialed in and that I know my machine can handle it, I'm changing this from an interest list to an Unlimited Run thread.

For now, I'm offering ST:III and ST:V-VI communicator lids in screen-accurate thicknesses.

The ST:III lids are three-piece lids which will need to be bent and soldered. Bend them around a 1/8" rod to get the correct radius. Machined from brass.

The ST:V-VI-Generations lids are one-piece lids which will also need to be bent around a 1/8" rod. They're machined from slightly thicker brass.

Both designs are $30 USD + $5.25 USD shipping within the US Lower 48. Please contact me for shipping costs outside of the US Lower 48.

NEW!

Beefy ST:III three-piece lids at the thicker ST:V-VI lid thickness for convention comms and comms that will be carried around. They're much sturdier.

Same Price!

This is how it will work. As I get them machined, I will post that I have them available in this thread. If you want one, please post in this thread that you want it, once it's available. I will contact each interested party, in order of replies in this thread, for payment information. Please indicate if you live outside of the Lower 48 States.

For the first few, I will contact people who have replied to this thread, in order of their replies.

Be advised, these are shipped flat, in a Flat Rate USPS Priority Mail box for protection, but they are very fragile before they are bent to the correct shape. This is pretty thin brass we're talking about here.

Tracking numbers will be provided.

Here's a pic of the ST:III lid, as it will be shipped to you:

DSC00121[1].jpg

And an image of the ST:V-VI grills:

DSC00132[1].jpg

Diagrams to help with assembly/bending:

STIII-Assembly.jpgSTIII-Bends.jpg

Pre-Bent Lids
: I'm offering pre-bent lids! The cost of bent ST:III Beefy and ST:V-VI-Generations lids will be $34, and a bent ST:III screen accurate lid will be $32.50 (plus shipping on both).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grills.jpg

I'm trying to gauge if there'd be any interest in the Star Trek TOS Movie Communicator Grills (Lids), or Antennae.

There would be two styles, one for Star Trek III: The Search for Spock communicators and one for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country communicators.

The ST:III version would be a three-piece grill, which would consist of the grill slats themselves and two side hinges that are soldered onto the grill, all made from brass. Screen-accurate.

The Second option, for ST:V and ST:VI would be one-piece grills made out of slightly thicker brass which would be screen-accurate.

For now they'd be offered flat and would need to be bent around a 1/8" diameter rod.

I'm thinking in the $30 USD range.

With any luck I'll be test-cutting the ST:III versions this weekend. I can have the brass for the later movies mid-week, if there's enough interest.

Last edited:
Re: Star Trek Movie Communicator Grills (Lids)

I'd be interested in a STIII version, and maybe a V as well.

Great!

Once I have these cut, can you guys think of anywhere else I can announce these? The grill is the hardest part of these communicators for most people, and I know there must be interest in them somewhere.

I should have the thicker brass for the later comms on Wednesday.

I've also been finessing my drawings the last couple of evenings and I think I now have as accurate a design as I possible can without tracing an actual screen-used lid.

You could mention it over at the 1701st as well, although I suspect most of the prop builders are here. . .

Yeah, I was going to do that once I have some cut, as well as on the Trek Prop Zone, if they ever approve me.

I should have close to 30 of the Trek III versions by the middle of the week, later ones by next weekend.

My price will be $25 USD + Priority Mail Shipping (shipped in a flat-rate box for protection).

Awesome! :)

I had a disaster with my new spoil board yesterday, so there will be a slight delay, but not too long. Maybe a couple of days. I went to plane it and it warped, causing my router to bog down and my power strip to trip its circuit.

Won't be using MDF for a spoil board, I guess. I need to get some expanded PVC board.

I'll order the thicker brass for the later comms today.

EDIT: With any luck I'll be cutting the ST:III versions tomorrow.

Screen-accurate brass for later comms ordered.

Would anyone be interested in either one- or three-piece versions out of an even thicker brass that would hold up better at conventions and for cosplay?

Last edited:

It'll be a little longer before I have 1mm thick grills. I'm not sure how long, but I would need to sell a few screen-accurate ones before I can get the brass...

Just letting you know.

DSC00121[1].jpg

I'm sorry to say, but the price just went back up to $30 each because of the amount of time these take to machine (and the number of bits broken dialing in the feeds).

I was supposed to get my thicker brass today, but there was a delay in shipping last evening (late freight truck), so I won't be getting it until tomorrow.

So, any more interest. :)

I'm so happy to have one of these now! :D

:)

I've changed this from an Interest Thread to an Unlimited Run Thread.

I will contact people in the order that they reply in this thread, once their machined.

I will not take payments before they're actually made and ready to ship because of the risk of bit breakage and the time that it takes to get new bits (yes, it's only a couple of days, but I don't want any delays). Tiny bits are more likely to break, even under the best of conditions.

Thanks for the interest!

Last edited:

I cut three more tonight, but I had a circuit blow mid-way through the second one, and when my machine reset it apparently didn't reset to the proper position (to be honest, I didn't home it. My fault), so I was left with only one good grill for tonight's efforts.

I've taken care of the circuit issue, though, so I'm hoping to run 15 tomorrow and more this weekend.

I finally have the brass to cut some later comm grills, and I think I'll do that this weekend.

I won't offer the one I cut tonight until I know it survives a trip to my husband's work tomorrow.

Here's an image with a quarter for size reference:

DSC00123[1].jpg

:)

Hot off our router:

DSC00125[1].jpg

This is 16 ST:III grills.

In this image, I still need to peel the plastic film with adhesive off of the hinge brackets, which is why they look so dirty.

I'll contact those that have already replied in this thread, but if you want one, please post here or PM me.

First come-first served.

$30 each + $5.60 Priority Mail Shipping within the Continental US.

And received. :)

Thanks!

I'll ship for all who are able to pay this weekend on Monday.

BTW, 11 more just became available...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back