Star Trek: Lower Decks

Okay, I got a notification for some reason that this thread was updated, but I'm not seeing anything newer than a year old. However, I did see these comments, and I'm really trying to understand it, but I'm having a difficult time doing so, so I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

"When inclusion becomes inclusive, it makes it meaningless." Did you mean when it becomes "exclusive"? If so, I still don't see how that's in anyway what's occurring in the show. Mariner is a woman, and she has a girlfriend... so what? You never hear anyone complaining when a character develops a relationship with someone of the opposite gender, but as soon as they're the same gender, there's always a cacophonous roar of people crying "forced diversity" or "forced inclusivity". No, it's just art reflecting life. Star Trek was always about striving for equality, and it continues to do so, which brings me to my next point.

Why are you watching Star Trek, out of all the sci-fi programs about space exploration, when you seem to not enjoy it when it's being Star Trek? You don't seem to bring up an issue with Riker being in a relationship with Troi, or Crusher with Picard, or Kira with Odo, or any of the other notable straight relationships in the universe. It's when the show goes against the status quo that you bring up things like this. If you truly don't need or want to know about the character's sexualities "whatever their proclivity is", failing to bring forth your feelings when it's about character's in straight relationships would be (as Spock says) illogical.
Since you’re obviously reading into my posts to get fodder for your own diatribe, I’ll table it here.

T'lynn rocks. I also enjoyed the look at Orion culture.
The episode where Tendi goes home was a fun and it did give us our first good look at the Orion homeworld and more insight into Orion culture, something that I don't think that any live action Trek has ever done. This is one of the things that I love about the show, once you look past the comedy, it has the heart of a true Trek show and one that's not only respectful and faithful to the existing lore and canon it also expands upon it in a logical and meaningful way. I'm enjoying Lower Decks far more than I did Picard S1, haven't watched any of the other seasons, not watched DISCO, and have only watched 2 episodes of SNW. But I think that Lower Decks is the best Trek show since Enterprise ended. People just need to look past the animated format and the comedy and they'll find that there's a lot to like about the show as Star Trek fan.

I just finished watching the latest episode of and I have to say that I was rather disappointed with it. Instead of dealing with whatever the big bad is we got a purely stand alone and I hate to say it, filler episode. It did nothing to move this season's story arc forward at all. That's not to say that it was a bad episode, it was pretty funny and had some good moments, but, in my opinion, it was an odd choice for an episode this late in the season. I just hope that they don't do a Disney and rush the ending by trying to do everything in the season finale, hopefully they'll start wrapping things up next week so that there will still be 1 episode to end the season without rushing.

I just finished watching the latest episode of and I have to say that I was rather disappointed with it. Instead of dealing with whatever the big bad is we got a purely stand alone and I hate to say it, filler episode. It did nothing to move this season's story arc forward at all. That's not to say that it was a bad episode, it was pretty funny and had some good moments, but, in my opinion, it was an odd choice for an episode this late in the season. I just hope that they don't do a Disney and rush the ending by trying to do everything in the season finale, hopefully they'll start wrapping things up next week so that there will still be 1 episode to end the season without rushing.
It was almost like a mid season episode where, in order to save money, producers have a clip episode, or one set in one environment, with minimal visuals.

It was almost like a mid season episode where, in order to save money, producers have a clip episode, or one set in one environment, with minimal visuals.
I thought that was the main 'meta' joke... that they made a combined 'bottle' and 'clip' episode in which all the clips were actually new and the 'bottles' were all different (caves)! I loved it. LD has absolutely nailed the gentle taking the mickey out of formulaic or budgetary constraints in other Trek shows - SO many cave missions... with flat floors and natural stairs :D. But always ffrom a place of love and respect.

I thought the generally upbeat and heartwarming tone of the episode was great. Since their promotions we haven't actually seen our main four protagonists together for a while and it was lovely to see them re-establish their affection for each other (the 'puppy-pile' in the lift :love:). My own feeling is that it was intended to give us a reminder of that closeness and love before taking us to a darker place in what's been hinted at as a pretty intense final couple of episodes of the season. The calm before the storm maybe...

My subscription ends October 27. I’ll miss the final episode. Oh well. Streaming services are all raising their prices, time to scale back.

My subscription ends October 27. I’ll miss the final episode. Oh well. Streaming services are all raising their prices, time to scale back.

there's a good chance they will offer you a free month, or a discount when you go to cancel. if the rumored episode 9 cliff hanger grabs you, that might be a good option.

I think that Lower Decks is the best Trek show since Enterprise ended. People just need to look past the animated format and the comedy and they'll find that there's a lot to like about the show as Star Trek fan.
To be fair, that's a big ask for a lot of people. If it were just the fact that it's animated, maybe Trek fans would appreciate it more (the animation style plays into that too). For another example of animation based on live-action, I never liked the look of the Star Wars animated shows. I never liked the look of them. And from the handful of episodes I watched, I think the painted wood-looking maquette style often doesn't match the tone of the stories. I kind of got over it, but not entirely.

Then you add in comedy for Lower Decks and you put an even higher barrier of entry. Sure, Star Trek has always injected comedy, but it's rarely as much about comedy, and definitely not the same type as Lower Decks' style of comedy, which is part parody and also just goofy, slap-stick, while the charcters speak in jokes and use too much colloquial speech and even profanity, as compared to the original live action Trek series and movies. Any time you break with the established reality of a piece of fiction, you're going to lose people. That's also the problem with the newer, rebooted live-action Trek projects, starting with the 2009 movie. They changed too much of what a lot of fans liked about Trek. I actually like the newer Trek Films, as they at least established a reason for why characters and events were different than the originals. The time-travel butterfly-effect worked to give a new take on Trek while allowing fans to hold onto the fact that it's an alternate timeliness, and the Trek they love still exists.

Now, I will say that, although I initially had no interest in Lower Decks because of those reasons, I've watched some episodes and kind of enjoy it. But, for me, I think the animation and comedy allow me to disconnect it from the live action stuff. I also like Tawny Newsome and Jack Quaid in other things, so I enjoy their performances. Weirdly, I also enjoyed the Strange New World/Lower Decks crossover episode. I almost think I could enjoy SNW more if it were animated, as I could more easily disconnect it from the established live-action Trek. I keep trying to like it, but every time I get back into it, I just get mad at the logic flaws and un-Trekliness of it.

Last edited:
I thought that was the main 'meta' joke... that they made a combined 'bottle' and 'clip' episode in which all the clips were actually new and the 'bottles' were all different (caves)! I loved it. LD has absolutely nailed the gentle taking the mickey out of formulaic or budgetary constraints in other Trek shows - SO many cave missions... with flat floors and natural stairs :D. But always ffrom a place of love and respect.

I thought the generally upbeat and heartwarming tone of the episode was great. Since their promotions we haven't actually seen our main four protagonists together for a while and it was lovely to see them re-establish their affection for each other (the 'puppy-pile' in the lift :love:). My own feeling is that it was intended to give us a reminder of that closeness and love before taking us to a darker place in what's been hinted at as a pretty intense final couple of episodes of the season. The calm before the storm maybe...
I didn't think that it was a bad episode, I actually really enjoyed it. I just felt that it was a poor choice for an E8 out of 10. It felt like it should have been an episode 6 or 7 instead.

To be fair, that's a big ask for a lot of people. If it were just the fact that it's animated, maybe Trek fans would appreciate it more (the animation style plays into that too). For another example of animation based on live-action, I never liked the look of the Star Wars animated shows. I never liked the look of them. And from the handful of episodes I watched, I think the painted wood-looking maquette style often doesn't match the tone of the stories. I kind of got over it, but not entirely.

Then you add in comedy for Lower Decks and you put an even higher barrier of entry. Sure, Star Trek has always injected comedy, but it's rarely as much about comedy, and definitely not the same type as Lower Decks' style of comedy, which is part parody and also just goofy, slap-stick, while the charcters speak in jokes and use too much colloquial speech and even profanity, as compared to the original live action Trek series and movies. Any time you break with the established reality of a piece of fiction, you're going to lose people. That's also the problem with the newer, rebooted live-action Trek projects, starting with the 2009 movie. They changed too much of what a lot of fans liked about Trek. I actually like the newer Trek Films, as they at least established a reason for why characters and events were different than the originals. The time-travel butterfly-effect worked to give a new take on Trek while allowing fans to hold onto the fact that it's an alternate timeliness, and the Trek they love still exists.

Now, I will say that, although I initially had no interest in Lower Decks because of those reasons, I've watched some episodes and kind of enjoy it. But, for me, I think the animation and comedy allow me to disconnect it from the live action stuff. I also like Tawny Newsome and Jack Quade in other things, so I enjoy their performances. Weirdly, I also enjoyed the Strange New World/Lower Decks crossover episode. I almost think I could enjoy SNW more if it were animated, as I could more easily disconnect it from the established live-action Trek. I keep trying to like it, but every time I get back into it, I just get mad at the logic flaws and un-Trekliness of it.
If you ask me, Lower Decks has been the most Trek like show of any show or movie since Enterprise went off the air. LD is certainly much more respectful to existing Trek lore and canon than the JJ films or what I know of DISCO. SNW looks decent, but I've only watched 2 episodes of it, the musical and the LD crossover.

If you ask me, Lower Decks has been the most Trek like show of any show or movie since Enterprise went off the air. LD is certainly much more respectful to existing Trek lore and canon than the JJ films or what I know of DISCO. SNW looks decent, but I've only watched 2 episodes of it, the musical and the LD crossover.
Having heard everything bad I had about DISCO, I went into it with low expectations... but I love it. I'm on S4, and while S3 is my least favorite, it was still very intriguing. Hell, even my dad (who is mainly a TOS fan, but enjoys LD) said it might even be his new favorite.

I love so many things about this.

Having spent a good bit of time below decks aboard Navy ships at sea, they've really nailed the difference in overall vibe between the leadership and the junior officers. So accurate!! LOVE IT.

I love the way the show lovingly makes fun of Trek itself without breaking the 4th wall. Tons of deep lore humor and callbacks to every era of Trek. Tawny Newsome just being herself is the best thing that could ever happen to Trek.

Also really enjoy that they keep adding more ships to the opening credit montage battle scene with the Borg as each season progresses.

And my daughter now wants a Moopsy for our Lower Decks cosplay.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back