Star Trek IV "prop" nearing retirement

I agree, it is sad to hear that the big carrier is nearing retirement.

But I had to snicker at this quote:

"The problems are so notorious that sailors reporting to work aboard the Enterprise are often given joking condolences by their colleagues on shore and on other ships."

Because it made me think of the beginning of Star Trek V where the Enterprise was most definitely NOT ready and falling apart before they ever left space-dock. :facepalm

Oh, and lets not forget that the Enterprise was also used in Top Gun! :thumbsup

...damn...why scrap it though?? Why not use it as a museum like the Midway in San Diego or the carrier in New York???

FYI, the Enterprise was not played by the Enterprise in Star Trek IV.

It was the USS Ranger.

It was here in San Diego at the time and they filmed those scenes here.

Unfortunately I didn't hear about it until the night they finished. But that did lead me to the next week's shooting schedule in Will Roger's State Park.

Last edited:
know-it-all-300x223.png

I still like better thinking that it was...thank's for bursting the bubble for those who didn't know that little fact of ST Trivia.

:behave

I don't see how this could be considered very obscure trivia; they do "thank" the men and women of the USS Ranger in the credits.

Kevin

I never ventured to learn or read that. Seems really crazy that they would use another ship other than the Enterprise to play the Enterprise, doesn't it?

Hollywood!!!

I never ventured to learn or read that. Seems really crazy that they would use another ship other than the Enterprise to play the Enterprise, doesn't it?

Hollywood!!!

The story goes that the Enterprise was out at sea, and beyond that, at the time the nuclear technology was still classified, so shooting in the area of the actual reactor would not have been possible anyways.

it probably wouldn't be opened to the public because of the Nuclear Reactors. The public out cry would make it beyond trouble. Even if the reactors and fuel material had been removed along with the connected systems.

that said, I'd want it put to port and left open for people to tour!!! Drop the Growler from the Intrepid here in NYC bring in Enterprise. then we can have 2 Enterprises here!!!

"you still may number one.... I doubt this will be the last ship to bear the name Enterprise.."

"There are plenty of letters left in the alphabet....."

I don't see how this could be considered very obscure trivia; they do "thank" the men and women of the USS Ranger in the credits.

Kevin

Everyone in the Navy should know this. Also, since Top Gun until the day she was DeCom'ed the Rangers UNREP Song was the Tog Gun Theme.

It is always sad to see a ship go, but she has done her Duty and its time to pass the Mantle of "Enterprise" to the next ship.

Indeed. She's had her day. There is a small movement of people who are petitioning the USN to give The Enterprise a permanent commission (like the Constitution). I think that would be a huge mistake as that would tie up the name in what would be essentially a museum ship, rather than passing the proud name of Enterprise to the (ahem) next generation of ship. There should Always be an Enterprise in the fleet.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back