Star Trek Insignia Shadow Box - UPDATE 8/27/22: Finished!

ram4815162342

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
UPDATE: Finished!! See Post #10 for the final result!

Hey all,

As I've been watching through season 2 of Discovery, having just finished Lower Decks and Picard in the past half-year, I was inspired to look at putting together a shadow box display of the most iconic insignia from the whole canon. I've done some searches on our forums, and while I've found some helpful info, I'm still left with a lot of question marks....I already own the (Roddenberry?) replicas of the TNG and DS9/Voyager Comm badges (with the appropriate "M" logo imprinted on the back of the casting behind the velcro....) and have started looking to fill out my collection with the best replicas of each era. This is where I was hoping to get some input help!

Here is the list I know I'm seeking: (are there any other significant items I'm forgetting??)
- Original series patch
- ST:TMP circle badge
- ST2:TWOK - ST6:TUC badge
- Future Imperfect
- All Good Things...
- Picard variant on All Good Things badge
- JJ Abrams / Kelvin command badge
- Discovery Command badge (I've seen the Quantum Mechanix one, but it doesn't have the rank pips as the ones on the show do?)
- Section 31 black badge
- Discovery Season 3 badge (I'm watching season 2, but I've heard a bit about season 3).

Any thoughts/leads on the most authentic replica versions of any of these? I know I can get metal pins of most online, and I'm fine with that...but I also know the cast versions of the TNG/DS9/Voyager pins I have look and feel so much more authentic than the metal versions of each I own.

I appreciate any and all leads/insight/thoughts about this as I begin putting it together!

- Ram

Last edited:
here's a couple of my shadow boxes

Attachments

• ST Discovery Pin Collection.jpg
    ST Discovery Pin Collection.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 177
  • STMP Officers Rank Pin Collection.jpg
    STMP Officers Rank Pin Collection.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 158
  • TNG Klingon Communicators & Rank Pins.jpg
    TNG Klingon Communicators & Rank Pins.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 192
  • JJ's Star Trek Universe Commbadges.JPG
    JJ's Star Trek Universe Commbadges.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 192
  • STD Enterprise and Command Pins.jpg
    STD Enterprise and Command Pins.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 54350255_10213160150630733_6901123888952901632_n.jpg
    54350255_10213160150630733_6901123888952901632_n.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 160
  • Roddenberry Starfleet ComBadges.jpg
    Roddenberry Starfleet ComBadges.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 387
Hey all,

As I've been watching through season 2 of Discovery, having just finished Lower Decks and Picard in the past half-year, I was inspired to look at putting together a shadow box display of the most iconic insignia from the whole canon. I've done some searches on our forums, and while I've found some helpful info, I'm still left with a lot of question marks....I already own the (Roddenberry?) replicas of the TNG and DS9/Voyager Comm badges (with the appropriate "M" logo imprinted on the back of the casting behind the velcro....) and have started looking to fill out my collection with the best replicas of each era. This is where I was hoping to get some input help!

Here is the list I know I'm seeking: (are there any other significant items I'm forgetting??)
- Original series patch
- ST:TMP circle badge
- ST2:TWOK - ST6:TUC badge
- Future Imperfect
- All Good Things...
- Picard variant on All Good Things badge
- JJ Abrams / Kelvin command badge
- Discovery Command badge (I've seen the Quantum Mechanix one, but it doesn't have the rank pips as the ones on the show do?)
- Section 31 black badge
- Discovery Season 3 badge (I'm watching season 2, but I've heard a bit about season 3).

Any thoughts/leads on the most authentic replica versions of any of these? I know I can get metal pins of most online, and I'm fine with that...but I also know the cast versions of the TNG/DS9/Voyager pins I have look and feel so much more authentic than the metal versions of each I own.

I appreciate any and all leads/insight/thoughts about this as I begin putting it together!

- Ram
Hey man

I’m doing the same thing. If you have Facebook look up Widdle Wade he makes a bunch of different com badges.

Found a great metal Discovery badge with the rank pips on it. Great price too...

UPDATE: It's finished!!

EDIT: Well, almost finished. I realized a day after putting it upright that the velcro on the patches had started to slip on the velvet. I can even see some of them starting to move out of their spots on the images posted. So one more step left, I guess! Trying to decide if I should just glue them onto the velvet or do a magnet thing with them as well. We'll see...

Continuing...
I started collecting pins when I posted the original post in this thread. I was pretty active in building up my collection until about March of 2021. Then, I put everything on a shelf where it sat for over a year while I was busy with other things. But I kept seeing them every day, so it was never far from my mind. After seeing some of the new pins on season 2 of Picard, I started looking for who might be making the new designs. It took a few months for enough solid options to appear to where I felt I had most of them. Then Strange New Worlds came out, and of course I had to add those pins. Then I finished watching Discovery, season 2 of Lower Decks, and introduced my kids to Prodigy (gotta get that pin too...).

Anyway...I purchased one of those hinged jersey-display shadowbox cases, and about a yard of black velvet. I picked up about 120 strong magnets that came with adhesive strips, as well as some velcro for the patches. After laying the design out on the shadow box, I just put down the magnets on the backdrop of the box, stapled the velvet to the inside of the case, let it drape, and placed the pins on top of their designated magnets. For about 10-12 of the pins, which came with pin backs and not magnets, I used some adhesive rubber footings you might put under furniture I had laying around and then pushed the pin through the velvet into the pad. I may eventually switch them all to magnets, but that's a project for another day.

The initial idea was just to trace the evolution of the main delta logo / comm badge....but as I went along, I decided to add a few other prominent pins, or just ones that I found to be interesting to look at. I also put a few of the miniature pins that came with the larger ones on the board, using up some of the lower space and giving me room to expand the collection as the shows continue to add new designs.

Anyway, I wanted to give everyone an update - thanks to everyone who helped point me in the right direction when I started out!

FINISHED
Final - Open.jpeg

With Case Closed:
Final - Closed.jpeg

And the progress of the collection, starting in February of 2021...
First.jpeg
Three.jpeg
On the shelf with some of the tricorder replicas I built, where they lived for over a year...
Five - Shelf.jpeg
Starting to lay out the pieces on my table...
Six.jpeg
The shadowbox arrived...
Seven.jpeg
Realized I had more I needed to order...
Eight.jpeg
Almost finished!
Nine.jpeg
Finally, the unused pins...
Unused.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back