Star Trek III - Rare AMT ERTL Model??

Monster Dave

Sr Member
Hey everyone! Hopefully some of you can help me!

I have a Star Trek III AMT/ERTL model that I acquired many years ago that's unopened and still in its original plastic wrapping and has been living in my closet for the last 10-15 years.

Recently, I've become interested in it (primarliy to assess any value it may have) but in trying to locate another one, haven't found a single example like this one. There are plenty from the other movies, but this is honestly the first one that I've ever seen from III.

Has anyone here seen another of these or know anything about its rarity?

I did contact AMT/Ertl but the rep who I spoke with told me that not all of the records from early models were kept and it couldn't be located.

:unsure

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Dave.

Last edited:
This would be pretty rare, since it's the last time it was seen with a smooth hull. The version labeled for ST4 had the engraved panel lines added, a terrible attempt to replicate the aztecing.

This would be pretty rare, since it's the last time it was seen with a smooth hull. The version labeled for ST4 had the engraved panel lines added, a terrible attempt to replicate the aztecing.

Hey Rob,

Thanks for chiming in! I've built a number of Enterprise models over the years but I'm by no means an expert on them as a product line. Your point about the smooth hull is really interesting. I did not know about that shift in design. I think that all of the ones that I've built have had the textured hull.

Since I haven't been able to find anything on this specific model, my knowledge base is really limited to what I can read on the box itself!

Anyone else?? Or other suggestions/observations?? I'm even more curious now!

:confused

Last edited:
Yeah the original version from '79 had a smooth hull. The decals were dry transfers and it had reflective decals for the warp nacelles. The ST2 version changed to water release markings and no reflective ones. For ST4 they added the A to the number, and the engraving. Not only did the lines look nothing like the aztecs, but they had a rough surface. It looked like plywood panels!

Unfortunately the molds were altered to make the engraving, so it became permanent :angry

Yeah the original version from '79 had a smooth hull. The decals were dry transfers and it had reflective decals for the warp nacelles. The ST2 version changed to water release markings and no reflective ones. For ST4 they added the A to the number, and the engraving. Not only did the lines look nothing like the aztecs, but they had a rough surface. It looked like plywood panels!

Unfortunately the molds were altered to make the engraving, so it became permanent :angry

I could be mistaken, but I thought that somewhere along the line AMT and ERTL split. I wonder if that had anything to do with the design of the molds.

I'd like to get a better idea about the value that this model may hold. Given that it's very hard to find it is by definition rare, but have the '79 models held any value? After all, I'd hate to rip into it when I find myself yearning to build a model only to discover that I should have kept it unopened!! :cry

That would be bad!!

On a side note, I do love the simple and clean artwork on the box. Just a black background and the Enterprise. What more could one ask for!! The picture really doesn't do justice to how good of condition this model is in.

few years back, 90 bucks was about the average for that kit. but anyone you asked would just say "just wait a few months, polar lights is coming out with a better, bigger, and cheaper one"

I could be mistaken, but I thought that somewhere along the line AMT and ERTL split. I wonder if that had anything to do with the design of the molds...

AMT was the original maker of the Trek kits, starting with TOS in the 60s. They were bought by ERTL in the 80s. ERTL also bought MPC, which put Star Trek and Star Wars kits under one brand. Round 2 currently owns them.

As for the value, that really only matters if you're a collector, or if you plan to sell it. If you want to build the AMT, the smooth one is best. I don't know if R2 has any plans to re release it, since they have the PL 1/350 kit which blows it away.

As fate would have it, after all this time I've never seen anything about this model...I happen to do a cross reference search of Ertl models and found 1 for sale through Amazon for just under $80.

I'm not really interested in selling it so much as I am in learning what I've got. I remember when I bought it - I thought it was quite the find given it's great condition. I've kept it in a cool area and in a closet protected. I'm trying to remember when that was exactly...sometime back around '94 I think. So I've had it for a while to say the least!

From time to time I like to pull it out to admire the art work on the box, but that's as far as I go with it - I've never been able to bring myself to actually opening it!!

I would second Vaderman1701, the engraved panel lines made their appearance with the Star Trek II issue of the Kit. The only "smoothie" for the AMT Enterprise was the first Motion Picture issue.

I had one of each. My "smoothie" had that cruddy stand taken from the original 1968 issue of the Star Trek Kits which never balanced properly and fell over and broke repeatedly until one last time it demolished the model. When they issued the Wrath of Khan version of the kit I was surprised--and disappointed (even at 13)--that they had added those awful, inaccurate, panels. That one avoided the crummy stand and hung from the ceiling until it met its Kobayashi Maru and I replaced it with the Star Trek IV issue in its rainbow box.

Round 2 pretty much killed the value of collectible kits. If you look at the Excelsior kit, now ranges between $80 to $110 on ebay because round 2 hasn't reproduced it....YET. Once they do it to (the original kit) will be selling for around $20-$30

I would second Vaderman1701, the engraved panel lines made their appearance with the Star Trek II issue of the Kit. The only "smoothie" for the AMT Enterprise was the first Motion Picture issue.
Thirding this. The TMP version was the only smoothie released.

As fate would have it, after all this time I've never seen anything about this model...I happen to do a cross reference search of Ertl models and found 1 for sale through Amazon for just under $80.

I'm not really interested in selling it so much as I am in learning what I've got. I remember when I bought it - I thought it was quite the find given it's great condition. I've kept it in a cool area and in a closet protected. I'm trying to remember when that was exactly...sometime back around '94 I think. So I've had it for a while to say the least!

From time to time I like to pull it out to admire the art work on the box, but that's as far as I go with it - I've never been able to bring myself to actually opening it!!

Dave,

If you aren't interested in selling it then opening it up and building it isn't such a bad idea. I know it's hard to open a kit that's been sealed for 30 years. I have a sealed AMT ST: TMP Refit "Smoothie' that I've yet to open. I have 2 more that are open and I'm building one so I don't need to take the shrink wrap off the sealed one, yet. However if you aren't planning on getting another one and you aren't going to sell it then it's up to you what's best.

Something about opening it feels really....wrong. I feel like I've abstained from opening it this long...so opening it now would be sad. LOL.

I think for the time being, I'll let it remain as is.

I'm not necessarily opposed to selling it - not bottom of the barrel anyway - it's worth a lot more to me than that!!!

Heck, if I did let it go, I'd still have my unopened G1 Optimus Prime to admire!!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back