Star Trek Enterprise Hand Scanner hero

As usual, some really great work. The scanner is awesome! Kudos to you sir.

What show is the second screen display from? What graphics program did you use to make the screens?

As usual, some really great work. The scanner is awesome! Kudos to you sir.

What show is the second screen display from? What graphics program did you use to make the screens?

Hi Kal, thanks for the positive feedback.
I covered the graphic back in post #8 so I'll just copy and paste that reply below and add to it.

I had access to photos of screen used scanners and their various graphics. I recreated the graphic in Corel Draw, reverse printed it on acetate then clear coated it. It's a very effective way to produce a graphic that can be backlit.

I used the same method on the MACO scanner, Phlox scanner, Daniels' scanner and T'Pol scanner.

I'll be recreating the 4 graphics I had access to and using those for more of the Enterprise scanners I'm working on.

What's the story on the Trip's engineering tool? Is that a found object that you identified, or something modified, etc.?

It's a found item which was rare as hen's teeth even back in the mid 2000s when I went looking for it.
It's a Streamlight Stylus. Very hard to get the knurled grip version which is the accurate one used on Enterprise rather than the ribbed grip. There are 3 cell versions around now but this is the shorter 2 cell version.

It's a found item which was rare as hen's teeth even back in the mid 2000s when I went looking for it.
It's a Streamlight Stylus. Very hard to get the knurled grip version which is the accurate one used on Enterprise rather than the ribbed grip. There are 3 cell versions around now but this is the shorter 2 cell version.
Of course it was rare ever back then. That seems to have been the case with a lot of the found props that they used throughout the different versions of Star Trek.

20191105-175117.jpg

Attachments

• 20191105-175117.jpg
    20191105-175117.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 192

I found one a few months ago and the knurled (hashed) grip version is a hard one to find. Most have a single grooved grip now.

Last edited:
Any other info you can remember for that, like the model number? Trip was my favorite character, and I'd love to try and find one of these for myself.

Any other info you can remember for that, like the model number? Trip was my favorite character, and I'd love to try and find one of these for myself.
It's a Streamlight Stylus.
Good luck with the search, as I mentioned this was Hen's teeth rare about 10 or 15 years ago when I went looking.
Trip is a fantastic character, I agree.
LLAP

I've always loved a Tricorder or scanner and Star Trek has them in abundance.
The Starfleet hand scanner has been on my to do list for years and after a couple of prototypes, I feel I've nailed it.
I wanted this scanner to have the release actuator near the top of the side grip to closely match the original prop.
The original screenused pieces had hard rubber grips with the release just under the surface.
For durability and longevity I opted for 3D printed nylon for its execellent mechanical strength, especially when making the grips' walls thin to accomodate the release latch which is attached to a small round button which protrudes slightly from the side face on my replica.

The gold buttons in the pop-up section were 3D printed in high quality smooth resin to get the best finish then painted gold and clear coated.
The red button was also 3D printed in high quality smooth, clear resin and clear coated with the back flat face painted red.
The top shroud is hollow just like the original props.

It's a lot of work to finish one of these scanners, but ultimately worth the effort for a high quality accurate replica.

View attachment 1079242

View attachment 1079243

A video of the scanner in action.
How much are these please

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back