Star Trek Enterprise Hand Scanner hero

renaissance_man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've always loved a Tricorder or scanner and Star Trek has them in abundance.
The Starfleet hand scanner has been on my to do list for years and after a couple of prototypes, I feel I've nailed it.
I wanted this scanner to have the release actuator near the top of the side grip to closely match the original prop.
The original screenused pieces had hard rubber grips with the release just under the surface.
For durability and longevity I opted for 3D printed nylon for its execellent mechanical strength, especially when making the grips' walls thin to accomodate the release latch which is attached to a small round button which protrudes slightly from the side face on my replica.

The gold buttons in the pop-up section were 3D printed in high quality smooth resin to get the best finish then painted gold and clear coated.
The red button was also 3D printed in high quality smooth, clear resin and clear coated with the back flat face painted red.
The top shroud is hollow just like the original props.

It's a lot of work to finish one of these scanners, but ultimately worth the effort for a high quality accurate replica.

Enterprise-Hero-Hand-Scanner-1-1.jpg

ENT-Hand-Scanner-Open-Closed.jpg

A video of the scanner in action.

Last edited:
Very nice work and a great result. And thanks for the description. I like the result for the red button (painting the back side) - I did this a few times with clear acrylics and it always looks good. Could you maybe provide a few details how you did the screens?

Very nice work and a great result. And thanks for the description. I like the result for the red button (painting the back side) - I did this a few times with clear acrylics and it always looks good. Could you maybe provide a few details how you did the screens?

Hi Markus,
Thank you for your positive feedback.
I had access to photos of screen used scanners and their various graphics. I recreated the graphic in Corel Draw, reverse printed it on acetate then clear coated it. It's a very effective way to produce a graphic that can be backlit.

I used the same method on the MACO scanner, Phlox scanner, Daniels' scanner and T'Pol scanner.

Goldcylon-phlox-scanner.jpg

Enterprise-Daniels-Scanner.jpg

Enterprise-Hero-MACO-Scanner.jpg

I'm trying to talk myself into owning Daniels scanner. Having Dr Phlox's already on hand in my collection is a strong argument.. lol

All joking aside Jamie's work is top notch and he is a brilliant propmaker. The Starfleet Scanner is next on my do want list. GC

Hmm just noticed that Data module.... Damn...

I'm trying to talk myself into owning Daniels scanner. Having Dr Phlox's already on hand in my collection is a strong argument.. lol

All joking aside Jamie's work is top notch and he is a brilliant propmaker. The Starfleet Scanner is next on my do want list. GC

Hmm just noticed that Data module.... Damn...

Thank you. The positive comments and feedback are very much appreciated.

I love Star Trek props and working on making something that is as close to owning a screenused piece is always at the forefront of my mind when deciding which prop to take on next.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back