Star Trek DS9 - Quark's Isolinear Rods & Box - Build & Finished ....& some FAAAKES !!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Alan Castillo, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In my opinion, the most memorable character in Star Trek DS9 is Quark, with all his ‘humanity’ interlaced with plenty of shenanigans :lol

Having been on DS9 when it was still occupied by the Cardassians, Quark had plenty of time to amass several Cardassian Isolinear Rods (data storage, operational and programme devices) used on the station. Some of these were frequently used by Quark to gain unauthorised access to the station’s controls.

He kept a bunch of these rods in a drawer under his bar, and others in a separate box.

I will differentiate between the two kinds of rods, starting off with the ones he kept in the drawer, these

[​IMG]

These rods have 4 bands on the top, 1 thinner than the other 3, another thinner band at the bottom, and a black stripe down the middle. These can be seen clearer here

[​IMG]

And here is one of those original props.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, the ones Quark kept in his box (where he used to keep Dr. Bashir’s ‘Vic Fontain’ holosuite programme rod) had 3 bands on the top, no band at the bottom, and like the various operational rods, had colour-coded bands on the top.

The lack of a bottom stripe can clearly be seen in these two screencaps. The first is when he is taking Vic Fontain’s rod out of the box to give to Odo, and due to the angle, the light reflects only on the bands.

[​IMG]

As can also be distinguished when the rod is taken from Odo to be put back in the box

[​IMG]

This is one of these original rods

[​IMG]

Furthermore, the rods have a square on the top, as can be seen in these other 2 screencaps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I was going for the rods as seen in Quark’s box, I needed some of these, cut up …

[​IMG]

… and plenty of these ….

[​IMG]

… et Voila ! Quark’s Isolinear Rods.

The colour coding on the rods are White for Engineering System Controls, Red for Library and Information Storage ...... and the rest are not specified on the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking

Nah ! They look lonely :lol

They need a box :love

So let’s have a good look at that first

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As confirmed by HMS Mike, the box was scratch built. So, here goes.

I didn’t take many ‘build’ images, as there was not all that much to show. Precise and detailed, yes, but not warranting a ton of images.

A medium I love to use is balsa.

So I made the basic box and its lid, sanded down the edges to make them round, and used filler and sandpaper to smoothen.

[​IMG]

Next, I made the external ‘panels’

[​IMG]

And added .....

[​IMG]

1 - Small magnet
    2 - Sheet of metal
    3 - Hinges
    4 - Internal ‘panels’
    5 - Divider box
    6 - Internal lid panels

Now, for my personal touch :lol

The best episode in DS9 is, in my personal opinion, “In the Pale Moonlight”.

In this episode, Captain Sisko decides to drag the Romulans into the Federation-Dominion war by forging, on a Cardassian Optolythic Data Rod, a holographic recording of the Dominion plotting to attack Romulus.

These rods, unlike Isolinear Rods, can only be recorded on once, and are manufactured as needed.

For the task, Sisko and Garak ‘enlist’ the help of a forger, Grathor Tolar, who does his work in one of Quark’s Holosuites.

[​IMG]

When Sisko gives the rod to the Romulan Senator Vreenak for inspection ….

[​IMG]

…. and he returns to speak to Sisko afterwards with his findings …

[​IMG]

… it leads to the most famous ‘hiss’ ......

[​IMG]

:lol

So, I figured since these rods are so hard to come by, and are worth alot of Latinum, Quark would have, at some point, probably obtained a couple of these for his nefarious purposes :lol

Therefore, here are a couple of those too

[​IMG]

To round it all up for the box, some paint, graphics and decals later, and here it is finished :

Quarks’ Isolinear Rods and Box :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on display.

[​IMG]

Finally, I must thank 2 members for their contribution to this project.

A big huge thanks to Simon (Supa troop) for receiving the rods from the manufacturer on my behalf, wrapping them up safely, and forwarding them to me !! and thank you Dietrich (Cmdr.Kerner) for the front logo of the box, which I manipulated and jazzed up to match the one on screen :thumbsup

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    Cameron likes this.
  2. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Star Trek DS9 - Quark's Isolinear Rods & Box - Build & Finished ....& some FAAAKE

Awesome!!!

Any chance you can share the measurements, and where to get the gold bands? Really thinking of making the IT'S A FAKE!!!! one and a case :)

Chris

3. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Re: Star Trek DS9 - Quark's Isolinear Rods & Box - Build & Finished ....& some FAAAKE

Beautiful work!

4. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

This is just terrific work! I'd love to try to make one of these. Are those acrylic rods? How did you cut them? Thanks for sharing your ingenious project; it's inspiring!

5. Alan Castillo

Then rods are 1.3cms X 9cms.

The box is 13 W X 10.5 H X 5 cms. (height is 7 for the box and 3.5 the lid)

EDIT : My mistake. It's 5cms, not 4, wide.

The bands are copper tape, available from your local ironmonger. Rest cut are acrylic stickers :)

Thank you :)

Yes, they are extruded acrylic rods. The biggest mistake people make is cutting acrylic with a saw. It is surprisingly difficult. The easiest and cleanest way is by attaching a flat grinding bit to a hobby drill and do it by heat - knife through butter and clean cut.

However, I had these cut at source myself.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  6. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

That is amazing. I can't believe you got all that detail with balsa.

Where does one find colored acrylic rods, anyway?

7. Alan Castillo

Why thank you ! :)

As for the rods, unless you have a manufacturer near you, it'd have to be from somewhere on-line. There are plenty. Just google 'acrylic rods buy' and shop for prices :thumbsup

8. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome!!!

Quark was the man!

In "Little Green Men" Quark was supposed to come back with a jones for cigarettes but they cut that out! :lol

9. Alan Castillo

I love your trivia :lol !

Thank you :):thumbsup

10. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

Too funny! I thought maybe they'd have Quark ask Odo to turn back into a German Shepherd, as he looked so much more sweet and cuddly that way! (Quark was the GEM of DS9!)

11. Alan Castillo

48 hours of knocking my head against the wall, and I just COULDN'T put my finger on what was 'wrong' with this replica.

It finally hit me while ... well, never mind :lol , and I fixed it in 2 seconds flat.

The darned rods were sitting a couple of millimeters too high in the box, making it look totally out of proportion !

I simply removed a sheet of balsa that was lying down under the divider box, and that was it !

Pics in first post replaced with new ones, but you can see what I mean so much better with a side by side before and after.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  12. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Star Trek DS9 - Quark's Isolinear Rods & Box - Small Mod, Huge Difference.

Very nice replicas!

I've always thought DS9 was underrated.

13. ecl

ecl Sr Member

Excellent work! DS9 is a great show :D

14. AGxM

AGxM Well-Known Member

Very nice Alan.

Yet another 'missed by the masses' prop

15. EchoOne

EchoOne New Member

Great work!
    Which size have your rods?

André

16. Alan Castillo

Thanks Andre :)

They are 9cms X 1.3cms (3.5" X 0.5")

17. Cmdr.Kerner

Cmdr.Kerner Sr Member

Great job on the box Alan,

one fellow member of the RPF asked me if I could replicate such a box for him. Attached are two pics of my WIP. But instead of balsa wood I took 3 mm thick PVC hard foam, the same material I used for my PADDs and the VISOR.

But what kind of color did you use for these box? Have you got a Duplicolor item #?

Thanks in advance

Dietrich

18. Alan Castillo

That's not a WIP, that's almost done :lol !

Looking fantastic Dietrich :)(y)thumbsup

You must post pics when finished :cool !

The paint I used was Plasti-Kote Spray, Metallic, Number 455, Antique Gold.

19. drknotter

drknotter Active Member

These look absolutely incredible! And I really like the display you've got going on - is that Tuvok's meditation candle from Voyager next to it?

20. Alan Castillo

Thanks :). Indeed it is :thumbsup Click on 'Vulcan Meditation Lamp' in my sig to see more.

21. drknotter

drknotter Active Member

:facepalm Should have seen it in your sig! Great work, love it! Coincidentally, I was totally watching Voyager when I stumbled across this. :lol

22. Petseal

Petseal Well-Known Member

An absolutely fantastic job! I am GREEN with envy :rolleyes
    I am also feeling a little guilty as I just sold some data rods on the bay, which I thought were very accurate but not so sure now! Mine where Cardassian Data rods so that may make a difference.
    Hope you do not mind but I would very much like to use your information to make one of these for myself. Quark's Data rod box is one prop I have been playing with on and off for awhile now, without too much success :unsure
    Many thanks for sharing and keep up the great work.

23. Alan Castillo

That's the idea :):thumbsup

24. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Awesome job! Love them all! :thumbsup

Knew exactly what you meant when you said "FAAAKES" in the title- I heard Vreenak's voice as I read it. :lol :thumbsup

Kevin

25. Petseal

I want to use styrene so can you tell me how thick the balsa wood you used was? Thanks, Petseal

26. Cmdr.Kerner

Cmdr.Kerner Sr Member

Thanks a lot for the information Alan.

Dietrich

27. Cueloopz

Cueloopz New Member

Really nice work .. looks excellent

28. Elvean

Elvean New Member

That came out wonderfully! You did a really great job on the set.

I've never worked with colored acrylics, but now I have a whole list of things I could probably do with them. Thank you for both the ideas and a great project to look at!

29. Alan Castillo

Thanks all :)

I used 4mm for the box itself, and 3mm for the side panels.

30. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Love how they came out, and In The Pale Moon Light....one of my favorite DS9 eps:)

31. Petseal

Thanks for the info and for the other info, I will check that out.

32. techno

techno Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello everyone,
    This prop is amazing and the box really makes them look ace.
    I had a question on how wide the copper tape and stickers you used?
    Can i also ask the width of the black sticker going up the side of the rod please?
    Are the colours of the rod Amber or Orange? Also are the rare blue ones a sea blue or just a opaque blue?
    Sorry for all the questions
    Cracking prop i hope to create my own soon :)

Many Thanks

Chris

33. Cmdr.Kerner

Cmdr.Kerner Sr Member

May I chime in?

According to Alan Castillos dimensions I created the attached graphic. Diameter is 1/2" and length 3 1/2".

Hope that helps.

Dietrich

34. Cmdr.Kerner

Cmdr.Kerner Sr Member

Hi guys,

thanks to Alan Castillo for the dimensions and help and Kertratz for the acrylic rods, here's now the finished case including 12 isolinear rods.

Keep on trekking

Dietrich

35. USS Endeav

USS Endeav Well-Known Member

Superbly done!

36. danny71198

danny71198 New Member

Great work on the isolinear rods I wanted to know what you used for the stripe running down the middle of the rods? sorry if you already posted it and i missed it. Also how did you achieved the squares on the top of the rods?

37. Alan Castillo

Vinyl stickers for the former, and copper stickers for the latter :thumbsup