Star Trek Boomerang Phaser "Starfleet Silver"

Hey prop enthusiasts hive-mind!
Some advise needed.
I'm in New Zealand and I'm getting a Star Trek Boomerang phaser 3d printed. Now for the 'Starfleet Silver" colour, unfortunately the dupli-colour range that would be used in the U.S. is quite limited here and the standard colours aren't readily available in New Zealand in 2022 eg.BGM0347, BGM0478, BFM0225, etc... I can get Gunmetal BGM0344 or Graphite BHA0928 dupli-colours that could work instead. Otherwise what would you suggest?

Any thoughts from the experts here?

I've also been pointed at these products (both of which are easily available here for once)
Silver colour of this:

Then as a clear coat, the clear version of this:

Thoughts?

7173 and 7179
IMG_5170.JPG

I've had GM15 mixed for me and it hasn't matched, not even close. Unless that's another case where the colors changed over the years but I've gotten the pre-1998 version.
They did change. And the GM15 is a lot darker then what you think. When the fans found out the color they used. Finding a can was getting very hard. So, they used what they could find that was close. And over the years, the darker met silver, has been lost. I have screen used props that have the 7173. And they are dark. This is so, they do not wash out under stage lights I still have cans of the plastic coat 7173, with the old metal top cans.

They did change. And the GM15 is a lot darker then what you think. When the fans found out the color they used. Finding a can was getting very hard. So, they used what they could find that was close. And over the years, the darker met silver, has been lost. I have screen used props that have the 7173. And they are dark. This is so, they do not wash out under stage lights I still have cans of the plastic coat 7173, with the old metal top cans.

This is what I got when I ordered a can of pre-1998 GM15, compared with a sample of 7173 from back in the day. It's too light and too gold. Label gives an alternate color code of WA929L.

If you have a sample or photo of a GM15 that matches, I'd love to see it.

PXL_20220227_175703066.jpg

Gm18 is also one of them as well

Aka WA216B; here's that color against 7173 when I was investigating color codes a couple years ago. It's a touch too saturated but it's the best color match I know of so far. (It looks closer in the photo than it does in hand.)

IMG_20200608_173905849.jpg

Man! What a rabbit hole! So I should be able to go to a local business that mixes automotive paints and ask for a rattle can of GM18 (or GM15) and they will know what I'm on about? Also do I still clearcoat it afterwards?

So I should be able to go to a local business that mixes automotive paints and ask for a rattle can of GM18 (or GM15) and they will know what I'm on about

Maybe. I'm not sure about GM18, but GM15 has a few different versions, indicated by a suffix letter, such as GM15U and GM15W. Those are pretty different colors from each other, and it also depends on if it's the pre- or post- 1998 color code, because GM shifted all their colors that year.

If you want to use GM18, I'd recommend asking for the more specific code WA216B, pre-1998 version. That should get you close.

I have some sheet plastic painted with the old 7173; I could snip a little bit of it and send it to you if you want a color chip to match. I'm in the US so not sure how expensive it might be.

Maybe. I'm not sure about GM18, but GM15 has a few different versions, indicated by a suffix letter, such as GM15U and GM15W. Those are pretty different colors from each other, and it also depends on if it's the pre- or post- 1998 color code, because GM shifted all their colors that year.

If you want to use GM18, I'd recommend asking for the more specific code WA216B, pre-1998 version. That should get you close.

I have some sheet plastic painted with the old 7173; I could snip a little bit of it and send it to you if you want a color chip to match. I'm in the US so not sure how expensive it might be.
Thank you for the info and offer :) As far as I know USPS isn't shipping to NZ at this time thanks to lack of flights etc... (covid supply line issues) so no worry there.
I've reached out to one or two places for quotes, it'll be interesting what they come back with.

Last edited:

This is what I got when I ordered a can of pre-1998 GM15, compared with a sample of 7173 from back in the day. It's too light and too gold. Label gives an alternate color code of WA929L.

If you have a sample or photo of a GM15 that matches, I'd love to see it.

View attachment 1550757

Aka WA216B; here's that color against 7173 when I was investigating color codes a couple years ago. It's a touch too saturated but it's the best color match I know of so far. (It looks closer in the photo than it does in hand.)

View attachment 1550759
I will this week. Mine matches the only metal lids. Comes in a lacquer base as well

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back