Star Trek Boomerang Phaser Completed

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

LEDMeastro101

Hi all! Just wanted to introduce myself and share my first proper prop build, Voyager version of the Type 2 Boomerang Phaser. Never built a prop before so this was an experience to say the least. When I was much younger, I modified a playmates phaser with a picaxe, laser and 9v battery. This included a working diagnostic mode that displayed the remaining battery level, something I currently miss in this version lol.

Like everyone else, I used Stapleton body and GM electronics. I was planning on modifying the emitter to house a laser but impatience got the better of me in the end. I’m over the moon with how it turned out! Not quite happy with the shine on the thumb pad but, overall, I’m very pleased.

I scoured this wonderful forum, reading through a whole load of other people’s builds and helped me immensely with the knowledge within their posts, from prep to paint and everything in between.

Next up is a custom base as the phaser (and my upcoming medical tricorder) are wireless charged as I didn’t like the idea of having to open up the prop or have a jack on the outside body. This will be arduino controlled with computer sound bytes for “diagnostic in progress” and “diagnostic complete” to let you know when it’s charging and charged respectively.

48FD8BFB-4002-48BD-AEC9-E7D1CBB8BE40.jpeg
5C506453-E461-4208-916A-801DFC2A9F0A.jpeg
ED00DFE6-BAD5-49A9-AF88-7FC576729756.jpeg
751A8F4B-8685-4433-A3D0-782E543F840F.jpeg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

mrwax

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That looks great, and wireless charging is an AWESOME idea. What'd you use for the blue strip on the bottom? And what kind of paints did you go with?

LEDMeastro101

Lol thanks! The blue strip came with the kit from Stapleton. As for paints, I used white then Grey primer, base coat of Hycote Vauxhall Smoke Grey with a very light dusting of Hycote Audi Dakota Grey. Then just a couple of coats of clear. For the black parts I used Hycote Matt black. If I were to do anything differently then I’d use a semi gloss or Matt clear coat on the thumb pad as I’m not too keen on the shine.