Star Trek Beyond costume thread

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by TheWaitingRoman, Aug 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TheWaitingRoman

TheWaitingRoman Active Member

So today Screen Crush got a hold of exclusive video of filming for STB along with lots of good, hi-res photos. Subsequently Paramount struck down the copyright gavel and pulled it but I managed to save it all from a cache download.

View attachment Star-Trek-Beyond-04.jpg View attachment Star-Trek-Beyond-10.jpg View attachment Star-Trek-Beyond-13.jpg

Looks like an overhaul on many levels. I for one am in love with this new uniform that Kirk and Chekov are sporting. But it looks like even the the orignial ST and STID shirts got a revamp. Obviously a lot of this is custom work but have a feeling the boots are motorcycle off the shelf's much like the DKNYs.

2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, Looks like they came out with a new away team Uni and minor tweaks on the rest

3. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

Interesting direction they are taking, is he Captain Kirk or Captain America! They should have been wearing the standard duty shirt under the jacket, it would have made the uniform look less like a Marvel suit and more like starfleet. The Phaser holster is looking a bit too Star Wars, although the original Star Trek concept was a western in space so I can let it slide.

4. sapper36

sapper36 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hmm- Scotty's neck looks tighter - Pants look plainer - Boots look about the same.

5. sapper36

sapper36 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And I think He's wearing a watch. Black undershirt is long sleeved.

BTW - When do we get a dedicated Star Trek Sub-forum under Popular Franchises ???!!!

Unfated likes this.
  6. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

Looks like they have dropped the chevron pattern and gone with solid color, also they changed to a more traditional shoulder cut. I always loved the original shirt cut and it was one of the only things in the reboot that I liked, another nail in the coffin, not that I was planning on seeing this one away, hated HATED "Into darkness". BTW I saw a set photo that looked like a crashed Enterprise,Star Trek III or Generations, ripoff.....again..do they have any new ideas?

Unfated likes this.
  7. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Active Member

I get they're taking a lot of cues from Guardians of the Galaxy to make it more "fun", but that doesn't mean they should abandon the TOS aesthetics.
    Would have preferred something more like this:
    Excursion.jpg

Obi_Don likes this.
  8. Obi_Don

Obi_Don Well-Known Member

That looks great. It does seem like everyone wears a dark grey/black undershirt, and their department colors are on their duty tunic or space suit or underwater suit etc. The exception would be their flight jackets in STID when they are on the shuttles. They had 'windows' to their duty tunics below.

again, PS job. looks great.

-Don

9. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Also note the darker panels on the sides of the torso. The black collar, more prominent than ever in "Into Darkness," has been reduced to just a black piping strip at the top of the collar.

Or maybe they're wearing the black undershirt with a slightly higher collar, under the color tunic. Scotty also seems to be sporting some kind of smart watch.

It has been pointed out that a makeup table shot of Quinto last month showed the new tunic and nobody noticed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vs Quinto in "Into Darkness"

[​IMG]

10. Apollo

I wonder if they are still using double sided tape to keep the insignias on? :lol

11. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Whoa! Classic Spaceman style!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Unfated

Unfated Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have to be honest the best thing about the new movies were the uniforms. I thought they did a great reimagining of the classic tunics. Now they are even ****ing those up.

13. Risu

Risu Master Member

They already ****ed them up a little in Into Darkness, making the raglan seams curve too much to the point of collapsing in on themselves. I wasn't a fan of the numerous new uniform variants in the last movie and it looks like the same deal this time around, except now we completely lose the original tunics. Let's hope the story is good.

Unfated likes this.
  14. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

Why would you entertain the thought that the film will be anything other than a complete debacle like the first two films. From the beginning J.J.Abrams concept for Star Trek was flawed, not being a fan(first Red Flag), not watching the previous films(second Red Flag), and finally clearly not understanding or respecting the basic philosophy of Star Trek's future universe. J.J.Abrams biggest mistake was his version of the Classic Star Trek characters which other than their names bare little resemblance to their originals. I have been reading the accounts of J.J.Abrams next project,Star Wars episode VII, which is what one would have hoped for the new Star Trek, he loves and adores The original films, more importantly he respects them, I will watch this movie because I too love Star Wars. But Star Trek will always be my first love, perhaps in a few years a new voice will raise and bring trek back the way it was meant to be.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Apollo likes this.
  15. Risu

Risu Master Member

Well JJ Abrams isn't so much involved in this one. It's a bit of a departure in terms of crew, even though the cast is the same and it's a sequel, not a reboot. It has the chance to turn around and be a good Trek movie. But the costumes aren't looking great.

Unfated likes this.
  16. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Active Member

So, I'm starting to like the new uniform (still meh on the field jacket getup though). I'm seeing it somewhat like the season 3 TNG uniform. They want it to look less like a shirt and more like a uniform so that modern audiences better understand. I get it, just which the color was totally black, not just the trim.

17. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm glad they are changing up the standard uniform. Give these movies their own look and identity rather than a slightly weird version of the 60's show.

Riceball likes this.
  18. redshirt

redshirt Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Has any company announced that they are releasing a replica of the modified new phaser with the horizontal slit barrel? Quantum Mechanix did the last 2 versions, but no word from them yet despite the upcoming release date in July.

19. Phantombatman

Phantombatman Active Member

The new Outdoor uniform looks like one from STAR TREK ONLINE, maybe they have a deal with them?

20. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

the new uniforms. not quite sure about them but uniforms seem to change alot in star trek anyway.

ps, am i the only one that think Chris Pine is quite well suited for the role as Kirk?

Nicholaus likes this.
  21. redshirt

redshirt Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Chris Pine has definitely done a good job of having an on screen presence as the Captain.

22. kialna

kialna Sr Member

In the Beyond photos his hair does resemble Shatner a lot more than in 2009 and Into Darkness... I don't mind. :)

23. blue72

blue72 New Member

Simon Pegg's official Twitter news account posted an on-set picture of him just now. I recognized the watch he was wearing immediately. It is a Tokyoflash Barcode SS. I happen to own one and knew exactly what it was, so I had to register to let others know. Not a smartwatch by any means. It actually has a series of stacked LED lights in each slot that illuminate in columns to display the time. They no longer make this particular model.

24. Zlurpo

Zlurpo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If anyone can identify the type of fabric used on the jackets in these photos, that'd be awesome. I don't even know where to look. Maybe an upholstery fabric?

texture.jpg
    fabric detail.jpg

25. DrRodnayMcKay

DrRodnayMcKay New Member

Hey there.
    I have made some rather good screen caps of the latest trailer, so here they are.
    We can see interesting details, like the stitchnig or the zippr in the back of the neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The6thSyd likes this.
  26. zakass98

zakass98 Member

What type or where would you get the trousers for a kirk costume?

27. Baron Radium

Baron Radium New Member

DrRodnayMcKay likes this.
  28. HaVoC373

HaVoC373 Active Member

Having just seen the film i definetly want to try my hand at making the planetside uniform that kirk wears.

29. Picard102

Picard102 New Member

30. KyleReese2015

KyleReese2015 Active Member

Well film budgets are like Tramp's wallet. Huge and limitless.
    I do like that they are going towards the solid colors and fabric rather than the pattern shirts. The raglan cut from the originals translated somewhat well to Star Trek 1 and 2. I liked 2, but for the characters. In TOS, the characters were just as I interesting. But Abrams is a brilliant man. Look at his earlier work and TFA and you'll see that he has got something.
    Anovos has started preorder for the new uniforms. But only the shirts and not the pants or boots. Too pricey for me, and I would rather make my own red shirt.
    (Yes you read that right. Red. Shirt)
    Now to find a raglan cut red shirt...

31. Andy3E

Andy3E Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any idea on the material for the Shirts? I spoke with Anovos at Star Wars Celebrations and they told me they had been unable to source the exact material that was used in the film, from prototype photos on their site the shirts they have look more like a will twill, I think they have them on display at SDCC so would love some photos if anyone is there

32. Sakura1618

Sakura1618 Jr Member

Yeah, I think somehow I will not be trying to do this one.

33. KyleReese2015

KyleReese2015 Active Member

Maybe someone can custom make boots for less

34. joshspiderman23

joshspiderman23 Sr Member

studio boheme could probably do it, they did my custom dkny faux leather boots, for my kirk

35. Sakura1618

Sakura1618 Jr Member

I'd kind of forgotten they were out there. Would've saved me a lot of headaches.

36. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Anybody know if Anovos is doing the pants too?

Sean

37. RiotJavelinDX

RiotJavelinDX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Definitely custom screen printing to some degree there

38. Andy3E

They just announced in the Live Stream they will be doing the pants, and i think they said the Jacket will have a $500 Price point which is a little disappointing was hoping more the $250-$300

39. DrRodnayMcKay

DrRodnayMcKay New Member

Personally, I was thinking about a jersey or knit with maybe a metallic finish for the gold tunic.

40. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Interesting... They just replied to my question on their Facebook page and said, "Not at this time..."

Sean

41. Andy3E

watch the last 'Live' video (it has BB8 on the thumbnail)

42. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

Time for me to eat my words, I saw the film Star Trek: Beyond and .. I really liked it, in fact the more I think about the film the more I like it. It felt like the original series, I don't want to be a spoiler so i will not get into the plot. Besides being a good Star Trek film I think it's just a good movie. Everyone should go and see it.

43. zakass98

zakass98 Member

Anyone have a good picture of Kirks trousers or know what colour and design they are? Meaning the ones he wears with the tunic not the survival jacket.

44. DrRodnayMcKay

DrRodnayMcKay New Member

If i'm correct, they are rather charcoal grey than black, made of some poly/nylon material, like hiking pants.

You can have decent shot at them in the video made by Tested about the Beyond uniform:
    http://www.tested.com/art/makers/577106-adam-savages-star-trek-beyond-costume/

45. johnny5676

johnny5676 Active Member

i saw this on aliexpress, thought i should drop it here

46. RiotJavelinDX

Anovos announced their Survival jacket. $575

47. johnny5676

johnny5676 Active Member

48. Sakura1618

Sakura1618 Jr Member

I'm pretty leery about ordering anything from there really.

49. Apollo

At that price I wonder if the run will even generate enough orders to justify the run...:unsure

50. RiotJavelinDX

The price is concerning but their pricing model never makes sense. Want a replica Beyond uniform DRESS? $160. Want a Beyond uniform SHIRT that uses only 55ish% of the same material? $160.