Star Trek 5 + 6 Command Chair Arm Buttons/Controls

Jediscum

So, I've decided to finally get going with a command chair build from the Enterprise-A. I've picked up a couple executive chairs that are fairly close to the model used in the films. I'm narrowing down which fabric I want to go with (either light grey or dark grey) and have some ideas about constructing the arms. What I don't have is any idea what the buttons near the hand rests look like.

I've scoured over as many screenshots from the films as I could find and while I've gotten enough of a look to see that there is "something" there, I can't make out any detail. Wondering if anyone here has seen any behind the scenes photos or has any info on this detail.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• tuchd0095.jpeg
    tuchd0095.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 464
  • tffhd1524.jpeg
    tffhd1524.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 548
OK I have NEVER seen an accurate fan build of one of these!

Was the base chair completely custom or a found furniture piece originally?

Last edited:
I recall seeing an original black and white artwork setup for negative processing back in the early 90s. It was either in the old Star Trek Magazine or in one of the behind the scene books. From what I recall, it was nothing more than a series of square buttons done in the same style as the other consoles featured in the film(s).

I’ll look in my long retired tub of old Star Trek books/magazines.

I know when I watched the fils I originally assumed they looked something like this...

IMG_7466.jpg

This is a portion of the ST:VI helm/nav station (I believe).

But from what I recall, there wasn’t any effort on the backlit transparency to create any function, It was just rounded squares/buttons and meaningless numbers.

If I find the image I’m referring to I’ll post it here.

Hope this helps at least a little. Good luck.

OK I have NEVER seen an accurate fan build of one of these!

Was the base chair completely custom of a found furniture piece originally?

Honestly, I do not know. I actually had started a thread many years ago re: the original Refit chairs that sidetracked into the later TFF and TUC chair. An RPF member posted about using a tall back executive chair as a base for a chair he built and it seemed like a decent starting point. It's difficult to figure out the exact shape as the chair appears to be covered with a slip cover. The black sections on the sides are certainly covered in fabric.

Kirk's Captain's Chair from the movies - Anyone ever do one??

I recall seeing an original black and white artwork setup for negative processing back in the early 90s. It was either in the old Star Trek Magazine or in one of the behind the scene books. From what I recall, it was nothing more than a series of square buttons done in the same style as the other consoles featured in the film(s).

I’ll look in my long retired tub of old Star Trek books/magazines.

I know when I watched the fils I originally assumed they looked something like this...

View attachment 1012299

This is a portion of the ST:VI helm/nav station (I believe).

But from what I recall, there wasn’t any effort on the backlit transparency to create any function, It was just rounded squares/buttons and meaningless numbers.

If I find the image I’m referring to I’ll post it here.

Hope this helps at least a little. Good luck.

Thanks Baja Tym, that is definitely helpful. I would certainly be interested in seeing those pics if you can find them. I would agree that there doesn't appear to be any lighting involved and it would make sense to keep the same aesthetic throughout the bridge. I have considered adding lighting/graphics and functional switches if I was not able to identify the actual setup.

Maybe these graphics help.

Dietrich

Attachments

• 7,5 x 3 inches.jpg
    7,5 x 3 inches.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 392
  • 5788-2fe.jpg
    5788-2fe.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 325
  • 5788-1fe.jpg
    5788-1fe.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 343
IIRC, the ST5/6 command chair sold in the big auction some years back. Probably some decent pics of it there if you can find them.

Maybe these graphics help.

Dietrich

Those are definitely the right style, but look too large to fit in the space available on the arms. Thank you though, if I end up having to just wing it those will be helpful.

IIRC, the ST5/6 command chair sold in the big auction some years back. Probably some decent pics of it there if you can find them.

I have found only 2 pictures from that auction of the chair, neither of which were helpful in terms of the buttons. I am surprised that no pictures have surfaced since the auction, but I haven't seen any.

I found my tub of Star Trek books/magazines and pulled them out. I'll get back to you if I find anything!

Okay, well I wasn't able to find what I was thinking of, but I did find these two images. They're both from ST:VI, one is of the Enterprise and the other is from the Excelsior. They look as though there isn't any content in the upper half of the control "wedge"...I don't know what else to call it. It would be smart to refrain from adding controls/inputs to the upper half, this would give the user a firm place to grab when standing/sitting.

Also I'd be surprised if both bridges used the same chairs, but were reupholstered between ship/bridge shootings (just like ST:II).

exc_chair.jpg

IMG_7667.jpg

Okay, well I wasn't able to find what I was thinking of, but I did find these two images. They're both from ST:VI, one is of the Enterprise and the other is from the Excelsior. They look as though there isn't any content in the upper half of the control "wedge"...I don't know what else to call it. It would be smart to refrain from adding controls/inputs to the upper half, this would give the user a firm place to grab when standing/sitting.

Also I'd be surprised if both bridges used the same chairs, but were reupholstered between ship/bridge shootings (just like ST:II).]

Thanks for those. There are so many "almost" pics out there.

And yes, I always believed the two bridges were the same set simply redressed. I was hoping that might help in finding better views of the chair by searching both Excelsior and Enterprise, but so far no luck. Looks like i'll need to just come up with something on my own.

Thanks again for looking!

FWIW, I actually built a 3D version of this chair and am looking for the same information.
TUC captains chair_003.png

Based on the reference material available, I came up with this as the shape for the black part:
Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 12.56.26 PM.png

This is accurate to the dimensions on that auction listing you all found (though I only found a single shot of it). That shape is of course based on the black fabric wrap, but there is almost certainly a commercial chair hiding under that. I can't tell you the exact one used, of course, but I have absolutely seen chairs of that general shape and proportions. It's probably a somewhat older office chair (not of the modern ergonomic variety) and could possibly be one of those molded plastic single-piece things. If anyone ever does manage to find it, I'd love to hear about it.

Regarding the overall ST:VI sets, yes, one was a redress of the other. That's actually been publicly stated in a roundabout way (all of the scenes for one were filmed before all of the scenes for the other, probably Excelsior first since the auction chair was the Enterprise upholstery).

So, I've decided to finally get going with a command chair build from the Enterprise-A. I've picked up a couple executive chairs that are fairly close to the model used in the films. I'm narrowing down which fabric I want to go with (either light grey or dark grey) and have some ideas about constructing the arms. What I don't have is any idea what the buttons near the hand rests look like.

I've scoured over as many screenshots from the films as I could find and while I've gotten enough of a look to see that there is "something" there, I can't make out any detail. Wondering if anyone here has seen any behind the scenes photos or has any info on this detail.

Thanks for any help in advance.
I know it's been a while, but did you finish this project?

FWIW, I actually built a 3D version of this chair and am looking for the same information.
View attachment 1346956

Based on the reference material available, I came up with this as the shape for the black part:
View attachment 1346957
This is accurate to the dimensions on that auction listing you all found (though I only found a single shot of it). That shape is of course based on the black fabric wrap, but there is almost certainly a commercial chair hiding under that. I can't tell you the exact one used, of course, but I have absolutely seen chairs of that general shape and proportions. It's probably a somewhat older office chair (not of the modern ergonomic variety) and could possibly be one of those molded plastic single-piece things. If anyone ever does manage to find it, I'd love to hear about it.

Regarding the overall ST:VI sets, yes, one was a redress of the other. That's actually been publicly stated in a roundabout way (all of the scenes for one were filmed before all of the scenes for the other, probably Excelsior first since the auction chair was the Enterprise upholstery).
Really impressed with the lines and curves of your model.

I've been searching for information on this chair for ages.
I'm wondering if its based upon a chair from a motor home or boat from around 1991?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back