Star Trek 4

I still have my fingers crossed that eventually they will do a TNG movie with Captain Crusher commanding a new Enterprise. :)

Because when you have the knowledge to do everything better than the most professionally trained crewman, can create an entirely new life form during a school experiment, complete tasks in seconds that the chief engineer said would take weeks to accomplish.... WHILE DRUNK and obtain god like powers of the Traveller, why would he want to command a freaking starship?

Because when you have the knowledge to do everything better than the most professionally trained crewman, can create an entirely new life form during a school experiment, complete tasks in seconds that the chief engineer said would take weeks to accomplish.... WHILE DRUNK and obtain god like powers of the Traveller, why would he want to command a freaking starship?

To crush the fans who are haters. That's why. :lol ;)

The worst is that the writer got lazy or for some other reason decided to have Khan transport directly from Earth to Kronos. At this point they barely need ships. In this universe when the Voyager gets pulled into the Delta quadrant all the have to do is leap frog through transporters until they get home. A couple of weeks, tops.

What I disagree with is the implication that the writer wasn't already so lazy that it's amazing the script was written down rather than simply read out to the actors over the phone while they shot it.

Promoting a cadet to captain, back to cadet, invite him to a meeting of the joint chiefs, then back to captain...are there only 6 people total in the federation? That's not a federation, it's barely enough for a decent card game. Can you even imaging that in the Real world? "This guy is kind of a problem student at Annapolis, but I really like the cut of his jib...I'm putting him in command of the Lincoln carrier."

Also, what made Khan a compelling villain is not that he had a cool name that reminds us of mongol hordes (and the tiger from Jungle book). It's that Kirk is the one who made him such a villain. He was originally kind of villain-y but not super evil. Then Kirk stranded him on a planet that died, killing his wife, and never came back to check on him. It was a personal vengeance that cost Kirk his best friend (as opposed to the annoying guy he just met, yet wants as his Captain because..again...not enough for a card game). Also he wasn't super human. He had good genes. Stronger than normal, but ultimately Kirk beat him in a fist fight because it was a story about how good-old experience and know-how beats being born with advantages.

Everything about it was lazy.

Which is a shame because I thought the actors did a good job. The effects were great, the music was great. We're told that JJ is capable of directing, and there IS some evidence to support that. But really, all of that only makes it sadder.

You had everything going for you...good cast, solid look, great music, beloved franchise, recognizable characters, good director...why waste all of that on such an abortion of a script? (BTW. I like JJ's directing, other than that he had to, at some point, sign off on this and not notice the plot holes big enough to fly a starship through. It's worrisome).

Edit: I admit, old trek had it's problems. A few movies and episodes we just don't talk about anymore. It needed a bit of spice to work for a new generation and JJ DID deliver on that score. It's just that it's now been build on a foundation that has too many holes. It wont stand up in the long run like they hope it will.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back