Star Trek 4

Oh. Okay. I have the problem You just keep dreaming your ST fantasy movie. I'll just move along.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Enlighten me . What am not getting?

image.jpg

No , bad decisions, mainly, bad scripts opened up the current mess.

The old star trek films were dying, the tv shows were dying, JJ breathed new life into the franchise, if its not your trek, good, your trek is what killed trek.

No , bad decisions, mainly, bad scripts opened up the current mess.
That and the fact that Paramount wanted a blockbuster franchise with movies that make far more than any Trek movie ever made in the past. All they had to do to achieve that was change everything that made Trek what it was and turn it into a generic special effects driven summer franchise with stories that are utterly forgetable.

That and the fact that Paramount wanted a blockbuster franchise with movies that make far more than any Trek movie ever made in the past. All they had to do to achieve that was change everything that made Trek what it was and turn it into a generic special effects driven summer franchise with stories that are utterly forgetable.

And you know... the producers, writers and actors telling the fans to fu** off and that THEY'RE the ones who make movies.

So Insurrection and Nemesis were great movies then?

justadangminute_zpsxmmn1707.png

Star Trek is my favorite franchise of all time, but I'm not so devoted to it that I won't acknowledge that a lot of stuff it's put out there is straight up bad. Insurrection followed up on what was a very promising start at a full TNG focused movie and squandered it into a below average mediocrity that has since drowned in irrelevancy. Nemesis was so horribly mishandled that nobody knew how to properly handle the characters. You want to emphasize how different Picard and Shinzon are? The movie could have been saved if you had only worked Picard's artificial heart into the story since that was such a crucial character developing moment for him in the series and it would have given Picard something TANGIBLE to show Shinzon that the events in one's life do have a lasting impact on who you are! GOD DANGIT! How could they have missed that opportunity?

And a lot of the problems I see in Nemesis I still see in these new movies. We have a need for a film to appeal to a greater audience, we have writers who really don't understand the characters, we have scenes written for pure self-indulgence and an almost complete lack of respect for the source material. I fear if I list how they mishandled Khan I'd be reported for spamming so I'll just leave it there.

Whatever good faith Trek09 brought to the entertainment industry, it did not carry over with Into Darkness. It was more of the same and didn't promise us anything new. If the next film doesn't have Carol Marcus or follow up on the whole Klingon schtick that was beaten into our heads, the film is completely skippable. Trek09 ends with their five year long mission and there was no 'Khan' incident. I mean, Kirk's death and resurrection was handled with all the grace of an episodic reset button rather than a moment that stuck with the characters long past the film.

I am not going to say Darkness was as good as 09, although it did have some great visuals.

However none permanent deaths have been the staple of the original series.

Kirk's death in Amok Time, Scotty killed by Apollo and Nomad, most of the crew being turned into tetrahedrons, McCoy's fatal illness, suddenly cured by the end of the episode, Uhura's complete brain wipe, everything back to normal the next week.

And that is just TOS, you want to talk about reducing dramatic impact. Remember how terrible it was seeing the enterprise burn in star trek 3? And how it just wasn't the same in Generations?

That is because by the time generations came along we had already seen the enterprise D blow up seven times.

The sins of the JJ films are there, but to say they aren't true to the series that came before utilises a very selective memory.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back