star trek 3 tricorder

What size red LEDs did you use: 3mm, 5mm, etc? I'm making a non-electric version but wanted to use similar materials.
From his posted photo, I'd say it looks like he's using 5mm.

20190312_230907.jpg

Last edited:
What did you use for the 4 display screen pieces?

Even though this isn’t my build, you’ll need 4 square (8.89 x 8.89mm) LED light bars, Kingbright, manufacture PN: KB2755YW, ~$1.80 ea. I like using yellow, but you can get them in just about any color. Just note that the part number I’ve given reflects yellow.

- James

heer is what i have started so far any sugestion would greatly be apreaciated. steveView attachment 999299 View attachment 999300 View attachment 999300 View attachment 999301 View attachment 999303
I have the same 3D printed tricorder that I am working on now. Did the Grayhill buttons slide easily into the slots or did you have to make major adjustments to the model? I am debating on whether to use the 3D printed buttons or use Grayhills. Also, what were you planning for the rear display screen?

Are there any resin kits for the STIII tricorder out there that anyone knows about? I'll probably take a crack at this printed version, but It would be awesome to have a resin kit.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 112
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 103
  • A8.jpg
    A8.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 113
I made my own 3D printable files using measurements and reference photos of screen accurate version of this! I cannot advertise here but I think it's ok to share some images of what I made:
Your design looks great and I really like how you engineered the interior mechanism. Also, congrats overcome the mistake nearly every custom reproduction makes, you seem to have correctly rendered the hood curvature/shape/rounding. I have some unsharable photos of the actual ST3 prop and a resin cast, you're looks great. -- Well done. I hope you print and share one so we can can all see a finished replica.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what each of us want.
Do you want a cheap, inaccurate prop or do you want a high end accurate prop.
Don't judge. Some folks just can't afford the more accurate, higher end piece but they want a representation of the piece. Nothing wrong with that. Hell, I have some inaccurate pieces in my collection that are close enough, but the piece just doesn't mean that much to me.
And honestly, at the end of the day, the majority of the people that view your collection will have no clue if it's accurate or not, much less even know what it is!
I could not have said it better funky. I guess it boils down to, do you want a prop that the average person would recognize and think it’s cool beyond belief, yet you wouldn’t dare show up to a fellow RPF’r?

I could not have said it better funky. I guess it boils down to, do you want a prop that the average person would recognize and think it’s cool beyond belief, yet you wouldn’t dare show up to a fellow RPF’r?
Pesonally the props that give me the greatest joy are the ones that I enjoyed, worked the project and the experience of building the most. They may not be pin sharp accurate or that I have decided to modify to add greater value for myself, it's not always about getting everything canon accurate for some.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back