Limited Run Star Lord VOL.2 Element Guns, accurate versions of both blaster variants

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all.

I've updated my Element Gun models to be accurate to the Vol 2 look. I can offer BOTH angled and straight versions, with or without side cutouts.

Changes include:
  • Cutout areas (or no cutouts optional)
  • Angled lower barrel (or flat version optional)
  • Slightly smaller size (the first ones were HUGE)
  • Muzzle alterations
  • Adjusted vent cutouts and barrel ridges
  • NEW FEATURE: Removable Power Cell/Battery in the upper barrel (twist-locks into place)
  • Slightly adjusted panel lines

The guns have hollowed out areas in case you want to add electronics and if you add springs, you can have a moving trigger. You will need a few hex screws to complete the kit (not included due to metric/imperial differences) - especially if you intend to have electronics (the battery is best placed in the lower barrel housing).

These are also VERY lightweight (just over 500 grams for BOTH) which stops them from dragging down your pants (as I've heard resin castings of these tend to do). And if you want the weight, you can always add some metal in a hollowed out area.

Each kit can take at least a couple weeks (or more, depending on current workload) to make and ship. Kits are made in order of payment. Please note that the cost of these may go up at any time.

Current cost for a set of two is currently $400

Electronics tip: The electronics in the tiny silver/orange Disney Store toy guns will fit inside these with some simple mods (such as longer wires and a thinner AAA or penlight battery holder).

Like so:

Photos:

A set of (almost) finished guns of this kit:
Made for a static display which is why there are wires running out the sides of the grips, which were hydro-dipped. Alclad II paints were used for the bright metal, sealed with 2-part automotive clear before weathering. Gunmetal color is a mix of Vallejo's "Metalizer" range.
attachment.jpg

The "raw" angled kit glued/taped together and disassembled
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• weathered2.jpg
    weathered2.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 528
  • weathered1.jpg
    weathered1.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 470
  • angled_kit.jpg
    angled_kit.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,646
  • angled2.jpg
    angled2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,331
  • angled3.jpg
    angled3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,146
  • minortweaks.jpg
    minortweaks.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 791
  • Vol2BLJFX.jpg
    Vol2BLJFX.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:
Re: Star Lord Vol2 "BENT" version Element Guns kit

Just to clarify some details: These will be a little smaller than the Vol 1, will have the wider muzzle, no emitter electrodes, bent grip and other details to conform to the Vol 2 "stunt action" version of the pistols. More renders will be up soon as I'm still tweaking a few things.

Making some revisions on the kit to make it easier to build. Will have a photo of the revised version soon. (The first kits will be shipping out in the next couple of weeks.)

So Vol.1 gun is the same in vol.2 not like he's changed his gun or added any bits to it?

??

He stated
v2 has cutouts
smaller over-all
wider muzzle...

etc..etc.

Yes, exactly! There are quite a few changes. Plus the lower barrel is angled slightly. : )

I'll need to watch Vol.2 movie to get the effects/features of the gun itself..

I kind of want to make an electronics kit for it!..

Similar to ones I made for these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj58wl-aT0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEFNH2zFVy4

Anyone have a link to a video with the v2 guns in action perhaps?

* I wanna start making a feature list on how things are supposed to look & feel.

Thanks!

Nice effects!

In Vol 2, the top barrels of the guns get used a lot and they shoot yellow "lighting" energy. There are some places in the film where you really hear how they sound... kinda retro with a sparky-electric vibe. Can't remember if the lower barrels were used, but in Vol 1 they shoot blue lightning that stuns. Nebula has an Element Gun in the film as well (I'm modeling it as well) but it only has one barrel, and looks a bit more flashy.

I my kits, you need to house the battery in the lower barrel portion since it's made to be mountable with one screw. The top has two areas that can hold a small circuit board, but since I've added the removable power cell (seen in the movie) you have a little less space. The grips are hollow, so that you can run wires through them.

I'll need to watch Vol.2 movie to get the effects/features of the gun itself..

I kind of want to make an electronics kit for it!..

Similar to ones I made for these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj58wl-aT0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEFNH2zFVy4

Anyone have a link to a video with the v2 guns in action perhaps?

* I wanna start making a feature list on how things are supposed to look & feel.

Thanks!

Nice effects!

In Vol 2, the top barrels of the guns get used a lot and they shoot yellow "lighting" energy. There are some places in the film where you really hear how they sound... kinda retro with a sparky-electric vibe. Can't remember if the lower barrels were used, but in Vol 1 they shoot blue lightning that stuns. Nebula has an Element Gun in the film as well (I'm modeling it as well) but it only has one barrel, and looks a bit more flashy.

I my kits, you need to house the battery in the lower barrel portion since it's made to be mountable with one screw. The top has two areas that can hold a small circuit board, but since I've added the removable power cell (seen in the movie) you have a little less space. The grips are hollow, so that you can run wires through them.

Thanks!

So:

* Top Barrel: yellow lighting/leds.. (is there any sort of animation or special feature to the effect?)
* Bottom Barrel: blue lighting/led.. (is there any sort of animation or special feature to the effect?) (at least for the V1)

My electronic kits are pretty veersatile in that the sound effects are housed on a microSD card.. so you can swap them out to be whatever sounds you want really..
and I custom write the code/firmware so the prop behaves like the it does in the movies (or game or whatever)

I'll have to wait to see some actual clips of it from the movie.

The DC-17 was done to mirror the video game Republic Commandos game play.

Looking forward to your Nebula gun!

Thanks!
So...

I've only seen the film once so far, so I don't' remember everything. They DO have a distinct firing sound though.

OK EVERYONE. The first kits are about to be sent out and I have updated the first post with more details and photos of the final parts!

Also... Volume 2 is AWESOME. Really, REALLY awesome.

Re: Star Lord VOL.2 "ANGLED" Blasters kit

3D printed, correct? How is the print quality, can I see an up-close?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Re: Star Lord VOL.2 "ANGLED" Blasters kit

3D printed, correct? How is the print quality, can I see an up-close?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It varies across the kit, depending on the part. A place with extreme overhang (like the underside of the trigger guards, see middle photo) will be rough and require more filler or higher grit sanding, since it's essentially printing in mid-air. Sometimes you have to accept a 95% perfect part with one area that needs fixing instead of a part that is consistently mediocre all around. Temperature variations also play a part and sometimes leave marks or dimples that need to be scraped off. But the photos below show typical smooth surfaces that make up most of any kit (lef and right) and one "worst case" area (middle photo). The one on the right was printed "standing"- if it had been printed lying down, the curve would have been full or "stepping". I am often told that my prints are among the cleanest folks have seen. You CAN sand them glass-smooth without using filler, because the PLA I use lends itself to sanding pretty well, but I always use spray filler-primer anyway because it does save time. (They can't compete with a high-end resin printer in smoothness or details, not even close, but they are more durable and don't cost nearly as much.)

quality.jpg quality3.jpg quality2.jpg

Re: Star Lord VOL.2 Element Guns, both versions

For those that want the "flat" version of the guns I can do those as well.

Also:

Electronics tip: The electronics in the tiny cheap silver/orange Disney Store toy guns will fit inside these with some simple mods (such as longer wires and a thinner AAA or penlight battery holder).

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back