Unlimited Run Star Lord Lenses and eye sockets

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Risu

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, I finally have the free time to get this up. I'm offering the components for very accurate Star Lord eyes in kit form. They consist of laser cut and engraved lenses, 3D printed eye sockets from Shapeways, and an accurate LED strip for each eye with wires soldered on. All you need to complete the kit is a 9 volt battery and a connector for it. I won't be soldering the battery holder onto the eye wires because different people will want different lengths of wire, but I will post detailed pictures on how the wires should be soldered. For those who haven't been following this in my build thread, the lenses are engraved with an accurate pattern and the the blue is color matched to the real helmet. The blue lens also cancels out all red light, so the LEDs right in front of your eyes not only DON'T blind you, but you can't see them at all when you're wearing it.

(Please note, the black lens frame in this picture was just something I mocked up for the prototype, it's not part of the assembly.)

Here are the instructions for installing your kits into your helmets.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tjfgdfn09n2ikk/Eye Socket Instructions.pdf?dl=0

I will be producing the lenses myself and cutting the LED strips to the correct length and soldering on the wires.

Lenses (two blue and two clear), and two LED strips: $20

Please post in this thread if you're interested, and which helmet you want them for. If it's a helmet other than the MDuckett, please provide accurate dimensions for the eye socket in your helmet. The fit has to be very close, so measure carefully. Once I have measurements, I'll make a new listing on Shapeways for that type of helmet.

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Soulinertia

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'll take a set. I have the MDuckett helmet as well.

Just to be clear, that price is for the pair of sockets on Shapeways, not per socket correct?

Risu

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Shapeways print is a pair of sockets, yes.

The lenses can be made to whatever diameter you need. That being said, I wouldn't recommend not getting the sockets, as the lenses and lights need to go together in a specific way to look right, and unless the helmet you got has drastically oversized bezels, hollowing out the space you need is very likely to punch through to the outside.

justanuthercap

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Interested. I'm in the third run of rgriesbeck and therocketeer helmet so I don't have it yet for dimensions.

TheRocketeer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I wouldn't mind grabbing a set of these :) see how they look in my helmet..if I ever get to keep one myself :p

jrenemtz321

I'm in. I've got a Davy helmet. I'm a bit confused how to measure, though. Should I measure the lenses that came with Davy's kit or the actual eye sockets?

Risu

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
TheRocketeer if you could give me a measurement of the eye sockets on your helmet, that would be super helpful.
jrenemtz321 you should measure across the outermost part of the eye socket, below the chamfer, so flat side to flat side. You also need to be careful to make sure your caliper or whatever you're using is parallel/perpendicular to the front edge of the eye socket. If you measure it at an angle the dimensions will be slightly skewed. Here's a picture that will hopefully help with the first part.

EyeMeasurement_zps0ab75491.jpg

The blue ring is the measurement I need.
Trekcollector did you want two eyes or two sets of eyes?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

jrenemtz321

i don't have a caliper but i'll see what i can do. hopefully, somebody else with a davy bucket will chime in.

TheRocketeer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK if you are wanting to cut out the entire "socket" then I would be out.. the structure of the face on my helmet kinda needs those 2 rings to be there so its solid.. I would much rather not try and dremal out a perfect circle then try to glue this in.. structure plus just the complication of making it look proper... and the fact the eyes on mine are not completely round...